PROTEIN: Is there such a thing as too much?

Options
124»

Replies

• erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    also heard younger you are more carbs and as you age less carbs more protein because your metabolism changes with age

Much depends on activity more than anything. Individuals who are for the most part sedentary can thrive on a low carb diet....people who exercise a lot are going to have a pretty tough go of it because you don't' have that stored glycogen for immediate use. My mom is 60 and eats carbs like a maniac...but she's also a triathlete and trains harder than many 1/2 her age. She also eats about 120 grams + protein per day to help support that recovery.

At nearly 48 (less then a month away) I eat 50-55% of my daily calories in carbs. Almost all the carbs I eat are whole grains (complex) and high in fiber which really helps....but then unlike my days in the gym today I spend a LOT of time either walking, doing pole to pole runs (100 yard jog, 100 yard walk -- usually the distance from one telephone pole to the next) or cycling (13 miles in 1 hour or less) so I need the energy. Not that I didn't when I was going to the gym all the time but back then I upped my protein substantially to increase body mass and recover from heavy lifting faster.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    It is virtually impossible to consume too much protein unless you have an extant kidney issue. I eat roughly 1g/lb of bodyweight per day, which comes out to 200-225g a day. And I only lift 3-5 times/week. It's the most versatile, most satiating, and (IMO) most delicious macronutrient. Dig in ;)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    It's from doctor oz (who isn't a doctor btw)...

o_O

I'm not normally one to defend this shill, who I will fully agree is a complete sellout quack menace. However, the dude IS a doctor. He is, in fact, a highly recognized cardiothoracic surgeon. He just completely rolled over and gave up all of his professional credibility for a daytime tv paycheck and related fame.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    here's the other question - is it ok to not eat tons of protein? I get about 100g usually unless I'm supplementing w/ protein shakes. Do I have to eat 1g/ pound body weight (or lbm) etc? will I fail if I don't? will I not be able to gain muscle if I don't?
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I aim for 70-90 grams of protein and I spread it out in 25ish grams meals and snacks. I have had bariatric surgery and this is the protein range suggested by my dietician and surgeon.... Seems to be working as I have managed to preserve all but half a pound of my lean body mass while losing 80 pounds.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    It's from doctor oz (who isn't a doctor btw)...

o_O

I'm not normally one to defend this shill, who I will fully agree is a complete sellout quack menace. However, the dude IS a doctor. He is, in fact, a highly recognized cardiothoracic surgeon. He just completely rolled over and gave up all of his professional credibility for a daytime tv paycheck and related fame.
    Frig, I was getting the licensing mixed up with Dr. Phil, they're all the same to me :p

Apparently he does, and there's a debate on it here lol
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/713303-should-tv-doctors-have-their-medical-licenses-revoked
  • CoderGal
    Options
    here's the other question - is it ok to not eat tons of protein? I get about 100g usually unless I'm supplementing w/ protein shakes. Do I have to eat 1g/ pound body weight (or lbm) etc? will I fail if I don't? will I not be able to gain muscle if I don't?
    You do not have to eat 1g/lb, no. You will still lose weight, yes. Though statistics and studies suggest that those pounds would come from less fat and more lbm then it would if you had more protein. In general, you're not going to gain any muscle anyway. There's that 'newbie gains' if you are strength training but after that you'll continue to lose it if anything. You cannot continuously grow denser mass without the fuel. So either way you're going to come out with less LBM, not more. That being said the higher amount of protein the more likely the mass you're losing is going to come from fat. And remember, if you're eating about the number to avoid protein related deficiencies, and you're larger or taller then average, then you could run into those problems eventually. You could run into them regardless. I'd rather look at a system and get it running optimally. Not, what is the point at which the system breaks, let's keep it there.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I aim for 70-90 grams of protein and I spread it out in 25ish grams meals and snacks. I have had bariatric surgery and this is the protein range suggested by my dietician and surgeon.... Seems to be working as I have managed to preserve all but half a pound of my lean body mass while losing 80 pounds.
    Absolutely. Special cases, particularly after surgeries, need special things. And depending on your diet I believe diiabetics and other specific diseases do well incorporating small amounts of protein with each meal as well. Others do not. And if you tried to pump in large amounts of this and thats in a stomach that just had surgery, you would likely damage something and suffer for it. Stick to what your surgeon said. Otherwise in the case of a healthy unaltered system, it doesn't apply. I did IF for months and was taking in over 100g in one meal sometimes. Large meals would be a horrible idea for you. And I was doing a lot better then wen I was eating small meals throughout the day (I was always hungry and would get dizzy in the mornings if I didn't have breakfast, that's not a problem anymore).

How are you measuring your lean body mass losses btw?
  • fastfoodv
    fastfoodv Posts: 41
    Options
    Yes, there’s such a thing as too much protein. I recommend around 6 to 7 ounces of protein (red meat, poultry, eggs, cheese, soy, etc) per day. That’s all we need. We get protein from other sources such as grains, dairy products and more as well. Protein can overwork our kidneys. It can contain a lot of calories and fat (depending on the choice) and depending on the type of animal protein chosen contain too much cholesterol. Moderation is key here and in all aspects of our diets.

Visit Lisa Tillinger Johansen, MS, RD at www.consultthedietitian.com and www.fastfoodvindication.com, on Facebook at Lisa Tillinger Johansen and on Twitter @LisaTJohansen.
  • babyface48
    Options
    Hi,

What type of fat burner do you take with your protein? Is it a pill or powder, and is it working for you?
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Last week while searching the interwebs, I came across a new study on protein intake. In short, it found no long term effects or damage from consuming any where up to 3g per lb of LBM in MALE weight lifters 200 lbs and over. They were all eating a typical "body builders cutting" type diet, and drinking plenty of water. It found that an intake of 2.0-3.0g/lb of lbm helped them to preserve the most lbm while in a cut cycle. And still lifting heavy. I didn't bookmark the dang thing.Now I can't find it again ......

Bodybuilders etc

In a review of 41 studies examining the purported adverse affects of high protein diets in athletes, it was noted that protein intakes of 2.8g/kg did not impair kidney function in the short term (Manninen 2004). In an even more comprehensive review of 111 studies, specifically looking at protein intake and kidney function, it was found that athletes who habitually consumed over 2.0g/kg of protein showed no impairments in renal function (Martin et al, 2005). Another review examining safety concerns of protein for athletes, pointed out that no link between high protein intakes and heart disease could be made (only between excessive fat intake and heart disease). In fact, it was found that high protein intakes when fat was controlled actually reduced the risk of ischemic heart attack. It was also concluded that no link between high protein intakes and poor kidney health could be made. In fact, at least one study showed an improvement in kidney function among athletes who consumed high protein diets. This review also pointed to research that showed a protein intake of 150g had the same effect on calcium balance as an intake of 50g, contrary to the belief that high protein intakes cause calcium leaching. Lastly, it was noted that bodybuilders who habitually consumed more protein than athletes, who habitually consumed more protein than non athletes had no increase in calcium excretion. It is worth mentioning that the bodybuilder group consumed 50% more protein than the athletes, and the athletes consumed significantly more than the non athlete group (Bradley-Popovicha et al, 2003). A similar review titled “Protein and amino acids for athletes” had the same conclusions (Tipton et al, 2004), as did a more recent review “A Critical Examination of Dietary Protein Requirements, Benefits, and Excesses in Athletes” (Phillips et al, 2007).

Normal Folk
    In direct studies on non-athlete populations, similar results were found. This implies that neither the physical activity of athletes nor a possible bias held by the review authors is skewing the data. One study showed that there were no detrimental effects on kidney, liver or bone health after one year of consuming protein intakes of 2.2g/kg of lean body mass (Li et al, 2010). Another study showed that a diet consisting of 25% protein with an additional 50g of supplemental protein daily, had no ill effects on health (it also happened to be the best for maintaining a healthy weight after dieting) (Claessens et al, 2009).

Little or no risk.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I ate 300 grams of protein (about 4 grams per kilogram of bodyweight) in one day and started experiencing some pain in my liver.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    You will know when you are taking in too much protein. Every will back away from you when you have a face to face conversation. :bigsmile:

Ketone breath, AKA "*kitten* Breath," is a by product of excess protein.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've taken over 500g of protein per day (when I was 232 and lifting heavy) and now can take as little as 90. However when I ride or walk (which I do about 5 days a week) I crank that up towards 150-160 or more.

For me the tell is whether or not I'm recovering from workouts: extended muscle soreness and/or slow recovery = I need more protein.

When I was down around 15% protein intake I experienced consistently long recovery periods and extended periods of muscle soreness, I changed that to 25% (of daily caloric intake) and the problem was resolved.

For the record I eat very little in the way of simple carbs so while I do eat 50-55% of my daily caloric intake in carbs they are complex carbs and I attribute my ability to maintain good energy levels after a long ride (I rode 15.3 miles this morning on my mountain bike before starting work) to my heavy carb no pun intended) intake.

For me it's simple: carbs = fuel & protein = recovery and muscle building/healing/maintaining while fat = brain function and energy.