This may be vain and petty...but

Options

Replies

• My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'd do the same thing! Show that bish up!
  • DuckieSteph
    DuckieSteph Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh HEEEELL no!! Haha, I would absolutely have the same feelings as you. You use that competitive motivation to your advantage and show her that you CAN be skinny and healthy and have a fulfilling life that is yours. People want to drag other people down whenever they try to better themselves. DO NOT let her do that to you.

You go, girl!!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Not vain...not petty, but seriously motivating!

Show that b*tch how to lose that weight!! Then when you get where you want to be, ask her if she want's or needs any help losing weight. Ha!!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I commend you for not punching her....

and yeah; I'm competitive like that..I'd have to work hard to be toner, fitter and hotter then she could ever dream of being just to shove it in her face....

HOW RUDE!!!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    She said something undiplomatic, not anything worthy of a vendetta. You want to change, and she isn't the authority on what you're capable of. Just keeping moving forward.
  • FrecklesAndLocs
    FrecklesAndLocs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your honesty. And the fact that you were bold enough to share it here. YOU ROCK!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm never going to be skinny either *shrug*

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this scenario, because I am only friends with people who are nice to me. Do what you want, though. I just don't enjoy being "friends" with people with whom I feel the need to compete.
  • brandiemhgc
    Options
    That wasn't very nice of her. Sounds like she needs motivation and support. I wouldn't stoop to her level. Remember what goes around comes around. I hope you both reach your goals.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Is there a full moon tonight?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    This may be vain and petty...but I was recently talking to one of my friends (whose constantly trying to lose 10-15lbs) about how this whole weightloss thing was going for me. I told her that I had changed things up recently and started lifting heavy things because I didn't want to be 'skinny fat,' still fluffy but in a normal weight range.

She gives me a side eye and says, 'why bother its not like you are going to be skinny anyway...'

I guess my face must have shown something (wtf, most likely) because she quickly followed it up by saying, 'well, its not like I'll ever be skinny either.'

And so now my petty motivation is to be 'skinnier' than she is. Its vain and petty and slightly terrible, but there it is. People need to play things in their head before they speak out loud. Seriously.

Personally, I'm competitive enough that if someone said something like that to me, that would be all the motivation I needed to kick it into high gear.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    She clearly didn't think that through, but in alot of cases people go on diets and fail and this is probably what she was thinking. Not good, but use it! Sometimes our initial motivation must be vain or shallow to get us working and then it can change over time. If you can use this to motivate yourself have at it!
  • nrz242
    nrz242 Posts: 76
    Options
    LOL yes! you'll show her it's possible - one of my "petty" motivations is to be skinny (healthy) to show up my boyfriend so he'll start getting in shape. I figure however I can manipulate myself to want to get up off the couch, stop eating junk, and get my butt in gear is good.
  • MichelleLoseW8
    Options
    Sounds like she is defeated already!! And good for you!! I think it's a great tool of motivation!! I would too!! LOL
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    a few years ago my girlfriend (at the time) asked me what would happen if some guy started hitting on her or causing trouble if i would fight him. i was always kind of a skinny little guy, and when i said i would fight him she just started laughing at me, for at least 30 45 seconds before she realized how freakin insulting it was... we broke up last year and ive been posting updated on my facebook about my progress since i started lifting and she deleted and blocked me... victory!

wow. that's some serious *****iness. You're lucky you're not with her anymore.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sounds like good motivation to me. I spent a lot of years just living life and figuring what I looked like didn't matter. It took an ex to dump me and needing to blow off the hurt that I started running and hiking. That completely changed my life, the more I ran, I felt better about myself, how I look and how I feel, I found a new passion for getting outside and taking care of myself, and frankly I enjoyed the fact that I started getting more attention and looked better in cute clothes. Now, years later, I still run for me, for a stress relief, and to feel good about myself. It was the motivation I needed at the time, and now I have different motivation, but its still based on feeling good about myself.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    that is mean to say, especially if she is your friend. i don't relaly think it matters what your motivation is, as long as you reach the goal, BUT having a happy, positive motivation will help you stick to it more so than a negative motivation.

You are absolutely right though on the skinny fat comment, losing weights is the way to go for us women! Keep kicking butt in the gym and ignore the naysayers. Maybe in 6 months she'll be asking you how you got to look so good :)
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    She clearly didn't think that through, but in alot of cases people go on diets and fail and this is probably what she was thinking. Not good, but use it! Sometimes our initial motivation must be vain or shallow to get us working and then it can change over time. If you can use this to motivate yourself have at it!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    And so now my petty motivation is to be 'skinnier' than she is. Its vain and petty and slightly terrible, but there it is. People need to play things in their head before they speak out loud. Seriously.

For extra motivation - let her know that you're competing with her. :drinker:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    competition breeds success