A very interesting and informational read on deficits...

Options

Replies

• jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Excellent article. Commenting so I can refer back to it.
  • neongoldie
    neongoldie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    tagging to read later
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Saving
  • TropicalBiologist
    Options
    COMPLETE AND UTTER GARBAGE. If youw ant accurate information about body weight regulation look into GENUINE SCIENTISTS SUCH AS DR. LINDA BACON AND DR. STEPHAN GUYENET.

THE BODY ITSELF CONTROSL ENERGY BALANCE. THIS NEVER GETS DISCUSSED. ALL OF THESE SITES ARE FRAUD

AND STOP MIUSING THE FIRST LAW, PEOPLE. I HAVE SPOKEN DIRECTLY TO DR. KRAUSS AND DR. SUSSKIND.
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Saving for later. Thanks
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Very interesting article. I was disappointed that the details of how to calculate the feedback loop as time and progress occur...
    He mentions that the methodology for the feedback loop is contained in Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle (BFFM), which is one of the e-books he sells. Basically, Tom is giving a lot of good information in his blog entry without giving away the whole farm, which I can't really fault him for.
    Oh, I don't fault him for it. It's just that he leads into it like he's going to explain, and then doesn't. Left me frustrated and wanting more. If he'd even said something like, "yada-yada-yada feedback loop (details available in Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle)" I'd have walked away feeling more satisfied.

Oh well. Just me. Now to go check Amazon.....
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump to save
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Great read - saving for future reference.
  • marci2lip
    marci2lip Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Saving for later. Gotta learn this stuff.
  • TropicalBiologist
    Options
    Tom Venuto is a slaemen and a scammer. All of these Jillian Michaels types know nohting about obesity and have no business commenting on it. Real scientists laugh at these people or ignore them.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bumping for later.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    bumping to read this evening.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    will save for my bedtime :) thanks
  • JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump - Will read laters. Thanks for posting !
  • Suffer4beauty
    Suffer4beauty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, read most, but need to go to work. Will eat more calories today to not be in starvation mode and to lose less lean body mass (I am lean and struggling with losing the last bits of fat on tummy and thighs - perhaps I have been eating too little and so burning muscle instead of that fat!).
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I was looking at my weightloss when I weighted yesterday, and I'm a bit disconcerted. 6.4# in 13 days works out to a daily deficit of about 1723 calories/day!

I'm -supposed- to have a 710 calorie deficit. (Roughly TDEE - 20%, rounded off to an even 3,000 calories)
    I'm -supposed- to go no more than 500 below that. (Both per my nutritionist.)

But this is over 500 calories below my MINIMUM! Eeek! (And over 45% below TDEE!)

I know I haven't been eating enough, but I'm afraid I'm losing muscle mass with this.....

EDIT

Oh, and I couldn't find Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle (BFFM) anywhere. Found several references to an e-book released several years ago, but nobody had it available. What I did find was pre-orders on Amazon for a new, hard-cover(!) edition coming out in December. (Oh, and a new Kindle edition will be available then as well.) From what I read, it'll have 25% new information.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I was looking at my weightloss when I weighted yesterday, and I'm a bit disconcerted. 6.4# in 13 days works out to a daily deficit of about 1723 calories/day!

I'm -supposed- to have a 710 calorie deficit. (Roughly TDEE - 20%, rounded off to an even 3,000 calories)
    I'm -supposed- to go no more than 500 below that. (Both per my nutritionist.)

But this is over 500 calories below my MINIMUM! Eeek! (And over 45% below TDEE!)

I know I haven't been eating enough, but I'm afraid I'm losing muscle mass with this.....

EDIT

Oh, and I couldn't find Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle (BFFM) anywhere. Found several references to an e-book released several years ago, but nobody had it available. What I did find was pre-orders on Amazon for a new, hard-cover(!) edition coming out in December. (Oh, and a new Kindle edition will be available then as well.) From what I read, it'll have 25% new information.

If that loss amount was after just starting a diet, there will be water weight loss.

Same water weight you'll likely gain most of it back when you stop dieting and eat at maintenance again. But just needed water weight, so won't change shape much if at all.

Probably did 3-4 lbs in those 2 wks, which perhaps not bad at all.

Get some good full body strength training in, and hit your protein macro and it'll help retain muscle, of course reasonable deficit helps with that too.

You may also have inflated BMR and TDEE, so you already have some protection in there.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Excellent read - thanks for posting the entire thing.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Thank you.