100 Colonoscopies

Options

Replies

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am not going to voluntarily be put under. But, if my doctor recommends it... Meh
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    This is great thing to get out there. I don't count in the numbers b/c my doctor said I need to wait until 30 or 35 to worry about if for me (I'm 23 now). But both my parents are up to date on theirs. We are all at a slightly higher risk on my mom's side b/c her mom had Colon Cancer. They removed part of her small intestines and she is 20 something years past cancer. But a colonoscopy caught the cancer and saved her life!
  • paisano2000
    paisano2000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I just had my 13th colonoscopy this past Wednesday here in Ohio. At this rate I will contribute 20-30 of the 100 colonoscopies all by myself. To any who are worried, it went fairly well, 8 polyps were removed this time. (I have had as many as 45 removed in a single procedure.) Since my family has a history of colon cancer problems, it is an annual necessity for me. To any who are unsure, the idea is preventive maintenance. It's like an annual tuneup on your car to make it run better. As always, drinking the drink of Doom (colyte) the night before is the hard part, so be prepared to sleep in the bathroom. Anyway after it is done, you can have the fun of telling your sister (or anyone else) that you can honestly say that you are the only person they know that is not full of ****.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I am not going to voluntarily be put under. But, if my doctor recommends it... Meh

You don't need to be put under- see earlier posts. I've had 2 without anaesthetic and will do it again. My mother is in her 80s and she doesn't get anaesthetic either.
  • YamRector
    YamRector Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well, Ok! You convinced me people! I am going to do it:-) :-) :-)
  • bluestonechic
    bluestonechic Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Had my first EGD/Colonoscopy in April and found a mass; had to have a second procedure (sigmoidscopy) determined to be a lipoma (fat mass). Will continue to monitor, but cleared for next colonoscopy in 10 yrs.
    I thought the prep was going to be awful, but it wasn't too bad. If I may suggest...if you can tolerate I did an extra day of clear liquids before I drank the prep solution. I did not have tne abdominal cramps, pressure, and pain like I suspected. Just load up on broth, ginger ale, jello (nothing red in color---as it is contraindicated for the exam).
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I will be getting one this year as colon cancer runs in my family. :cry:
  • chattertess
    chattertess Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Having my second one in a few weeks time because of my crohns disease. Where I live you have to really argue with a doctor to get one!!
  • paisano2000
    Options
    It is where you live or is it what coverage you have?
  • paisano2000
    Options
    It runs in my family too, hang in there. I'll say an extra prayer for you.
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Doing the clean out as we speak.....Tomorrow morning I get it done for the first time.I hit the magical 50 this year and Doc said it is time. Not bad so far used magnesium citrate last night and it didn't hit until this morning. Then tonight use a "Super Prep" kit That could be the real fun! But only clear liquids today so probably won't be much left..... I am pretty hungry though!

Mark
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have my first in August, a couple of years after I was told too. No issues, but it's time. I found a doctor that will let me you over the counter pills and Maalox so I can keep it down...what my hubby had fjor prep was awful and I know I would have gagged.l. Now I'm bugging my coworker. : )
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My sister was 49 and had not yet had her first colonoscopy. She was diagnosed with stage 3 colo-rectal cancer. She went through radiation, chemo, surgery, more chemo, finally more surgery. Let's just say that the year 2012 really sucked for her. The good news is that she looks and feels fantastic now! The tumor had been growing for 10-15 years. Ya never know.

When I had my first one 2 years ago, they found some polyps. I'll have another one next year due to the polyps and my sister's diagnosis.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Had my first a few months ago--prep wasn't too bad--used a new prep that the Dr. said he liked the best. My mother's sister is fighting stage 4 colon cancer and polyps run in my family so it was something I really needed to do.

Had 5 polyps but nothing scary showed up. Don't let horror stories keep you from doing this--it really wasn't that bad.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    This is such a nice idea!! You're so thoughtful :)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Do women need them too?
    At what age should we start?
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Not sure what number you're up to, but I will be getting my first one done later this year!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Do women need them too?

YES!!!
    The usual age, without family or personal history of problems, is 50.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Do women need them too?

YES!!!
    The usual age, without family or personal history of problems, is 50.

Thanks a lot! I'm 34. I'll keep that in mind.
    OP, thanks for the thread.
  • makenoexcuses
    makenoexcuses Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm too young to have one in my opinion, being only 18... but I am making sure my grandparents and parents have theirs. It's tragic seeing all these stories of people who could have prevented their grim fate with just one test.