Obese people telling me what's unhealthy...

Options

Replies

• xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Well, its nice of her to offer you advice, even if it is unwanted. Congratulations on your own weight loss, but her size shouldn't make a difference.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, poutine. Now that's all i can think about!!! Hmmm, I think there's a Smoke's Poutinerie nearby!! :)

You rang?
    smokes_zps7bc9f0a2.png

I hate gravy, but I am tempted because Smoke's has double bacon poutine.
    baconpoutine_zps728993cd.jpg
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    just weird coming from someone who was eating chips when she said it lol

She was eating chips at the time? Man... that's some opening...
  • xinit0
    Options
    did I every tell you I love your wit and kind sarcasm xi? yep ...tell it like it is.....!

Thank you! I'm here all week. Remember to tip your waitresses, and make sure to try the veal!

:D
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm a chef and some fat dude once told me you shouldn't trust a skinny chef...
  • xinit0
    Options
    Are "cheese curds" the same as cottage cheese?

Who knew MFP could be so educational??

Cheese curds are basically cheese that isn't pressed into a block. Poutine curds are supposed to "squeek" a bit when you bite into them. It's really hard to describe. They're something like mozarella, but... squeeky.
  • jillwhite12
    jillwhite12 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Squeaky cheese is the best...
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i just had this happen. i was having a convo about having a whole wheat english muffin with honey-nut cream cheese for bfast and how delicious it was. some lady nearby who must have been as wide as she was tall, told me how unhealthy cream cheese is! seriously? some people just love to hear themselves speak.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Well, its nice of her to offer you advice, even if it is unwanted. Congratulations on your own weight loss, but her size shouldn't make a difference.

Actually, on this topic it should. I'm not going to take advice on how to lose weight from my 350lb friend who hasn't stuck with a diet in 10 years, but I will take advice from my 300 lb friend who just dropped 50lbs even if he still has 100 more to go. If a random stranger comes up to give diet advice without knowing me or my history I'll make a snap judgment based on their weight too.

If they open the unsolicited advice door, they get the snap judgment based on appearance thrown right back at them.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I agree, it is annoying!
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This happens to me ALL the time. If they're actively losing weight then it doesn't bother me, but when it's coming from someone who doesn't eat right or exercise, I don't need their advice.
  • LoreleiEvil
    LoreleiEvil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    just weird coming from someone who was eating chips when she said it lol

She was eating chips at the time? Man... that's some opening...

Talk about a hanging fastball right down the middle of the plate, I'd be taking a Jason Heyward type swing at that opening. I admire your tact and restraint, OP.

I can identify. My Dad does this all the time. I just ignore the mean old coot!
  • DustyBanana
    DustyBanana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    OMG...yes all the time
    You need to say...I love *insert workout of your choice* I go X amt of times a week. Let's go together sometime *evil grin*
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Poutine is some of the best damn stuff on earth! :drinker:

Personally, I would have been so annoyed at her comments that it would've inspired me to play devil's advocate for the next 6 months....I'd slip in some random...ahem....untrue comments about all the (non-existent) fattening foods I've indulged in over the weekend, all the while continuing to eat healthy and exercise. At some point, if she has a brain, she'll start thinking "Wow...she's in really great shape for eating all that crap! How does she do it? What's her secret?" :laugh:

Sure, there's the chance that she may just think that you're bulimic but in my experience, people like that are rarely that imaginative or analytic.

And yes, it would be loads easier just to ignore her....but where's the fun in that?
  • xinit0
    Options

You know what? You really need to be careful posting on internet forums, because sometimes people will see what you post and call you names if you say silly things!

Man, I'm nice to offer advice.
  • Kestrel45
    Kestrel45 Posts: 133
    Options
    oh my goodness now I really want a poutine... god damn it.
  • NicolleLindgren
    NicolleLindgren Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Chill out bro, people give unasked for advice all the time. Smile, nod, and move on.

Yup.

^^ Same. Meh, I probably wouldn't have been offended.. she's warning you not to eat fat on fat on fat (delicious, yes. healthy, hell no). Would you really be less offended if she was someone who weighed less? I personally would be more offended. Maybe she's just concerned that you'll fall back into poor eating habits and she knows that she hates being overweight and acknowledges how far you've come. Unsolicited, yes. Offensive- why?
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    That is a new word for me, poutine. Never heard of it. Had to google it.

320px-OriginalPoutineLaBanquise.jpg

Looks like Chilly cheese fries with a little bit of mayo. O.o I never heard of this dish either!

I WANT IT! *coughs*

Op eat what you want. As long as you can handle it. That's what I do.

I don't know. I try not to judge people who are over weight/obese. You haven't a clue what's going on with them to make them heavy. Usually, it's not food but medication that can wreck your body to kingdom come.
  • logicofsound
    Options
    Unasked for advice is annoying, but saying 'she can't give good food advice because she's obese' is falling prey to a logical fallacy- namely both 'tu quoque.' And, to a lesser degree 'poisoning the well' (I say the latter to a lesser degree because you don't disagree with the assertion, merely the appropriateness of being told the assertion).
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    This drives me insane too.

On a similar note, I am training for a marathon and my very sedentary friend who has not run in over 20 years is constantly trying to give me advice. He says he wants to run, but he stubbed his toe a month ago and it still hurts...that's the only thing holding him back. What held you back the other 19.9 years?

I've been pushing since November of last year. I started at 320 (aka Three Mile Island, hey people call the one hundred pound territory Onederland, so that's my coined term for being over three hundred). Now at 240-ish, people who have never possibly seen the inside of a gym are giving me unsolicited diet and fitness advice. I get often, I'm doing too much (cardio, weights ,Pilates), lifting too much, doing it wrong, doing the wrong thing, eating wrong, eating the wrong thing, not eating enough, too much eating and they want to see my form for X exercise. Often enough they can't even do the exercise I am doing, but somehow they are a fitness expert, dietician /Nutritionist and they don't work out or watch their intake.

And one told me they were gonna go on Master Cleanse, as they ate a slice of greasy cheese pizza, while I ate my baked chicken breast. And that I would lose more, if I did it like them.

I don't get that.

Oh they gained more, Post Cleanse and they dont talk to me.

Win.