How long did it take you to lose your first 10 lbs?

Options

Replies

• WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP on May 22nd weighing in at 231 lbs, I lost 9 lbs by June 10th. My next weigh in isn't until the end of June but I'm pretty sure I've hit the 10 lbs mark so overall it's taken me about a month :)
  • scling83
    scling83 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 10lbs in 2-3lb spurts over 17 days. I am on an MFP recommended 1350 cals per day and doing low impact exercise a couple times per week (not always very good at sticking to that though) but happy with my loss so far! :smile:
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have about 30lbs to lose. I lost the first 10 after 5 weeks of counting calories and working out. It's now been another 5 weeks and I've only lost 3 more lbs.... frustrating! but it all depends on the person. Good luck!
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started at 210lbs....it took about three months for that first 10 to finally go away. My first 45 took a year....I'm in year 2 and still working toward my goal of 100lbs lost....about 14 to go.
  • trishklein
    trishklein Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just hit my first 10lbs last week, so it took me about 3 1/2 months. I could have lost it quicker but we went on vacation and out of town a few times, which meant eating out. I also wasn't being very disciplined in my diet, but when I watched everything and logged all my food/drink into MFP and stayed within my 1200/cal day the weight fell off rather quickly.

I remember years ago trying to lose weight and was working out 3-4 times per week and it took me 5 months to lose less than 10lbs, so I credit MFP with helping me to see exactly what I am consuming. I never had a real clue before just how many calories I was actually eating in a day.

Blessings to you on your journey!
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    From mid Feb till yesterday, so.... about 4 months. Not as fast as I would have liked, but I'll take it.
  • wirodi
    wirodi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Two weeks.

Mostly, it was because I stopped drinking soda, and took a walk every day for those two weeks.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Feeling a little jealous of all this wonderful news. It's been over 60 days and I have only lost 7 lbs. No change on the scale in the last several weeks. I am in 7lb purgatory ....

50 lbs puts me in the center of my ideal weight for height.. so it's not like I am too thin to see progress... uugh
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    about 14 days. Little less I think. But I started at 254 and am only 5'7" so I had (still have) a LOT to lose.
  • bdukes10
    bdukes10 Posts: 5
    Options
    It took me exactly one month to lose 10 lbs. I started out at 157 and have been on my program for 1-month. My husband lost 20 lbs. the first month....however, men lose faster than women do. I am very happy with my results and I'm not hungry at all and no longer crave the foods I used to eat.... #happygirl :)
  • jjenks3
    jjenks3 Posts: 45
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs my first week, but it was all water weight :(

On a serious note, I have been losing ~2lbs a week as per my goals.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    FOREVER! Just kidding. But it felt that way. 6 months. But in all fairness, I'm at a pretty healthy weight now. Looking to drop about 10 more.
  • freemind990
    Options
    a month maybe 3 weeks
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    A week BUT I was 277 and my ankles were so swollen with water, you couldn't see them. What I lost was water weight I'm sure.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I started at 251 and lost my first 10 pounds in 4 days.. insulin resistant so I had to cut out carbs. I know its mostly water weight but it took change and work to get it off so to me every 'pound counts'
  • mlopez9561
    mlopez9561 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    4 months for the first 10 lbs. Then fell of the wagon and gain back 7 lbs in 6 months. I'm back on track now and I start losing again. I have an apple body shape with an emotional eating disorder and a sweet tooth. I love to read the success stories, helps me a lot with my personal issues.

I wish you (and everyone) the best during your personal journey. :flowerforyou:
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Curious to hear of everyone's successes and rate at which you lost your initial 10lbs (or more!) as I feel like my weight loss is fairly slow... I average about 2400 burned calories a day, with no exercise included - just a normal day at work. I've been eating approximately 1600-1700 calories a day (hoping for 1.5ish loss a week) and haven't really seen great changes. My exercise is weight training 2-3 days a week and 3-4 days of the week walking/jogging intervals for a minimum of 2 miles.

For those who had a slower/stubborn start, did you change anything more to your initial changes to kick it into higher gear? Or did you stay with your new changes long enough to see the weight start dropping?

If you changed your diet AND started strength training at the same time, your progress (judged SOLELY by body weight) is going to be slow for maybe the first month. Your body responds to new strength training by storing water and fuel in your muscles. If you want to SEE the progress you're really making... start taking measurements of your body. (and pictures) You'll see that you're actually shrinking in some areas even though the scale is being stubborn.

I changed my diet ONLY and dropped 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks. Then I added strength training and didn't lose any weight for the next 3 weeks or so. but my measurements were still coming down, and my pants were getting looser.

TL;DR: Don't look to the scale for progress when you've just started strength training.
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Really strange but I lost 9 lbs in my first week. For me, the first 10 lbs is very easy. After the first 10 the path becomes very difficult.
  • lswain1970
    lswain1970 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 2.5 months to lose my first 15. Slower than when I dieted in the past, but I am not dieting per say now...I am changing my eating and exercise habits and including a moderate calorie deficit so while this is slower than in the past I am confident it is fat I am losing and I am so proud of myself and feel so good physically I am more than willing to be patient with the scale.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!