Try exercising with a gun in your bra

Options

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Wow...that's a bit much. I live in one of the most dangerous cities in the US and don't carry weapons. But then again, I've lived here my whole life, so I'm not paranoid like someone may be coming from a small town.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    9mm S&W Shield might have been a better choice, but a 22lr in the knee cap will ruin a bad guy's day.

What some folks don't understand is, there are some running trails where homeless drug addicts live, and rapes DO happen. Even in NH. Happened a couple years ago in Nashua. Female runner in Mines Falls, early morning, gang raped. I applaud your husband for wanting you to stay safe.

That being said, a fannypack holster might be better......

I used to say the same thing about a well aimed .22. However my husband drilled into me that if I am ever in a situation where I need to use a weapon like that, I better not aim ANYWHERE but center mass. Even the best shots will be nervous as can be, and handguns are not the most accurate in the hands of a nervous person. Training goes a long way, but if you are threatened enough to pull the weapon you better be ready to shoot center mass.

There was one time I almost had to act. I was sitting at home, into a house we had just moved into. It had previously been where doctor practiced. (It was a house, and looked like a house.) It was time for my husband to come home so I had unlocked the door. I was sitting at the computer when I heard the door. I didn't pay much attention as I thought it was hubby. Then I looked up and seen a very large hairy arm around the corner that I knew wasn't my husband. Our .45 was sitting beside me. After a second or two of shock and my heart racing nearly out of my chest, I put my hand up on weapon to pick it up. I thought oh man, I am actually gonna have to use thing on something other than targets. ...........Then the guy came into better view. It was a substitute mailman who had no idea that he had just barged into a personal residence. He was mortified when he realized he just walked straight into someone's home without knocking or announcing himself. Then he seen what my hand was on. I doubt he would make the same error again. I was/am so thankful it was just a simple mistake.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    From your profile pic I see your black dog in the background. I dont think your best interests is his number ONE priority. I bet he answers to Deuce.....

LMAO
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    I am from a very small community and crime was never an issue or a real concern of mine. A few years ago we moved to a heavily populated area on the west coast. Since we have been here, my spouse has become shall I say paranoid, maybe? I literally cannot go out jogging without our old faithful dog who is 8 and although he has bursts of puppy enthusiasm, he would much rather slow down to smell the roses. I have been armed with a taser for my purse, a knife for my coat pocket and just yesterday he presented me with a .22 long barrel revolver (it's a mini) with a bra holster, so I can be safe. I have a concealed weapons permit so packing is not the issue that I have. If, in fact, I were in danger I would probably shoot off a booby whilst stabbing my side and tasing my *kitten*. Does anyone else have a paranoid spouse?

I just had to say this...man am I glad I don't live in the US! Madness :happy:
    The mind boggles... Really hope you don't taze/blow off some bit of your anatomy tho, but then it keeps the trauma surgeons in business :wink:

I am just as happy you dont live in the US.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    That paranoid attitude is getting out of hand. I'm ashamed to live in a country where people think it's ok to carry guns (oh but it's the Americains rights!!!!).

So by your logic it's reasonable to conclude that carrying a spare tire in your car makes one paranoid?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I go out with my bulldog, he's all the protection I need. People walk on the other side of the road.....

French Mastiff works well too ;)

You get yours to walk? Mine will sit down and refuse to move after 2 or 3 houses. Then I have to bribe him back home with food.

I had a paranoid runner pull a gun on me once while I was out on a run with my dog and he got lose so I was trying to catch him. That being said, paranoid people with guns terrify me.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love all of the posts that are along the lines of "I'm glad I don't live in the US because then I'd have to carry a gun."

If you're a woman carrying a firearm in the US, you're probably more concerned about getting raped by an unarmed assailant than having a shootout.

Now, I had been living in Europe for 2.5 years until moving back to the States earlier this month, so I'm curious, did the men I saw there not have penises? Serious question.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    I love all of the posts that are along the lines of "I'm glad I don't live in the US because then I'd have to carry a gun."

If you're a woman carrying a firearm in the US, you're probably more concerned about getting raped by an unarmed assailant than having a shootout.

Now, I had been living in Europe for 2.5 years until moving back to the States earlier this month, so I'm curious, did the men I saw there not have penises? Serious question.

Ive heard they do, but only much smaller then found in the US.....
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    9mm S&W Shield might have been a better choice, but a 22lr in the knee cap will ruin a bad guy's day.

What some folks don't understand is, there are some running trails where homeless drug addicts live, and rapes DO happen. Even in NH. Happened a couple years ago in Nashua. Female runner in Mines Falls, early morning, gang raped. I applaud your husband for wanting you to stay safe.

I live in Maryland, close to a Metro station. A young female was gang raped at 4am one morning, as she was walking home from work.

I am 1) jealous that I can't keep a gun in my bra and 2) bitter because we live in Maryland and refer to #1.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options

I live in Maryland, close to a Metro station. A young female was gang raped at 4am one morning, as she was walking home from work.

I am 1) jealous that I can't keep a gun in my bra and 2) bitter because we live in Maryland and refer to #1.

I feel for you. What our European friends and envious Canadians dont understand, is that the US was founded on the principle of self reliance. We take care of our own business.

When seconds count, a policeman is only 10 minutes away.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    lol. I know this is not the point of the post...but a .22 for CCW is virtually useless.

ETA: To return a little closer to the point of this post, consider something like this if you're going to continue carrying:
    http://www.undertechundercover.com/index.php/featured-category/undertech-travel-safe-women-s-shorts.html#

Does it come with all the money and credit cards? If so, I want.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Wow...that's a bit much. I live in one of the most dangerous cities in the US and don't carry weapons. But then again, I've lived here my whole life, so I'm not paranoid like someone may be coming from a small town.

Agreed. I work in Wilmington, DE (Neighborhood Scout named it 17th most dangerous in the US, parenting.com/parenting magazine ranked it MOST dangerous city in the US). I don't think it is that dangerous, but per capita it is bad. Every day there is someone getting shot, stabbed, or robbed, etc. I walk all the time in Wilmington. I'm not a runner. But I also went to college here for a couple years. Walked all over. Never been scared for my safety. I keep my phone on me, just in case someone starts doing something stupid near me, then I'd call the cops and hide somewhere. I'm not interested in being a hero at all. I don't walk down alleys or creepy side streets either. There was this one time a *gasp* homeless-looking man almost touched my shoulder and asked for money or a bus pass or something and I kindly said "I am sorry, I do not", and kept it moving. LOL no offense though. Some folks have seen some crazy crap. I haven't experienced a crazy gun-point robbery or a rape or anything. I've seen plenty of folks with weapons they shouldn't have, drugs they shouldn't have, bullet wounds they got as an innocent bystander, and I've witnessed a couple shoot-outs, was almost raped but screamed, like I was taught, and he backed off quick. My choice is not to add to the gun shops & medical sectors profits and the empty shell-casings on the ground around here. There are better ways to solve the madness in my opinion. Not everyone shares that opinion though, and that is OK.

I guess it is really about people perspectives, experiences, and biases. I completely understand though if the OP's hubby is ex-military or police. Completely understand then. They see things that no one should see or experience.

Don't put yourself in a scary position and nothing scary will happen. It seems easy to me. If you don't like your neighborhood, drive a little ways to a park or a nicer neighborhood. I'm sure the West Coast has parks... Just a suggestions as opposed to packing a gun, taser, and a knife. You can't use all that in an instant if someone pops out on you... And if you did, they would be stunned on the ground, then..... stabbed by you, and then...shot? I don't get it. One weapon seems to be enough IMO.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    lol. I know this is not the point of the post...but a .22 for CCW is virtually useless.

ETA: To return a little closer to the point of this post, consider something like this if you're going to continue carrying:
    http://www.undertechundercover.com/index.php/featured-category/undertech-travel-safe-women-s-shorts.html#

Does it come with all the money and credit cards? If so, I want.

Right?! Worst advertisement picture ever. Because when I am walking or running, I bring $600 in cash, my AMEX, another card (just in case) and a passport, for identification! -_-
  • davideickelmann
    Options

Agreed. I work in Wilmington, DE (Neighborhood Scout named it 17th most dangerous in the US, parenting.com/parenting magazine ranked it MOST dangerous city in the US). I don't think it is that dangerous, but per capita it is bad. Every day there is someone getting shot, stabbed, or robbed, etc. I walk all the time in Wilmington. I'm not a runner. But I also went to college here for a couple years. Walked all over. Never been scared for my safety. I keep my phone on me, just in case someone starts doing something stupid near me, then I'd call the cops and hide somewhere. I'm not interested in being a hero at all. I don't walk down alleys or creepy side streets either. There was this one time a *gasp* homeless-looking man almost touched my shoulder and asked for money or a bus pass or something and I kindly said "I am sorry, I do not", and kept it moving. LOL no offense though. Some folks have seen some crazy crap. I haven't experienced a crazy gun-point robbery or a rape or anything. I've seen plenty of folks with weapons they shouldn't have, drugs they shouldn't have, bullet wounds they got as an innocent bystander, and I've witnessed a couple shoot-outs, was almost raped but screamed, like I was taught, and he backed off quick. My choice is not to add to the gun shops & medical sectors profits and the empty shell-casings on the ground around here. There are better ways to solve the madness in my opinion. Not everyone shares that opinion though, and that is OK.

I guess it is really about people perspectives, experiences, and biases. I completely understand though if the OP's hubby is ex-military or police. Completely understand then. They see things that no one should see or experience.

Don't put yourself in a scary position and nothing scary will happen. It seems easy to me. If you don't like your neighborhood, drive a little ways to a park or a nicer neighborhood. I'm sure the West Coast has parks... Just a suggestions as opposed to packing a gun, taser, and a knife. You can't use all that in an instant if someone pops out on you... And if you did, they would be stunned on the ground, then..... stabbed by you, and then...shot? I don't get it. One weapon seems to be enough IMO.

I wouldn't carry a knife or a tazer for any reason either, it seems pretty bulky.

You're lucky the guy backed off. If he'd been more committed, he probably would've just knocked you out to shut you up. Stay safe.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have a paranoid spouse?

Wow. Well, luckily, since you're in a more densely populated place, there are people you can talk to about your opinion of his desire to help you be provided the tools to protect yourself.

This is probably my favorite answer. It's all subjective and without interviewing the locals you won't get a good idea whether any of that is necessary or helpful. To me, I'm from the west coast and still living here and it sounds like overkill to me, but I don't know your neighborhood? I looked at your profile and thought, nah he's not paranoid he's just a cowboy but I hesitated telling you that's too much because what if you live in an area that's pretty rough? The other post that shined a very good light was the one about maybe you should't be carrying if YOU are not comfortable with it.

To me people shouldn't even be armed with assertive phrases who aren't comfortable with using them because they tend to jump the gun and use them too soon and make arguments and relationships worse as a result. Other times they scream a phrase too late in the game in a panicky mode which makes the phrase ineffective and makes them come off as hyper and weird. Also sometimes when they manage to appear to use it appropriately there is a retort to that phrase and then they are stumped as to what to do next because they were only instructed about the phrase.

I'd hate to see any of this happen in a disputive situation where someone has a gun rather than just phrases.

ETA: Paragraphs but too late, I was already quoted in the very next post with my non paragraph run ons.:laugh:
  • davideickelmann
    Options
    Does anyone else have a paranoid spouse?

Wow. Well, luckily, since you're in a more densely populated place, there are people you can talk to about your opinion of his desire to help you be provided the tools to protect yourself.

This is probably my favorite answer. It's all subjective and without interviewing the locals you won't get a good idea whether any of that is necessary or helpful. To me, I'm from the west coast and still living here and it sounds like overkill to me, but I don't know your neighborhood? I looked at your profile and thought, nah he's not paranoid he's just a cowboy but I hesitated telling you that's too much because what if you live in an area that's pretty rough? The other post that shined a very good light was the one about maybe you should't be carrying if YOU are not comfortable with it. To me people shouldn't even be armed with assertive phrases who aren't comfortable with using them because they tend to jump the gun and use them too soon and make arguments and relationships worse as a result. Other times they scream a phrase too late in the game in a panicky mode which makes the phrase ineffective and makes them come off as hyper and weird. Also sometimes when they manage to appear to use it appropriately there is a retort to that phrase and then they are stumped as to what to do next because they were only instructed about the phrase. I'd hate to see any of this happen in a disputive situation where someone has a gun rather than just phrases.

Persons unprepared to use a gun lethally should never have a gun. More likely than not, their weapon will just end up getting used on them.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Wayne Lapierre's wife has a paranoid spouse.

Considering insurance, bullets, pain of carrying a gun, etc I would suggest buying a treadmill or gym membership. Just don't move to small town Appalachia. We have crazy pillbillies.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada.

Same. People here are always getting jumped and killed when they're out running!

Oh... wait... no, they aren't...
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm the gun slinger in my house. My bf doesn't have any experience with guns. I also have a blackjack in my car and a buck knife in my purse....too much ID channel. I've had some weird experiences happen though....I also have two dogs in my house, a rifle, and a pistol. But I don't think it's paranoid. Each person needs to feel safe in their own way, so to those of you saying you live in such a dangerous area but you don't carry weapons, who cares? Some of us have an interest in that sort of thing.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    There's no outbreak of law-abiding concealed carry citizens shooting people. It doesn't happen.

... but there's been an outbreak of people attacking people out for a jog?