Thigh Gap ?

Options

Replies

• scrttwtt
    scrttwtt Posts: 30
    Options
    It's absolutely bizarre how many people have a problem with this. Since when does everyone get to judge what people are aiming for? How many of you are working really hard for a flat stomach, or big arm muscles? Not everyone has the same subjective opinion of what looks fit or beautiful! I know personally that as I lose weight, my thighs will get slimmer, so it's a really good measure of my progress if a gap appears between my thighs.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy. As far as I know, I've been a guy all my life. And in those years, I never once thought, "If only that girl had more (or less) of a gap between her thighs." Frankly, I'm much more concerned about what separates her ears, than her thighs.

You mileage may vary. Written on a closed course by a professional cynic. Do not attempt.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the bone structure, it's not going to happen at a healthy weight.

I'm sure if I can lose my thunder thighs I'd have one because I have wide hips. I also have the coveted back dimples. And it's not because I'm skinny, trust me. I was just born with them.

Learn to love your body.
  • Bic2178
    Bic2178 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For me personally a thigh gap is about comfort and not at all about looks. I can't wear certain shorts because they ride up because my thighs touch together when i walk, It is uncomfortable when i jog or walk, I don't wear dresses because of this problem.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely bizarre how many people have a problem with this. Since when does everyone get to judge what people are aiming for? How many of you are working really hard for a flat stomach, or big arm muscles? Not everyone has the same subjective opinion of what looks fit or beautiful! I know personally that as I lose weight, my thighs will get slimmer, so it's a really good measure of my progress if a gap appears between my thighs.
    they have little to do with fitness and almost everything to do with genetics. What's wrong with bringing out the best in features you already have instead of pining after something you simply weren't born with.
  • RedfishGuy
    RedfishGuy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My summary advice for a pronounced thigh gap is to pick different parents next time.

Not meaning to be snarky (I love that word!), but I'd pick rich parents if I could do it all over again.

edit: Oh, and a bigger hanglow would be nice.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Google "Q angle" and shout at your parents. :D

I've noticed since doing squats that my thighs rub even more. I love it. Er, not in that way. I just mean it's a positive outcome to strength training - my muscles are growing.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Besides excess fat on the inner thighs, one of the things that causes the inner thighs to rub when walking is poor strength in the lower body, like the hip rotators, hip adductors, quadriceps and hamstrings.

So if you have knock knees or kind of knock knees doing lower body strengthening exercises may actually help quite a bit, "despite" their potential leg "bulking" effects because it can help you to stand to your legs aren't sinking in towards each other.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    just like anything desired, there's a surgery for that, but it costs about $4000...
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Back dimples are coveted? Wow...all this time, I never knew!! Well, at least I have something going for me!! Woohoo! :drinker:

(not being snarky, I really never knew people would want them)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    There is no telling what your thighs will do. I got a very slight gap with weight loss, not enough for the thigh gap people, but enough that tights and pants don't wear out at the inseam, which was really what I wanted anyway.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough I can definitely say that it is down to both genetics AND weight. I was slim when I was younger and yet never had a thigh gap BUT when I had a child my hips spread just enough to have one. It isn't about wide hips though as my hips are 33.5 but I have a definite thigh gap and did even when I was a stone heavier. It just seems to be wherever your legs are attached, lol.

I admit that I like it, as does my husband, but it certainly is not the end of the world if you don't and few of these models with it make me feel ill as they have NO muscle tone and it looks like what they call "lucky" legs aka lucky they don't break! :-S

I agree with this. I can never develop that "thigh gap." I didn't even have it when I was under 110. But I don't experience any chaffing so I'm guessing it just has to do with how much they touch when stand normally around hip width apart or so.

But for the reference, a lot of people are (right or wrong) attracted to that gap. It's just unfair because it just isn't completely related to how thin you are.
  • lauraboo132
    Options
    I didn't realise this app had to changed it's name to my fitness bitc* jees guys I asked for help not to be torn apart !! I think you most of you rethink what you want out of this app is it too make you feel better ripping people if so at least have the balls to have troll in your name !! Seriously If I ever wrote on any of your posts giving you advice or help well you can now put it where the sun doesn't shine

TTFN

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • RedfishGuy
    RedfishGuy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Take the responses with a grain of salt, its Friday, and people are having good-natured fun with this topic.

You're fine, just the way you are. Get in the best shape of your life, and don't worry about stuff that's likely out of your control.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I agree that this depends largely on genetics. I do not have protruding bones, and the BMI chart still considers me borderline overweight, but I have a thigh gap. It wasn't something I aspired to have or worked for, but it just naturally happened when I lost the weight.

Just focus on being healthy, being good to your body, and being happy with who you are.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I have a thigh gap and I hate these threads so much (somehow I always end up in them though :laugh: ). Partly I hate them because thigh gaps are unattainable for many women and I think it can be really harmful for women to judge their bodies based on unattainable standards. I, for example, hate that my rib cage is so large, but that's not something I can realistically change. If someone comes along and tells me I can change the size of my ribcage with diet and exercise, not only are they lying (or misinformed) but now I've set myself up for major disappointment when I cannot, in fact, shrink my actual skeleton. Anyone can get biceps or abs with enough dedication and hard work. Not anyone can get a thigh gap.

I also hate these threads because inevitably someone will come along who is trying to combat the idea that women should have thigh gaps, and they'll say that thigh gaps are gross, women should have curves, etc. etc. as if having curves and having a thigh gap are mutually exclusive, which they are not.

Thigh gaps are mostly genetic. If you have one, great. If you don't, great. Just make your body the best and healthiest it can be and try not to sweat the things you can't change.
  • scrttwtt
    scrttwtt Posts: 30
    Options
    Maybe she was born with that feature, what do you know about her? I personally don't have a thigh gap when I'm a size 12 (UK size), but do when I am a size 10, when my legs look more muscular and slimmer, so it seems like a reasonable, healthy goal.
  • lauraboo132
    Options
    well do you know what I'm going to show you that if I do have one I'll get it you've all motivated me to prove you wrong to see if I can get one Thanks Guys :D
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

I have a thigh gap and I hate these threads so much (somehow I always end up in them though :laugh: ). Partly I hate them because thigh gaps are unattainable for many women and I think it can be really harmful for women to judge their bodies based on unattainable standards. I, for example, hate that my rib cage is so large, but that's not something I can realistically change. If someone comes along and tells me I can change the size of my ribcage with diet and exercise, not only are they lying (or misinformed) but now I've set myself up for major disappointment when I cannot, in fact, shrink my actual skeleton. Anyone can get biceps or abs with enough dedication and hard work. Not anyone can get a thigh gap.

I also hate these threads because inevitably someone will come along who is trying to combat the idea that women should have thigh gaps, and they'll say that thigh gaps are gross, women should have curves, etc. etc. as if having curves and having a thigh gap are mutually exclusive, which they are not.

Thigh gaps are mostly genetic. If you have one, great. If you don't, great. Just make your body the best and healthiest it can be and try not to sweat the things you can't change.
    Yes! It's mostly genetic. If it's something that your body can attain, there's nothing wrong with working to strengthen your muscles and slim down (overall, since you can't spot reduce), but if it's something that you're not genetically able to achieve in a healthy way, it's a stupid goal. (I'm talking in general, not just to the OP because I don't know the OP's genetics).

Sure, I'd like it if my thighs didn't rub together, but genetically for me, that's not going to happen unless I'm disgustingly underweight. Other people can have a "thigh gap" and be average or even slightly overweight.

The best thing to do is focus on overall health and fitness since those are things that you can actually do something about. You can't change genetics.
    Maybe she was born with that feature, what do you know about her?
    I understand where you're coming from.
    Usually in threads like this, they get the same kinds of responses that we've seen here, and if OP was born with that feature, personally, I think it might have helped cut down on them a little bit by her saying so and saying that while she's working on overall fitness and body fat loss, she'd like to work on slimming her thighs. Of course, then she'd get a ton of responses saying she can't spot reduce, but she can tone her thighs which would make them look slimmer. :ohwell:

OP, not everyone in here that's telling you not to worry about trying to get a thigh gap is trying to be mean. It really is mostly genetic. I understand the appeal completely, and I would LOVE to have one, but I've accepted the fact that it's not a healthy possibility for my body. If that's the case with you too, it's best to learn and accept that so that you don't end up going to unhealthy measures to try to achieve it or get disappointed if you don't. :flowerforyou:
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Back dimples are coveted? Wow...all this time, I never knew!! Well, at least I have something going for me!! Woohoo! :drinker:

(not being snarky, I really never knew people would want them)
    At first I thought you were being snarky, until I saw you were excited to have them :blushing:

There's plenty of posts. Just do a search; you'll see how coveted they are :flowerforyou: