Miss USA too skiny? or Not? What do you guys think?

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    That's what you focus on? Really? We have a thread full of anger and one minor tweak of this person spewing hate hurts you?

I've already commented on the body shaming that has been going on throughout this thread. I commented on that specifically because it was the first time it was coming from someone on my friends list.

For the record, I don't think it's right to body shame any shape or size.

That being said, I don't like beauty pageants because I think they promote a very narrow standard of beauty. No one can argue that this woman does not have what it takes to be Miss USA. Obviously she does. But I don't think we all have to agree that she is the standard by which we should judge ourselves, or that she is the all-time ideal body type.

And, to answer the OP, NO. I don't think she's "too skinny" just because she has a thinner body type. She quite obviously has plenty of muscle that she has worked hard to sculpt.

It's perfectly fine to not agree that she is the epitome of beauty. That's everyone's right, but to start judging her because she has chosen to enter a beauty pageant and to become very fit is no better than someone else fat shaming someone who has chosen to eat too much and not exercise. At least give her the respect she deserves for her hard work. I'm not going to even address the "narrow standard of beauty" comment as it's a non-starter and a great way to come off as quite jealous. Besides, how can you not see the progress that has been made here from a move of holding up women with eating disorders as beautiful to a woman winning this contest who is very athletically built? That's a hell of a step in my book and one that has been largely overlooked in this thread.

My comment was absolutely dripping with sarcasm and if you knew me (you friended me for some reason), then you would know that. It was a sarcastic comment throwing a stereotype back in a very angry person's face.

So, you'd argue that the criteria for someone entering the Miss USA pageant is pretty broad, then?

Again, the sarcasm wasn't lost on me. I just didn't find the comment funny. You thought it was okay to body shame someone because they body shamed someone else. I disagree with that approach. It's okay for us to disagree on it.

Wow. Just wow. Some basics for you: (1) "progress" does not equal "broad" but, that said, I have no problem with their standard of beauty as it is pretty close to my own and the this new Miss USA is spot on, and (2) not all sarcasm is meant to be funny so much as biting.
  • LordMarius
    LordMarius Posts: 28
    Options
    This thread has become wayyyyyyy to serious, it's funny to watch the bullsh*t slinging.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    She looks good.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Why do people make threads to promote negative commentary on a particular person or body type? I don't get it. I thought people here wanted positive reinforcement.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    So, you'd argue that the criteria for someone entering the Miss USA pageant is pretty broad, then?

Again, the sarcasm wasn't lost on me. I just didn't find the comment funny. You thought it was okay to body shame someone because they body shamed someone else. I disagree with that approach. It's okay for us to disagree on it.

Wow. Just wow. Some basics for you: (1) "progress" does not equal "broad" but, that said, I have no problem with their standard of beauty as it is pretty close to my own and the this new Miss USA is spot on, and (2) not all sarcasm is meant to be funny so much as biting.

Some basics for you:

1) I have a much broader standard of beauty than either you or the Miss USA pageant. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate Miss USA. It just means I'm allowed to appreciate my own beauty as well. And I do.

2) I agree with you that there is no reason to body shame her. I just don't find any reason to body shame anyone else in defense of her, either, which is where we have disagreed on this, and I'm still okay with that.

3) Like you, I am hoping that this new Miss USA will have a positive effect on the public's idea of fitness as it pertains to beauty, especially where women are concerned.
  • HobbitSithLord
    HobbitSithLord Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    She's obviously worked hard to look like that, and there's tons of people out there who go for just that type. So good for her for the hard work. Too skinny is sort of a broad thing. Is she too skinny to be healthy? No, she's obviously healthy. Too skinny for personal taste? I think if I munched box I would want someone with a higher body fat percentage, a little smooshier. But I don't, so I guess that doesn't matter. And would I want to look like that? Nah. I do want to retain some squish, and I always will. Even when I was 118 I was 'softer' than that and okay with it. I think that much tone on that type of shape tends towards the masculine.

So yeah, tl;dr: Not too skinny to be healthy; from a matter of personal perspective there are body types I do prefer to look at/want myself, she does look a little masculine, but it doesn't matter what I think because she's obviously happy with herself. (I would hope.)
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Who cares she's beautiful. I hate judgy people always hatin' on women's bodies. Bunch of hatas

I second this.

She looks like a VS model to me.... and guys generally think they are hot, right? My husband watches me flip through the VS catalog and always points at random models saying "dang she needs to eat a hamburger" but I also know he has a thing for Adriana Lima... *side eye* LOL I say don't hate, appreciate.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Why do people make threads to promote negative commentary on a particular person or body type? I don't get it. I thought people here wanted positive reinforcement.

I don't think it was the OP's intent for this to promote any negative commentary. My guess is she had a conversation with a friend who said Miss USA was too skinny and OP wanted to get other opinions, thinking people here were adult enough to handle it.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options

I don't think it was the OP's intent for this to promote any negative commentary. My guess is she had a conversation with a friend who said Miss USA was too skinny and OP wanted to get other opinions, thinking people here were adult enough to handle it.

Must be new.
    Options

Must be new.

me? Or the OP? I'm definitely not new. I've been here for 2 years.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options

Must be new.

The OP, specifically regarding your comment "thinking people here were adult enough to handle it."
    Options

Must be new.

The OP, specifically regarding your comment "thinking people here were adult enough to handle it."

I didn't say that was what she was thinking, as I'm not a mind reader. I was just saying I didn't think she started this thread to have body shaming ensue.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I think she is beautiful. Seems she worked hard to get what she is showing.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Some basics for you:

1) I have a much broader standard of beauty than either you or the Miss USA pageant. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate Miss USA. It just means I'm allowed to appreciate my own beauty as well. And I do.

2) I agree with you that there is no reason to body shame her. I just don't find any reason to body shame anyone else in defense of her, either, which is where we have disagreed on this, and I'm still okay with that.

3) Like you, I am hoping that this new Miss USA will have a positive effect on the public's idea of fitness as it pertains to beauty, especially where women are concerned.

I've gotten tired of the jealousy and rage over someone else's hard work and clear success. Giving the winner a pat on the back and firm handshake is something I learned as a kid playing sports. It's clear that's missing in many. And I don't tell the winner at a game of football that I'm better at soccer, but many seem to think it's appropriate to comment that the winner of the Miss USA contest doesn't fit their standard of beauty. You don't like my opinion, then no worries, but don't expect me to agree with you or put up with this garbage on my news feed.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I think it only matters what she thinks of herself.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options

Some basics for you:

I've gotten tired of the jealousy and rage over someone else's hard work and clear success. Giving the winner a pat on the back and firm handshake is something I learned as a kid playing sports. It's clear that's missing in many. And I don't tell the winner at a game of football that I'm better at soccer, but many seem to think it's appropriate to comment that the winner of the Miss USA contest doesn't fit their standard of beauty. You don't like my opinion, then no worries, but don't expect me to agree with you or put up with this garbage on my news feed.

I thought the only thing you and I disagreed on is your approach to someone here who was body shaming. I never said Miss USA wasn't beautiful. In fact, I think she is. She certainly has a lovely face and smile. She's not my "ideal body style," that's all. (For anyone actually interested in seeing a photo of what I, personally, would say is ideal, go ahead and Google "Salma Hayek From Dusk Til Dawn" and see the photos of her dancing with the python... go ahead. I'll wait.)

This Miss USA is fit -- no one can argue that -- and hopefully this will herald a new trend in this pageant.
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't really care for beauty pageants..it's too bad that women are still happy to put themselves up there to be judged and men (it's mostly men) are still happy to judge them....but to play devil's advocate, she DID do that..she put herself on camera in front of millions to be scrutinized...so I am sure she is secure enough in herself and doesn't need saving. And any so called hatred would not particularly bother her...so don't feel she needs protection from jealous or concerned women ;)

She is fit, she is muscular, she is healthy looking but, as many have pointed out, her look is not to everyone's taste and maybe a body which dispays this level of probably obsessional fitness, is not a great role model for young girls as it is hard to achieve without dedicating a hell of a lot of time to it, perhaps to the detriment of her knowledge on life and the world. Besides the fact, that putting oneself up there to be judged by looks alone is not a great standard for young girls either....

This is beside the point, but I had to say it.
    Either ways, her body is fine. It is a little lacking in feminine curves for my taste but she obviously works very hard on it..so bravo!
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    super body to me..
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Muscular and fit. her body is made in the gym
  • Samiamy2k
    Samiamy2k Posts: 50
    Options
    I don't think she's as much skinny as rock hard toned. I prefer women just a little softer than that, but she strikes me as being all muscle.

So some people are hating on the new Miss USA cause they say she is " too thin" personally i think she looks pretty good. Slim and toned! what do you guys think? And a friend of mine said men prefer women with curves and all men would find her to be " too skinny " So i ask you men do you think she's hot or not? Ladies what do you think?

miss-usa-winner-erin-brady-gi.jpg
    [/quote]