Replies

• murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    geeesh where did you move? Compton?
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    There's no outbreak of law-abiding concealed carry citizens shooting people. It doesn't happen.

... but there's been an outbreak of people attacking people out for a jog?

Seems to be the case in Oh Canada.

Here ya go

Canada VS US

Rape Victims -

Can -0.8% - Ranked 8th. 100% more than United States
    US - 0.4% - Ranked 13th.

Assault Victims
    Canada -2.3% -Ranked 5th. 92% more than United States
    US-1.2% - Ranked 11th.

Total Crime Victims
    23.8% - Ranked 7th. 13% more than United States Ranked 7th. 13% more than United States
    US - 21.1% - Ranked 15th.

Perception of Safety - Walking in the Dark

Tied
    82% - US - Ranked 2nd.
    82% - Can - Ranked 3rd.

Suicide

Can- 15 per 100,000 people
    US - 13.7 per 100,000 people

* Cant compare gun crime rate for obvious reasons.

Canada is a real crime free utopia, eh?

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Canada/United-States/Crime
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I like that your dog is taking a *kitten* in the background of your profile pic. Photo bombed by your pup. Nice!

:laugh:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    9mm S&W Shield might have been a better choice, but a 22lr in the knee cap will ruin a bad guy's day.

What some folks don't understand is, there are some running trails where homeless drug addicts live, and rapes DO happen. Even in NH. Happened a couple years ago in Nashua. Female runner in Mines Falls, early morning, gang raped. I applaud your husband for wanting you to stay safe.

That being said, a fannypack holster might be better......

I live in Maryland, close to a Metro station. A young female was gang raped at 4am one morning, as she was walking home from work.

I am 1) jealous that I can't keep a gun in my bra and 2) bitter because we live in Maryland and refer to #1.

I feel for you. What our European friends and envious Canadians dont understand, is that the US was founded on the principle of self reliance. We take care of our own business.

When seconds count, a policeman is only 10 minutes away.

But, but, our political overlords tell us that self help is terrible! C'mon, we should want to be more like our Canuck and English friends. You know, the government is there to protect us and control us at all times.

Sorry, I got all zombie for a moment. Kinda funny to see how ignorant our non-US friends are.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Persons unprepared to use a gun lethally should never have a gun. More likely than not, their weapon will just end up getting used on them.

Now, I've seen this assertion a lot, but have never seen legitimate data on it. For funsies I ran a few n=1 play tests, where people trying to steal my gun from me ended up peppered by airsoft balls. Do you have any credible data that shows, "their weapon will just end up getting used on them."
  • dbmata
    Options
    There's no outbreak of law-abiding concealed carry citizens shooting people. It doesn't happen.

... but there's been an outbreak of people attacking people out for a jog?

I wouldn't call it an outbreak so much as a constant presence. Violent crime has always been a part of our society.

Yeah, he kind of left out the part of the quote where I was almost attacked and luckily had a gun that scared off the perp. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been an "almost." Funny how pulling out a gun makes a huge guy with a lead pipe run away.

But you know, me actually using a gun to defend myself....that didn't fit with his agenda.

I've been attacked in boston by a couple guys while out running. They forgot they had a pressing appointment when I pulled my pistol for protection. I guess that fits his agenda even less, because I'm a big friendly guy.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    9mm S&W Shield might have been a better choice, but a 22lr in the knee cap will ruin a bad guy's day.

What some folks don't understand is, there are some running trails where homeless drug addicts live, and rapes DO happen. Even in NH. Happened a couple years ago in Nashua. Female runner in Mines Falls, early morning, gang raped. I applaud your husband for wanting you to stay safe.

That being said, a fannypack holster might be better......

I live in Maryland, close to a Metro station. A young female was gang raped at 4am one morning, as she was walking home from work.

I am 1) jealous that I can't keep a gun in my bra and 2) bitter because we live in Maryland and refer to #1.

I feel for you. What our European friends and envious Canadians dont understand, is that the US was founded on the principle of self reliance. We take care of our own business.

When seconds count, a policeman is only 10 minutes away.

But, but, our political overlords tell us that self help is terrible! C'mon, we should want to be more like our Canuck and English friends. You know, the government is there to protect us and control us at all times.

Sorry, I got all zombie for a moment. Kinda funny to see how ignorant our non-US friends are.

LOL The Canucks and Limey's are subjects and have been emasculated by their rulers. I am blessed to live in Texas and we kinda get to think for ourselves every once in a while.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Persons unprepared to use a gun lethally should never have a gun. More likely than not, their weapon will just end up getting used on them.

Now, I've seen this assertion a lot, but have never seen legitimate data on it. For funsies I ran a few n=1 play tests, where people trying to steal my gun from me ended up peppered by airsoft balls. Do you have any credible data that shows, "their weapon will just end up getting used on them."

The difference is that you're willing to shoot. If you don't have the will to pull the trigger, you won't. Therefore, if you don't have the will to use a weapon, you shouldn't carry one. No, I don't have a study to counter your highly scientific test :-)
  • kaseyrose87
    kaseyrose87 Posts: 125
    Options
    Coming form Australia I love reading these posts! Sounds so funny that you would even be allowed to carry any type of weapon!
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    I live in Canada.

You are awesome! (So do I :wink: )

ditto

and even in Van I would not think of needing a weapon....well maybe in surrey :P
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    That sounds ridiculous. As you pointed out, you probably wouldn't be able to use any of your weapons if it came down to it. If you need to carry 3 weapons to take a walk maybe you should more, or buy a treadmill
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I have one of those, paranoid hubby and a gun! We live in a location that you can openly carry , no permit required. I totally believe in self protection, thankfully I live in a low crime state, now how can that be when it is legal for anyone to openly carry a gun. The 22 long barrel seems a bit wrong for a bra holster. If you want to carry concealed on a run I would look for something more appropriate size, that you can get to easier and not have to worry about shooting off a body part. or check out some concealment garments

pgroup_7138_image_115x115__shadow.jpg[img][/img]
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    Coming form Australia I love reading these posts! Sounds so funny that you would even be allowed to carry any type of weapon!

What I think is so funny is a 26 year old who has all the answers!

The basic role of police is not proactive, but reactionary. They generally show up after the crime has been committed and document the event.

Crime Stats: World Ranking - Australia VS United States

Assault Victims
    Oz - 2.4% Ranked 4th - 100% more than the USA
    USA -1.2% Ranked 11th

Rape Victims
    Oz -1% - Ranked 5th - 150% more than USA
    USA - 0.4% - Ranked 13

Total Crime Victims
    Oz - 30.1% - Ranked #1 - 43% more than the USA
    USA - 21.1% Ranked 15

Perception of Safety Walking in the dark
    Oz - 64% Ranked 14th
    USA - 82% Ranked 2nd - 28% more than Oz

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Australia/United-States/Crime
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Was glad to see this thread because I'm planning to get my concealed carry permit now that I'm into running. I live right by Disney World, and take it from me, it's NOT the happiest place on earth. We already have an excellent alarm system because of all the robberies around here, and most of our neighbors have guns. I'm originally from Chicago and actually felt safer there than Orlando/Kissimmee. I love living here for many reasons, but there are certain places I won't run at certain times of day until I get my weapon. I was thinking of a .22 but this thread is making me rethink that since the gun would be for home protection too. We've got expanded castle doctrine here, which means the right to shoot if you feel threatened, with no duty to retreat, so guns are pretty useful deterrents.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

The basic role of police is not proactive, but reactionary. They generally show up after the crime has been committed and document the event.

Assault Victims
    USA -1.2% Ranked 11th

Rape Victims
    USA - 0.4% - Ranked 13

Total Crime Victims
    USA - 21.1% Ranked 15

Oz - 64% Ranked 14th

Murders committed with firearms:
    OZ - 59
    USA - 9,369

Murders committed by youths:
    OZ - 88
    USA - 8,226

Think you missed a couple of stats you didn't like out of that slapdown buddy!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options

Assault Victims
    USA -1.2% Ranked 11th

Rape Victims
    USA - 0.4% - Ranked 13

Total Crime Victims
    USA - 21.1% Ranked 15

Oz - 64% Ranked 14th

OZ - 59
    USA - 9,369

OZ - 88
    USA - 8,226

Cant compare things you dont have silly boy. Why not compare kangaroo molestations or digiridoo crimes? Bottom line, Oz, UK and Canada have higher crime rates in areas reflective of not having means of protection....but dont worry, the US always seem to show up in time to save the defenseless in distress.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    OZ - 59
    USA - 9,369

OZ - 88
    USA - 8,226

Cant compare things you dont have silly boy. Why not compare kangaroo molestations or digiridoo crimes? Bottom line, Oz, UK and Canada have higher crime rates in areas reflective of not having means of protection....but dont worry, the US always seem to show up in time to save the defenseless in distress.

Dude, why so angry?!

Just trying to help you out......
  • krlong6
    krlong6 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have a concealed carry and would definitely carry while running in an area like you've described. I, however, would probably not go with the gun that he has presented to you. The revolver isn't going to be comfortable to conceal against your person. I have an XD40. There are specialized waist holsters that you can put on, similar to a belt, that will conceal the weapon against your waist area and not be noticeable to those who do not know what they are looking for. I'd suggest going that route to resume your cheerful workout. :)
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    OZ - 59
    USA - 9,369

OZ - 88
    USA - 8,226

Dude, why so angry?!

Im not angry and I didnt mean to frighten you son.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    OZ - 59
    USA - 9,369

OZ - 88
    USA - 8,226

Dude, why so angry?!

Im not angry and I didnt mean to frighten you son.

Lol!