Try exercising with a gun in your bra

Options

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Not trying to troll anyone here. I was not raised in a gun culture or in a paranoid one. I do not live in the boondocks I live and always lived in a city of over 1 million people ( and for years lots more than that) and I have NEVER felt unsafe.

Even if carrying handguns was legal here I would never think of doing so, especially not to work out. I run by myself every week. I go hiking in the woods by myself every week and the only thing I take with me is my cell phone.

I am in the process of moving to the US, my husband is American, and I am really wondering if the problem is that the country itself is completely unsafe or is everyone thinking it's normal to carry a gun every day ( and especially when running!) because there's a paranoid mentality going on that you were all raised with?

I'm trying to understand it.

Please do some searches for "running safety" on here. You will find quite a number of threads by women in the U.K. who are scared to run because they are regularly verbally assaulted by men and are truly afraid of being raped. Is it fair to assume that the U.K. is awash with women being assaulted when they run? I'm guessing no. You will likely find the U.S. to be a very safe place to live if you are not living in a poor and crime ridden neighborhood. We were not all raised with a "paranoid mentality" anymore than the all people in the U.K. are paranoid.

First thing First.: Not in the UK.

Let me change "paranoid" to having been raised in a culture of fear, it doesn't sound as negative. We have big cities here and some with gangs and high crime rates but people are not walking around every day fearing for their safety. Why are Americans so scared? That's what I'm trying to understand. How do you go through life fearing that someone will attack you EVERY day? I don't want my children to develop that fear.

I mean it's intelligence 101 not go walk alone or run alone in "bad neighbourhoods" and even if I could carry a gun or a knife or pepper spray I would not pull it on someone verbally assaulting me. What happened to ignoring idiots or telling them off?

I can honestly say that the thing that scares me the most about moving is having to live with people carrying guns on them, that's a lot more terrifying to me than the chance that I might fall victim to a criminal. ( But I'm moving to NE so I have better chance of getting lost in a cornfield than murdered)

As I stated above, we were not all raised with a "paranoid mentality" or a "culture of fear." You obviously watch way too much American TV and Hollywood movies.

The OP is running with a gun in her bra.......... and a lot of the posters find this to be normal behavior. That kind makes my point.

Anyways. Thank you for your answers.

So the one poster raising the point paints the entire U.S. under that light, but my pointing out that I am not like what is being portrayed in videos is not valid? Interesting. Well done, folks. Believe what you want to believe. I see intelligent discussion with this group is impossible.

why are you taking this so personally? you have referred to yourself in every comment. no one is wanting to attack you, per se. (or anyone, really).

you're right, stats would help. i'm being glib and loose and probably shouldn't. so, off to do some burpees and then take a walk in the park.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Not trying to troll anyone here. I was not raised in a gun culture or in a paranoid one. I do not live in the boondocks I live and always lived in a city of over 1 million people ( and for years lots more than that) and I have NEVER felt unsafe.

Even if carrying handguns was legal here I would never think of doing so, especially not to work out. I run by myself every week. I go hiking in the woods by myself every week and the only thing I take with me is my cell phone.

I am in the process of moving to the US, my husband is American, and I am really wondering if the problem is that the country itself is completely unsafe or is everyone thinking it's normal to carry a gun every day ( and especially when running!) because there's a paranoid mentality going on that you were all raised with?

Please do some searches for "running safety" on here. You will find quite a number of threads by women in the U.K. who are scared to run because they are regularly verbally assaulted by men and are truly afraid of being raped. Is it fair to assume that the U.K. is awash with women being assaulted when they run? I'm guessing no. You will likely find the U.S. to be a very safe place to live if you are not living in a poor and crime ridden neighborhood. We were not all raised with a "paranoid mentality" anymore than the all people in the U.K. are paranoid.

Let me change "paranoid" to having been raised in a culture of fear, it doesn't sound as negative. We have big cities here and some with gangs and high crime rates but people are not walking around every day fearing for their safety. Why are Americans so scared? That's what I'm trying to understand. How do you go through life fearing that someone will attack you EVERY day? I don't want my children to develop that fear.

I mean it's intelligence 101 not go walk alone or run alone in "bad neighbourhoods" and even if I could carry a gun or a knife or pepper spray I would not pull it on someone verbally assaulting me. What happened to ignoring idiots or telling them off?

I can honestly say that the thing that scares me the most about moving is having to live with people carrying guns on them, that's a lot more terrifying to me than the chance that I might fall victim to a criminal. ( But I'm moving to NE so I have better chance of getting lost in a cornfield than murdered)

As I stated above, we were not all raised with a "paranoid mentality" or a "culture of fear." You obviously watch way too much American TV and Hollywood movies.

The OP is running with a gun in her bra.......... and a lot of the posters find this to be normal behavior. That kind makes my point.

So the one poster raising the point paints the entire U.S. under that light, but my pointing out that I am not like what is being portrayed in videos is not valid? Interesting. Well done, folks. Believe what you want to believe. I see intelligent discussion with this group is impossible.

If I believed that I definitely would not have married an American nor would I be willingly moving to the US. It's just very hard for the rest of the world to wrap their minds around some things that a lot of you, not all of you, as US citizens find completely normal. For a lot of us it seems completely unhinged or paranoid but whenever you try to have a reasonable discussions about the root of the mentality your normally end up on the other end of someone turning the argument into " BALD EAGLE, FREEDOM, Y'ALL ARE COMMIES!! ' MURICA!!!!11111!!!!!!" or someone like you telling me I watch too much tv ...
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    That is an interesting red herring and I see you use them regularly in your attempts to persuade. I do not find them helpful or productive. You also missed my point. The argument that guns are a product of anger and fear are typical of the Northeastern academic set who are intent on proving their own superiority and seem to desire to be part of a special class that they themselves are out to create. I am originally from Florida, and very well educated, have lived abroad for a number of years, have made rather good money, and am certainly not angry and scared. Nice try though at painting all firearms owners with a very broad and negative brush.

That really isn't the point. Nice strawman.

Please elaborate if you are going to argue these points. She used a red herring and I called her on it. There are intelligent points to be made on both sides of the debate but I'm seeing way too much in terms of moral superiority and outright labeling of gun owners in the above which I find offensive.

As for the statistical arguments, I've read extensively on this subject and did quite a bit of work on it during law school. Most of the studies on the subject are skewed one way or the other and that makes for some frustration. I personally have no desire to get too deep into this argument because I'm bored with it. My only request is keep the argument on point. And while I disagree with you, your stats arguments were at least a good example of fair argumentation. The above was not.

The point is; that by saying that *you* dont fall into the category of being either part of the underclass or scared, you infer that the whole argument is invalid. It isn't - you have created (in this case made yourself into) a strawman to whom the trend does not apply. One person does not a trend make.

For what its worth, I live in the UK and I own legally-held firearms. So; I'm hardly what you would call anti-gun. However, I find the notion that one would be better protected by carrying a pistol in ones brassiere misguided to say the very least.

There is no trend. These "documentaries" intentionally select individuals because they portray what the producers what to portray. I find it interesting that you want to somehow separate me from the group of other firearms owners rather than actually listen to what I have to say on the subject. Come to the U.S. I'm happy to show you the good and the bad.

As for the brassiere comment, it depends on the individual's mind-set, her training, and the situation. The importance of judgment cannot be underestimated.

In so stating, you have managed to gloss over that the US has a much higher rate of violent crime than comparable countries (I believe Switzerland was mentioned).

If there is no culture of fear - why do you suppose this is?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

why are you taking this so personally? you have referred to yourself in every comment. no one is wanting to attack you, per se. (or anyone, really).

you're right, stats would help. i'm being glib and loose and probably shouldn't. so, off to do some burpees and then take a walk in the park.

Another excellent use of the ad hominem, "why are you taking this so personally?" So very innocent and quite an effective rhetorical device. I'm not taking it personally, but I enjoy intelligent debate and there are rules engaging in that manner. If you and others are not willing to engage on such an intellectual level then I am not interested in the discussion as there is nothing to do but fling dirt at each other.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    That is an interesting red herring and I see you use them regularly in your attempts to persuade. I do not find them helpful or productive. You also missed my point. The argument that guns are a product of anger and fear are typical of the Northeastern academic set who are intent on proving their own superiority and seem to desire to be part of a special class that they themselves are out to create. I am originally from Florida, and very well educated, have lived abroad for a number of years, have made rather good money, and am certainly not angry and scared. Nice try though at painting all firearms owners with a very broad and negative brush.

Please elaborate if you are going to argue these points. She used a red herring and I called her on it. There are intelligent points to be made on both sides of the debate but I'm seeing way too much in terms of moral superiority and outright labeling of gun owners in the above which I find offensive.

As for the statistical arguments, I've read extensively on this subject and did quite a bit of work on it during law school. Most of the studies on the subject are skewed one way or the other and that makes for some frustration. I personally have no desire to get too deep into this argument because I'm bored with it. My only request is keep the argument on point. And while I disagree with you, your stats arguments were at least a good example of fair argumentation. The above was not.

The point is; that by saying that *you* dont fall into the category of being either part of the underclass or scared, you infer that the whole argument is invalid. It isn't - you have created (in this case made yourself into) a strawman to whom the trend does not apply. One person does not a trend make.

For what its worth, I live in the UK and I own legally-held firearms. So; I'm hardly what you would call anti-gun. However, I find the notion that one would be better protected by carrying a pistol in ones brassiere misguided to say the very least.

There is no trend. These "documentaries" intentionally select individuals because they portray what the producers what to portray. I find it interesting that you want to somehow separate me from the group of other firearms owners rather than actually listen to what I have to say on the subject. Come to the U.S. I'm happy to show you the good and the bad.

As for the brassiere comment, it depends on the individual's mind-set, her training, and the situation. The importance of judgment cannot be underestimated.

In so stating, you have managed to gloss over that the US has a much higher rate of violent crime than comparable countries (I believe Switzerland was mentioned).

Are you saying that a culture of fear causes violence? Or are you saying that we "should" have a culture of fear?
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options

Are you saying that a culture of fear causes violence? Or are you saying that we "should" have a culture of fear?

It definitely does.Fear breeds Fear and Violence.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    This has probably been said already, but why not just join a gym or buy equipment and work at home if you're that afraid? I'd be more afraid of you and your gun than whatever you're likely to encounter on the street.

I can understand carrying pepper spray or even a taser if it's legal. But a gun? Every day the police make poor judgments and kill or maim people and they receive training. You're a civilian and in an even worse position.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am from a very small community and crime was never an issue or a real concern of mine. A few years ago we moved to a heavily populated area on the west coast. Since we have been here, my spouse has become shall I say paranoid, maybe? I literally cannot go out jogging without our old faithful dog who is 8 and although he has bursts of puppy enthusiasm, he would much rather slow down to smell the roses. I have been armed with a taser for my purse, a knife for my coat pocket and just yesterday he presented me with a .22 long barrel revolver (it's a mini) with a bra holster, so I can be safe. I have a concealed weapons permit so packing is not the issue that I have. If, in fact, I were in danger I would probably shoot off a booby whilst stabbing my side and tasing my *kitten*. Does anyone else have a paranoid spouse?

Wow, craziness!

I don't know if it's just me but.... I feel WAY SAFER in the city then in small towns or suburbs, LOL. They creep me out.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    wow, who referred to "documentaries"? there is solid research, published in peer-reviewed journals, supporting the analysis above.

lovely lady moving to the US: the reason they're afraid is they don't trust each other (the diversity they celebrate correlates to inequalities), and they don't trust the state. use of guns-> historical accident around availability & production + because of certain interpretations of their constitution, they equate gun ownership with personhood & freedom, which is central to the idealized american identity. you'll take the guns from their cold, dead hands. (yup trolling now)

You and your friend both ignored facts in favor of speculation and anecdotes. The citizens of the USA do not live in fear. We are a self reliant people. We take care of our own business and that includes personal defense. You who reside in a nanny state rely on others to tend to your needs.

The facts tell the tale, and the bottom line is the violent crime rates in your countries are higher than that of the US. The difference being that in the US, it is the thugs who must be prudent as to who they decide to victimize. Thugs will always seek to gain the advantage and if guns are eliminated, then they will use clubs or knives.
  • justinstuart99705
    justinstuart99705 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The country is not completely unsafe. It depends on your location. For example, I live in North Pole/Fairbanks, Alaska. I carry almost every day unless I am going to or from work or to pickup my kids, ( I work on a Military Installation and my kids go to School on a US Army Installation).

Up here, a lot of people carry for different reasons. I carry for protection, my wife has had someone come up and bang on her window because she didn't turn in front of a car. Luckly, for the other person I wasn't with.

We have also had someone stabbed in front of his own son and die because of road rage. I don't like to put my hands in the hopes a cop can get to me in time. Case in point, I had my alarm system go off, (I live in the town of North Pole, response time for cops is about 1 minute vs those who live else where, where troopers take hours and hours to respond). The cop sent me in first, and he had the gun and the body armor. Safe to say, after he left (without checking closets, garage etc,) I grabbed my wepon and cleared my own home.

People with guns kill people, not the "gun." I am in the military, I am trained in weapon use, I carry concealed, I practice gun safety. You never know when you need a weapon, such as the family hiking in Denali National Park that shot a moose because she charged the family.

Just because someone carrys a weapon doesn't mean they have a paranoid mentality. I carry to protect myself and my family. Cities that have very loose gun laws are often safter, because the bad guy doesn't know if the other person has a weapon as well.

• BeachIron
    Options

If I believed that I definitely would not have married an American nor would I be willingly moving to the US. It's just very hard for the rest of the world to wrap their minds around some things that a lot of you, not all of you, as US citizens find completely normal. For a lot of us it seems completely unhinged or paranoid but whenever you try to have a reasonable discussions about the root of the mentality your normally end up on the other end of someone turning the argument into " BALD EAGLE, FREEDOM, Y'ALL ARE COMMIES!! ' MURICA!!!!11111!!!!!!" or someone like you telling me I watch too much tv ...

Have you ever lived in a foreign country before? I saw this similar line of reasoning from other Americans when I was living in Japan. I swear there were people that honestly thought that the country was full of samurai, ninjas, geisha, and sushi eaters because that is what they equated with Japan. Yes, we have racist, xenophobic, flag waving, *kitten* in the U.S. Japan, China, Germany, and the U.K. does too. Canada also has them, and you're frankly you're starting to sound a bit nationalistic with your insults.
  • SteveJWatson
    Options

I'm suggesting it does, yes. If not, you could suggest another reason why violent crime is higher in the USA. Disnenfranchised underclass, maybe? :tongue:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I decided to teach my wife to shoot shortly after we started dating seriously. I wanted to make sure she was safe and figured she didn't have much experience. I went through a full safety lecture with my Glock, worked with her on her stance, etc. She patiently listened, nodded her head the entire time and never asked a question. When I was finished 'splain'n things to the little lady I took her to the range where she proceed to put round after round through the same hole. I've honestly never seen anything like it save for a friend who was an Army sniper. She then told me, yea, her uncle had given her the same lecture and taught her how to shoot when she was quite young. So yea, if anyone ever breaks into our house I'm handing her the pistol.

I love this!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I go out with my bulldog, he's all the protection I need. People walk on the other side of the road.....

I go out with my Weiner Dog.
  • SteveJWatson
    Options

The facts tell the tale, and the bottom line is the violent crime rates in your countries are higher than that of the US. The difference being that in the US, it is the thugs who must be prudent as to who they decide to victimize. Thugs will always seek to gain the advantage and if guns are eliminated, then they will use clubs or knives.

Er no; no they aren't. Quite the reverse.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

Another excellent use of the ad hominem, "why are you taking this so personally?" So very innocent and quite an effective rhetorical device. I'm not taking it personally, but I enjoy intelligent debate and there are rules engaging in that manner. If you and others are not willing to engage on such an intellectual level then I am not interested in the discussion as there is nothing to do but fling dirt at each other.

dude, your constant & emotive references to your n=1 sample (n=2 if we count mentions of your wife), in which "I'm not like that" = some kind of argument, come across as defensive, full stop (and also, as not-great arguments). it very much sounds as though there is significant personal investment in this subject.

also, i have not once flung dirt at you. i dare you to identify an instance in which that happened.

the rules of engagement - this is mfp? i admitted to being flippant, but i'm allowed, here.

edit: i on the other hand have so far enjoyed at least 3 personal attacks from you.
  • BeachIron
    Options

It definitely does.Fear breeds Fear and Violence.

You do recognize that you are assuming that "the U.S." has a culture of fear and violence, right? We are a very large country and while I am sure there are areas with cultures of "fear and violence" I haven't visited them.

Have you been to the U.S.? If so for how long and where? Or are these perceptions coming from T.V. and common belief? 'm trying to get a feel for where you are coming from.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    and I am really wondering if the problem is that the country itself is completely unsafe or is everyone thinking it's normal to carry a gun every day ( and especially when running!) because there's a paranoid mentality going on that you were all raised with?

It's been normal to carry a gun in the US since the US was founded. This is nothing new.
  • BeachIron
    Options

dude, your constant & emotive references to your n=1 sample (n=2 if we count mentions of your wife), in which "I'm not like that" = some kind of argument, come across as defensive, full stop (and also, as not-great arguments). it very much sounds as though there is significant personal investment in this subject.

also, i have not once flung dirt at you. i dare you to identify an instance in which that happened.

the rules of engagement - this is mfp? i admitted to being flippant, but i'm allowed, here.

I use personal examples when a broad brush is used to paint an entire group. That said, nothing more to say to you. Full stop.
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like he loves you. I'm certainly not the paranoid type but carry a weapon when I run outside as we are living in a crazy world. BTW, as a Mudokwan instructor, I'm fairly proficient in defending myself; however, even that is a poor defense against a perpetrator with a gun