Weird/Funniest things you have seen at the Gym

Options

Replies

• mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I saw a young guy about 18 trying to figure out how the stair machine worked. He'd go super fast for a second and then struggle to get back to the top then go slow and slowly speed up way to fast. To beat it all there was an older guy behind him who kept making eye contact with me with a WTH kind of look on his face. When he walked a way they guy says "Well, I've NEVER seen anything like that here."
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Honestly most of the funny things I see are how people are dressed. I go to planet fitness, and we all know for the most part they are a very cardiocentric gym, though mine has the most free weights I have ever seen in a PF, because it used to be a golds gym. So when I see somebody in full MMA gear gloves and all, and not even using the free weights, I think it is hilarious. Then there are these two guys that come dressed just in street clothes, but not regular street clothes, I'm talking about nice sweaters, designer jeans, and shoes, and they only do the pull-ups on the pull-up assisted machine, and ab workouts, to their credit though, my gym is full of a lot of extremely attractive women, but the bad part for them is these women are actually way into fitness, and lifting weights and can be heard making fun of these guys.
  • banana_milk
    Options
    Curling in the squat rack... Not so much weird as it is annoying, especially since my gym only has one squat rack.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    There's a guy at my gym that, while walking on the treadmill, makes airplane noises with his arms out like he's flying. He's also a compulsive cleaner and wipes everything down before he leaves. I mean everything, even the equipment he didn't use.
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    There's this one guy who goes crazy after finishing a work out. Like, leaping round screaming and dancing crazy. Lol. Good for him for achieving goals, and it brightens my work outs up!
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Is it weird to sing when you're on the treadmill? I don't think it is...as long as you can carry a tune. Right? lol

I don't notice other people that much but when I'm hitting a certain stride and one of my favorite songs comes on the ipod I just can't contain myself......I'm happy. I sing!
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • alwaysgreen17
    alwaysgreen17 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So this wasn't at the gym, per se but I find this to be germane since it has to do with exercising!

I was playing tennis one night and these guys were on the court next to me. They had 40s in the brown bag and smoking cigs while playing. Now that is classy!!!
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    There's a guy at my gym that, while walking on the treadmill, makes airplane noises with his arms out like he's flying. He's also a compulsive cleaner and wipes everything down before he leaves. I mean everything, even the equipment he didn't use.
    I think there's a lot of people who would love to see him at their gyms!
  • JankaLee
    JankaLee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This guy was working out in red flannel pajama pants with his t-shirt tucked in and a fishing hat. And, the whole time he was there he was on this back extension machine flinging himself back while doing bicep curls at the same time. He literally did this for at least 20 minutes.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Saw a guy sleeping on the shoulder press on Saturday. He woke up, used the machine for a minute, moved to a different machine, settled in, and fell asleep again. He slept (snoring away) for about 20 minutes, woke up, did some exercise, went to a different machine, and took another nap. He was still following this pattern when I left about an hour later. Truly bizarre.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Is it weird to sing when you're on the treadmill? I don't think it is...as long as you can carry a tune. Right? lol

I don't notice other people that much but when I'm hitting a certain stride and one of my favorite songs comes on the ipod I just can't contain myself......I'm happy. I sing!

i dont sing out loud but do a mean lip synch, along with hand movements
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I saw a guy doing what I call "full body whiplash pullups" he did them for about 20-30 seconds at a time - it hurt just seeing him out of the corner of my eye. It sort of looked like what gymnasts do on the uneven bars when they are trying to build momentum. Made me feel a little better about my measly 5 pullup sets.

Otherwise I was probably the main source of entertainment - doing freeweights for the first time and starting with an empty barbell (I'm 5'8 ~196 pounds and a pretty stout/beefy individual) in the same area where this tiny lady had 90+ barbell on most of the same stuff I was doing.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It was HAlloween and I was running on the treadmill. I look up and what do I see walking past: a big giant Pikachu (yellow Pokemon).

I giggled and said hey Pikacho,!

The person turns, and goes "I am Wolverine!"

I almost fell off the treadmill I laughed so hard.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I saw a guy doing what I call "full body whiplash pullups" he did them for about 20-30 seconds at a time - it hurt just seeing him out of the corner of my eye. It sort of looked like what gymnasts do on the uneven bars when they are trying to build momentum. Made me feel a little better about my measly 5 pullup sets.

Otherwise I was probably the main source of entertainment - doing freeweights for the first time and starting with an empty barbell (I'm 5'8 ~196 pounds and a pretty stout/beefy individual) in the same area where this tiny lady had 90+ barbell on most of the same stuff I was doing.

sounds like crossfit exercises
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Probably a crossfit kippling pullup
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Probably a crossfit kippling pullup

After a quick google that sounds right, thanks for the term. Looks like it's legit, so it looks like I'm the dumb one (just haven't seen that before).
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options

i dont sing out loud but do a mean lip synch, along with hand movements

What sort of hand movements are we talking about?? Air guitar perhaps.... because I also have a habit of playing drums on the front of the treadmill. When you're listening to a lot of Zeppelin it can't be helped. IMO We could almost start a band man. lol
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    So.. last night at the gym, it was pretty quiet being Sunday night, and I was in the corner quietly getting on with my squats and overhead presses.. it was impossible not to notice a young svelte blonde monopolising two guys in the weights section. She'd talk to them for 5 minutes, go off and do one exercise on the mats, come back, then they were trying to help her with the pullup machine.

Eventually they went over to the bench, and I almost dropped the bar because for one guy's first set she literally sat on his lap. I thought this was only something that happened in male fantasies (and seriously, with which part of his body was he trying to lift?!). She didn't try that stunt for the rest of the time they were on the bench.. but after I'd finished I went to stretch out and she was at the other end of the area. A few minutes later, the guy she'd sat on came over to 'help' her stretch. kneeling in her crotch. pushing one leg vertical over her head and the other flat on the floor. I left them to it..

Amazing!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me want to shout my reps.

One ah ah ah ah

two ah ah ah ah ah

three ah ah ah ah ah