Weird/Funniest things you have seen at the Gym

Options

Replies

• redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    There is this group of guys that come to the gym 3 times a week and work out in saggy pants, they all wear a variety of chains and blingy/ unnessecary jewelry, and baseball caps (with the sticker still on of course.) They take turns benching about 30 pounds and very rudely pointing out women who they want to "bang". One of them came up to me once and asked if they could show me how to do a "real" work out. I was not rude enought o tell him off or smart enough to come up with a clever remark so I just said no thanks and went back to my sets. But really, they are a sight to behold.
  • mzfiyaa
    mzfiyaa Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    people eating pizzas when im over thr trying to workout lol
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm ashamed to say I was once one of those people. I had a goal last year to squat 405lbs and decided a couple months too early to test out my new max with it. I got down low at a good depth and then in a cartoon-like fashion, fell backwards with my legs up in the air like a complete moron. I got a mix of weird looks from some people, loud laughter from the regulars who knew me. I hope I'm not on youtube somewhere.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Bump to get a good laugh later!
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    -The little old guy with the portable oxygen maching, who carries it to every weight machine while he works out. What's your excuse?
    There are a couple of ladies at my gym that use walkers. I'm always so impressed that they are committed to working out. One of them is in in her 70s, but the other lady is fairly young....like 50s.

Also, I was Planet Fitness the other day, and this guy who looked like he might have Cerebral Palsy came in in a wheelchair. He had an aide with him who would help him out of his chair and onto a machine. And he was working out HARD. I thought that was totally cool!

Yeah.....what's my exuse??
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Bump to get a good laugh later!

Remind me...are we laughing *with* them or *at* them. I always forget on threads like this.

Meanwhile, if you're considering joining a gym but are concerned that other people will judge you, don't be! Everyone there will be far too focused on their own workouts even to notice you.*

*(Right? AMIRITE? I'm right, right?)
  • saviarre
    saviarre Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm always hellaciously paranoid that I'm being judged when I go to the gym. I am the very very overweight woman walking at 'only' 2.5 on the treadmill for 'only' a half an hour... But if you actually paid attention, due to a knee injury, at the end of my half hour, my foot is dragging and I'm wincing with every step.

I'm not trying to 'white knight' here, but it isn't fair to judge a person without knowing their story. Granted, most people here aren't judging. We're all here for the same reason - to improve our lives. We all come from different backgrounds and we recognize that about each other. That is why I like this site so much. I have, however, heard some less-than-supportive things from the hardcore gym rats.

I'll never forget the argument I got into with a guy who was griping about the fat women who use the treadmills just to walk. Because they were using them to walk, he was unable to use one to run and this angered him terribly. He argued that they should all walk outside. At this point, I jumped in to explain to him that it was the middle of winter at the time and walking outside was not practical, especially with the asthma that I have. He argued that I was wasting his time and that going to the gym just to walk was hardly worth it. I asked why he didn't just go run outside. He told me that he deserved to be there and these women clearly did not.

These women who were 'just walking' were making an attempt... They're trying... They've already been so emotionally beaten by society's opinions and their own low self-esteems that the fact that they are in the gym and trying is a miracle. They've heard enough of that crap that makes them feel like they're not worth it... that they're wasting the space and the time needed by the people who REALLY deserved to be at the gym.... They're there. They're doing it. These women (and men!!) are my heroes.

So, with all of that in mind, when it comes to the weird and funny things that I've seen at the gym, I do my best to keep to myself. I remember that I don't understand them and they might not understand me. While things seem strange to me sometimes, I just remind myself that we're all in different places on our journey.

Although, the time that the power went out unexpectedly and all of the equipment shut off simultaneously was rather amusing. It caught people mid-run, mid-walk, mid-stride, and all of that momentum has to go somewhere.
  • beelanc
    beelanc Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There is a lady at my gym who is in her sixties, with dyed-jet-black hair. She wears a flowing white eyelet lace blouse and walks on the treadmill at about 2.0 mph. The whole time she is on the treadmill, she is doing a mix of interpretive dance and zumba moves -- waving her arms, making hand motions, sashaying her hips, dipping down and popping back up. Sometimes she holds onto the front of the treadmill and lets her feet drift way back on the belt and then does this little step move to catch back up. It's truly the strangest thing I've ever seen and it kills me to not laugh out loud when she's there.

This should be you tubed. Lol.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    There is a lady at my gym who is in her sixties, with dyed-jet-black hair. She wears a flowing white eyelet lace blouse and walks on the treadmill at about 2.0 mph. The whole time she is on the treadmill, she is doing a mix of interpretive dance and zumba moves -- waving her arms, making hand motions, sashaying her hips, dipping down and popping back up. Sometimes she holds onto the front of the treadmill and lets her feet drift way back on the belt and then does this little step move to catch back up. It's truly the strangest thing I've ever seen and it kills me to not laugh out loud when she's there.
    Do you go to Amanda Bynes' gym????

3hkIm0H.gif
  • mommylifter
    mommylifter Posts: 123
    Options
    One time I decided to check out the sauna at my gym. I walked into what appeared to be a reunion among all the 80 year old men who ''work out'' there. All in tiny white towels, huge bellies, you know, typical grandfatherly types. Sitting in the corner is a young guy minding his own business. I walked in right as one of the old men said ''and you know, Gerald just found out he's got these terrible hemorrhoids and he can't use the bathroom without it hurting him...'' and suddenly the young guy in the corner stands up and yells ''WHAT THE **** MAN?!?!"' and storms out of the sauna. And as if the young guy never said anything at all, the old man just continues on with his story. It was freaking hilarious.
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump to read later... this is too much funniness to read at once. I start the Y next week... cant wait :laugh:
  • Joyride81
    Joyride81 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm going to the wrong gym.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    bump to read later... this is too much funniness to read at once. I start the Y next week... cant wait :laugh:

I am sure you will have some stories in no time...:laugh:
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm always hellaciously paranoid that I'm being judged when I go to the gym. I am the very very overweight woman walking at 'only' 2.5 on the treadmill for 'only' a half an hour... But if you actually paid attention, due to a knee injury, at the end of my half hour, my foot is dragging and I'm wincing with every step.

I'm not trying to 'white knight' here, but it isn't fair to judge a person without knowing their story. Granted, most people here aren't judging. We're all here for the same reason - to improve our lives. We all come from different backgrounds and we recognize that about each other. That is why I like this site so much. I have, however, heard some less-than-supportive things from the hardcore gym rats.

I'll never forget the argument I got into with a guy who was griping about the fat women who use the treadmills just to walk. Because they were using them to walk, he was unable to use one to run and this angered him terribly. He argued that they should all walk outside. At this point, I jumped in to explain to him that it was the middle of winter at the time and walking outside was not practical, especially with the asthma that I have. He argued that I was wasting his time and that going to the gym just to walk was hardly worth it. I asked why he didn't just go run outside. He told me that he deserved to be there and these women clearly did not.

These women who were 'just walking' were making an attempt... They're trying... They've already been so emotionally beaten by society's opinions and their own low self-esteems that the fact that they are in the gym and trying is a miracle. They've heard enough of that crap that makes them feel like they're not worth it... that they're wasting the space and the time needed by the people who REALLY deserved to be at the gym.... They're there. They're doing it. These women (and men!!) are my heroes.

So, with all of that in mind, when it comes to the weird and funny things that I've seen at the gym, I do my best to keep to myself. I remember that I don't understand them and they might not understand me. While things seem strange to me sometimes, I just remind myself that we're all in different places on our journey.

Although, the time that the power went out unexpectedly and all of the equipment shut off simultaneously was rather amusing. It caught people mid-run, mid-walk, mid-stride, and all of that momentum has to go somewhere.
    The guy is a jerk. Tell him it's first come first served, and if he wants to be on the treadmill he better come earlier. I don't have a problem with anybody on the treadmill as long as he's moving. If he's just standing there and chat, then it's an issue.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

The guy is a jerk. Tell him it's first come first served, and if he wants to be on the treadmill he better come earlier. I don't have a problem with anybody on the treadmill as long as he's moving. If he's just standing there and chat, then it's an issue.
    :drinker:
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    One time I decided to check out the sauna at my gym. I walked into what appeared to be a reunion among all the 80 year old men who ''work out'' there. All in tiny white towels, huge bellies, you know, typical grandfatherly types. Sitting in the corner is a young guy minding his own business. I walked in right as one of the old men said ''and you know, Gerald just found out he's got these terrible hemorrhoids and he can't use the bathroom without it hurting him...'' and suddenly the young guy in the corner stands up and yells ''WHAT THE **** MAN?!?!"' and storms out of the sauna. And as if the young guy never said anything at all, the old man just continues on with his story. It was freaking hilarious.

i can confirm i was young guy
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I realise at 130lbs over weight I look a red sweating, panting mess on the treadmill but I am a pretty decent swimmer. I did have a small laugh at a woman who was 'swimming' with her friend a couple of weeks ago. From above the water line both women were swimming breaststroke at a gentle pace. However, below the water one of them was walking but bent at the waist so that eh could do the arm movements. Which would be fine if she hadn't then loudly proclaimed how much she liked a good swim and then proceeded to tell her friend what she was doing wrong with her kick (and it wasn't that fact that she was kicking and not walking!).

Oh and the poster who commented on swimming etiquette - absolutely agree 100%! I had words with some woman who tried to force me out of the swim lane so she could walk and talk to her friend despite having got in the pool 20mins after I started swimming and who then proceeded to yell "Oi! Do you mind getting out of my way!" at me when I held my lane rather than swim around her! She backed off when I pointed out I was swimming timed lengths and she'd got in on top of me. When I got back to the changing room and had my glasses on so could see more than 3ft in front of me she was in there with her friend. If I'd seen her friend when in the pool I'd probably have moved as she looked like an extra from Prisoner Cell Block H! I see them regularly now and they always glare at me but haven't got in my swim lane since LOL
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

i can confirm i was young guy

Wait.

So do we finally have an example of a "gym story" where one of the participants reads about it on the forums???

If so, this is historical.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Nothing too crazy, I was with my trainer once and during my exercise I had to stop and laugh because there was this guy next to me that kept grunting as he was doing pull ups. I'm not one to pay attention to other people or laugh at what they are doing, but he seriously sounded like he was having either the worst or the best sex of his life, it was seriously so obnoxious and loud!

Also as I was on the mats stretching one day, there was this average looking indian/middle eastern (i'm assuming) guy next to me who was doing the most.....'sensual' stretches I've ever seen coming from a man. I mean full on straddle, splits, back arches, 'happy baby' pose (PLEASE google this if you don't know what I'm talking about, yes he was doing this too), he was really going for it. I almost half expected him to whip out a blonde wig and stripper heels. Good for him that he wants to improve his flexibility, but I will admit it was really unexpected and funny to see it at the time.

Did he have a tan complexion, a big nose & with a gray soul patch? If so you shouldnt poke fun at him, he cant help himself.

http://img.izismile.com/img/img4/20110510/640/these_funny_animals_687_640_02.jpg
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    My wife singing metallica on the treadmill, not knowing she is singing out loud, and the guy next to her playing air guitar

EPIC. :smile: