Weird/Funniest things you have seen at the Gym

Options

Replies

• k1229
    k1229 Posts: 135
    Options
    Some of the women who are in there all the time don't seem to do much of anything. Slow walking on the treadmill, sitting on one of the weight machines for a long time without actually using it. What's the point? Maybe they're just there to try to pick up men or something?

See this irritates me, i used to go real slow on the tread, level 5.5 mainly, and maybe 2 on an incline, but i was still working in the ideal fat burning zone for me as an overweight 5 ft 2 in girl. Additionally, tendonitis prevented me from overdoing it and It was safer to take it slow, and be careful than go hell for leather and hurt myself...again.

I agree sitting on the machines without actually using them is irritating, and not remotely beneficial lol.

But sometimes, people are genuinely recovering from injury, or are working out for their size. just because they arent running, or arent power walking at super speeds doesnt mean they arent doing anything, and they arent at home on the couch are they... at least they are doing something.

I cant stand the total Heroes at the gym who are parading around like they own the place intimidating others. as far as i am concerned, were all there for the same reason, because there is something we want to change. props.

I have taken up running, and am enjoying it - even if i do run like Phoebe from Friends.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    -The old people in their jeans and dress shirts, walking the track or on the bikes. So cute.

-The little old guy with the portable oxygen maching, who carries it to every weight machine while he works out. What's your excuse?

-The hipster guy, trying to chat up a girl who is trying to acutally work out, who's parting shot was , "By the way, your butt looks great (loud enough for everyone in the area to hear him)!"
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    -

-The little old guy with the portable oxygen maching, who carries it to every weight machine while he works out. What's your excuse?

At my YMCA its a little old lady on oxygen, and that girl can bust it! She was waiting for a machine once and was like 'Smile hun, your having fun' (I must have had my Swole serious look on) and she asked me what I was using as far as weight goes for the assisted pullup machine (which is 62 lbs) and she was like 'oh yeah thats what I use, but Ive been doing weights for 40 years' :noway: Granted she probably only weighed 95 pounds... but still!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    There is a guy at my gym who looks fit, he's not fat or anything. Looks to be in his 30s. He grunts and moans on the weight machines like he's really exerting himself. I got on the overhead press after him and he had only been lifting 30 pounds. In the free weights section same thing, he did curls using 5 lb. dumb bells, moaning and groaning the whole time. In the squat rack he just did 10 pounds. All the guys in the weight room stopped and stared. I wonder...I think something is wrong with this guy, like he's injured or something. IDK

There is this woman at my gym who started about the same time I did, around the same weight. Recently she came up to me demanding to know what size I am now. I told her a medium in pants/bottoms. She said Well I am now in a SMALL and marched off. I was like lol WUT. She is obviously not a small yet, but whatever. Ever since she has been showing up in too tight exercise pants, and gets wedgies and camel toe!! Poor thing, I wonder why she feels the need to squeeze into clothes too small in an attempt to 'compete' with a woman she vaguely knows from the gym? So strange. The other day I saw her picking out her camel toe and glaring furiously at me and I just busted out laughing. Weirdo!
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Rottenecards_684394_4gp2pry6w5.png
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    At the gym I use to go to there was a young lad there - must of been early 20's and in really good shape and he knew it. One day he suddenly took off his T-Shirt and started flexing his muscles in front of the mirror and after he'd finished doing that he turned around and shouted to everybody in the gym "there's only one God in this gym and that's ME".

I really couldn't believe that he done that - how arrogant! Everybody else just looked at each other in disbelief.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    At the gym I use to go to there was a young lad there - must of been early 20's and in really good shape and he knew it. One day he suddenly took off his T-Shirt and started flexing his muscles in front of the mirror and after he'd finished doing that he turned around and shouted to everybody in the gym "there's only one God in this gym and that's ME".

I really couldn't believe that he done that - how arrogant! Everybody else just looked at each other in disbelief.

I would burst into some maniacal laughter at that!

On a positive note in my gym, I do occasionally see some really unfit people come in, even regularly, to hit some workouts - they always get my props. There's an older guy who is in some of the mornings that I'm there. He's probably no younger than about 70, perhaps even 75, but he gets in there. He even remembers my name (even though I've only talked to him once)!

Last year in Florida when I worked out on vacation, there was this 55-ish guy who walked in on a cane and he was doing leg exercises. Talk about not letting anything hold him back!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    There is a lady at our gym that hubby has nicked name Hamster Lady.

She is only about 4 1/2 foot tall with quite short legs which in itself is not that strange but she has a habit of trying to out run people on the treadmill. Its not too bad as i only jog/run at 7.5 km and she can keep up with me although she will tell she can run faster than me.

But it is funny when she tries to out run Hubby as he goes about 12km and she cant keep up and she looks like a hamster on one of those wheels.

strange thing is I've not seen her recently at the gym- even though she annoying i hope she has not injured herself.
  • aimeefoot86
    Options
    There's a woman who quite often comes in to the gym when I'm there in the evening, she always choses the cross trainer next to me. The problem is, she always brings her sheet music with her, she doesn't sing, she just squeaks and grunts the notes as she's working out. It's so hard to keep a straight face!
  • psm450
    psm450 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My wife singing metallica on the treadmill, not knowing she is singing out loud, and the guy next to her playing air guitar
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    At my old gym, I remember this one lady who would sign up for a treadmill for double the allowed time (40 min instead of the 20 max), she would hike up the incline as high as it would go, set the pace to about 4 mph and then walk upright, hanging on to the monitor/frame like a monkey hiking (using a fraction of the energy the treadmill calculated for calories).

you needed to sign up for a treadmill
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The treadmills at the gym I use are lined up along a mirrored wall so when you are running you can watch yourself.

When running a few days ago there were 2 scrawny lads (could not have been older than 15) there. As they were leaving one of them caught site of themselves in the mirror (just behind my treadmill) and started flexing, like in a 'i'm not trying to be comical' kind of way.. the other lad then proceeded to get his phone from his pocket to take mirror pictures of them posing RIGHT BY MY MACHINE.

I am pretty sure my face AND BUTT in those pictures was not a pretty site.
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My wife singing metallica on the treadmill, not knowing she is singing out loud, and the guy next to her playing air guitar

This just made my LIFE!
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Someone attempting tricep pushdowns, he basically jumps and uses his whole bodyweight to get it down then very slowly controls it up while shaking using every muscle possible except his triceps...quite amusing to watch!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    At my old gym, I remember this one lady who would sign up for a treadmill for double the allowed time (40 min instead of the 20 max), she would hike up the incline as high as it would go, set the pace to about 4 mph and then walk upright, hanging on to the monitor/frame like a monkey hiking (using a fraction of the energy the treadmill calculated for calories).

you needed to sign up for a treadmill

It had a 20min max?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Someone attempting tricep pushdowns, he basically jumps and uses his whole bodyweight to get it down then very slowly controls it up while shaking using every muscle possible except his triceps...quite amusing to watch!

There is a guy where I go that does this on EVERY lift he does.

Every machine, as much weight as possible, use as much body weight/momentum possible to move it, range of motion is roughly 3 inches, as fast as possible.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    This thread is quite entertaining.

I haven't really seen anything weird except Wednesday. I just started NROL4W on Monday (for really the first time - I've done a few small things with like 10lbs barbie weights, but nothing serious until now), and during my Wednesday session, while I was lifting, this guy on one of the treadmills kept making weird faces. It was very difficult to tell if they were directed at me or if that's just how his face was :laugh: because he kept watching me in the mirror.

I was just thinking, "Ya know. This is the first time I've done deadlifts (65lbs), and I've never done more than 10-15lbs (total) for shoulder press or lat pulldown, but I'm now doing 30lbs (15 ea.) for shoulder press and 40 for lat pulldown so I think I'm doing pretty well. So you need to: tumblr_mgfnhsmoha1ql5ylko1_500.gif"
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I swim every morning and occasionally there is a woman that comes in and does her calisthenics on the pool deck. I'm talking full on crunches, runs in place with her tennis racquet in hand and jumping jacks. She also does her crunches with a pool noodle wrapped around her neck. My favorite thing she does is when she throws pool toys into the open swim area, jumps in and retrieves them with her mouth. I know, she already sounds a little off. She's become know as "Schitzy" at the pool. She has a tendency to snap for no reason. A perfect example is my first encounter with her ever. This pool has a community shower with multiple shower heads, and no privacy. You get used to that. One day I was finishing my shower and I noticed a woman standing just outside the shower with a bag containing a tennis racquet. Already I'm thinking this is weird. So, I say to her that she didn't need to wait for me to finish since there were 7 other available shower heads. Her response, "DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!" You got it. Now I don't talk to her ever. I just watch because she's often entertaining.

There are also multiple people that are referred to as "Splashers" because for some reason they just make a ton of wake. So much wake that a typical pool session feels like you're swimming in open water. Multiple people that can't swim their laps in straight lines, which causes everyone else to swim in zig-zags to avoid collisions. I love to watch the guy that looks like Albert Einstein in a speedo because he gives new meaning to "dead float." And then there's the guy that does this stroke that looks more like a child crawling across a floor. I've never seen someone do the front call with their legs out to the side and using their knees instead of the traditional flutter kick.

I'm kind of a pool snob, though. I believe that, just like everything else, there is a certain etiquette to follow. When you're swimming, it is borderline inappropriate to just jump into someones lane, especially if you aren't swimming laps. While all of those people can be fun to watch, it is not ok to jump into someone's lane and float. I think that should give the lap swimmer, who is in the designated lap swim area the right to dunk that idiot and hold their head under the water... or use them as a surf board.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    There was a young girl at the gym maybe 20, 21. She had on extremely tight and see thru yoga pants and a very light material shirt, I think that a Kleenex would have been heavier. She starts running on the treadmill for about 2 minutes and decides to take off her shirt and run with just her skimpy bra on. The whole time she is running, she is looking back to see if anyone is looking at her. She pauses the machine, walks to the back of the room to fill her water bottle that she took 1 sip out of. Then she proceeds back to the machine JUST to make sure that everyone saw her.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    There is another guy that wears the oversized tank tops with the sides cut out. He will lift weights, them look in the mirror. If his nipples are not out, he will twist them and say oh ya, daddy's lookin good. He is about 22. Weirdo!!

Sooooo weird, and hilarious!!!!:laugh: