What do you do when...

Options

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I just say "Yes, the weight loss plan I follow allows me to eat anything I like as long as it fits into my calorie goals. I don't do deprivation well." If they continue then it's easy to go into a long winded rant about starving yourself and sustainability of *insert whatever you fancy here*. Eventually they just shut up if you bore them enough. If I were more rude, I'd probably start commenting on THEIR meal instead.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Since I don't tell anyone I am on a diet no-one ever comments on what I am eating. One person at a picnic asked if I was losing weight and how I was doing it. When we got to the food line she asked what I could eat and I said anything I want, if I eat more calories now I will have a salad for dinner, She looked surprised and smiled and said she never thought of that and she would do the same. It had been years since she had a cheese burger at a picnic lunch.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    What do you do when people put their two cents in about what you are eating? Like, "are you supposed to be eating that?" or "I thought you were on a diet?". This is a huge pet peeve of mine! I never really know what to say without sounding rude. Usually my response is just "yes". If they push it further I say, "clearly I didn't need your help to lose 53 lbs, so when I need your advice I will be sure to ask".

7396232.png

What you say is what I would say.... followed by "my business, not yours. Butt out"
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have never claimed to be "dieting". When people notice I am losing weight, I admit to eating "healthier" and "more mindfully". I am not "on a diet". "Diets" aren't sustainable. What I'm doing is.
  • BeyondApril
    BeyondApril Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Keep it short and simple. "Are you supposed to be eating that?" "Yes."

"I thought you were on a diet?" "I don't believe in dieting."

Should they persist, ask them a question back, "What are you trying to really say to me?" Usually stops them in their tracks, because really, what ARE they really asking, and why do they feel the need to ask it?

My mother does not ask if you should be eating this or that, but at a family get together, if she is the one dishing out the ravioli, and she thinks you "should not" be eating it , or she "thought you were on a diet" she will literally give you 3 ravioli only. But everyone else will get 6 or 7 lol!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I actually had that said to me this weekend when I mentioned I was going to get an icecream...."isn't that fattening?"..."sure is" was my reply...smiled and went and got a blizzard with peanut butter cups (small) and ate it all and never felt a bit of guilt...

but the fact I am smaller now probably bugs them more then they want to believe and hate the fact I am loosing weight and still eating ice cream...my own sweet revenge.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I got this a lot from my mother and husband when i first started. Just kept saying "I'm not on a diet" and eventually they stopped. My husband still asks about certain foods now and then (you shouldn't eat peanut butter, it's bad for you....oh really?! :huh: ) depending on my mood I either just shake my head at him or try to explain the situation. Like most people he's totally clueless about what healthy eating really means.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mk15a1upat1roqmfro1_500.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just tell them you're bulking.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I shove the food in my mouth and then groan estactically.
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i doubly get this alot because i'm type 1 diabetic AND losing weight. so people automatically think i can't have desserts or carbs EVER. i've been getting this for 13 years since i was diagnosed and i have alot of anger about it. it especially happens alot at work. i'm a nurse and every other nurse thinks they know what i should be eating. but they obviously dont since they keep asking me if i can have chocolate or whatever. i'm controlling my blood sugars, so what's it to them??
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just say "Yes, the weight loss plan I follow allows me to eat anything I like as long as it fits into my calorie goals. I don't do deprivation well." If they continue then it's easy to go into a long winded rant about starving yourself and sustainability of *insert whatever you fancy here*. Eventually they just shut up if you bore them enough. If I were more rude, I'd probably start commenting on THEIR meal instead.

This exactly! And I've dealt with it for a long time... as well as the opposite side, the food pushers who are always telling you that "just one won't hurt anything" when you say "no thank you" to cookies or donuts or whatever is in the break room that day.
  • fakeuntilumakeit
    Options
    Had " the look" (raised eyebrow) this weekend when I treated myself to ice-cream with blueberry pie ( I've worked bloody hard this week with exercise and calorie control), just said "great isn't it ...and I'm still loosing the pounds each week", as she helped herself to what was perceived as a naughty second helping of one cucumber slice.!:smile:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I tell them to "suck it". Then I laugh, like I was only kidding, but I wasn't kidding at all.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I always just say "I'm not on a diet" and keep right on enjoying every bite!
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I generally stare blankly. When people start talking about what I'm doing or eating, their voices magically transform into the adults from Peanuts, "wah wah wah wah".
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I just stare blankly at them for a little while and using my best "The Dude" (Big Lebowski) impersonation I say "I'm sorry, I wasn't listening" :-) Of course that's pretty much how I handle any comments I don't care to discuss.
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I say "Absolutely I need it! Otherwise I will turn into a raging hormonal she-beast the likes of which you have never seen. YOU need me to eat this for your own protection."

*chomp chomp chomp*
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I say "Absolutely I need it! Otherwise I will turn into a raging hormonal she-beast the likes of which you have never seen. YOU need me to eat this for your own protection."

*chomp chomp chomp*

There is more truth to this than you can even imagine lmao :smile:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    What do you do when people put their two cents in about what you are eating? Like, "are you supposed to be eating that?" or "I thought you were on a diet?". This is a huge pet peeve of mine! I never really know what to say without sounding rude. Usually my response is just "yes". If they push it further I say, "clearly I didn't need your help to lose 53 lbs, so when I need your advice I will be sure to ask".

7396232.png

They are annoying and that is putting it mildly.

I remember sitting in my restroom at work, going to the sandwich machine and getting myself a tuna sandwich. One person then said "I thought you were supposed to be on a diet" to which I replied "yes, but I still need to eat - something!"