Bob Harper's "Jumpstart to Skinny"...anyone tried it?

Options

Replies

• bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    agree with you on this so much i posted awhile back stating the same thing
    i was so disappointed In BOB as i all ways thought he was all about losing weight the healthy way not a fast unhealthy way and yes i now its only 3 weeks but by even doing that for 3 weeks reeks havoc on your bodies and a lot of people dont get that and they also think because he is a celebrity trainer they think he ALWAY right

I've lost a fair bit of weight and I never, ever had to eat below 1600 calories/day to lose weight. I can't imagine living on 800 calories a day! What a miserable existence that would be. I'm certain that if I went back to eating at a more suitable deficit in order to continue to lose weight, I'd end up gaining and would freak out. I see this happen a lot with women on here who consistently net very low calories.

Do what you want--it's your body. But very low calorie diets aren't at all healthy or "nutritious", no matter what some celebrity trainer says. There is no way you can fit enough nutrients into 800 calories/day to remain healthy.
    [/quote]
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    hmm idk but i do know that christine only eats veggies all day..and like no meat. you should also eat every 2 hours. cutting dairy and carbs is good for you too to lose weight..
    Why should you eat every 2hours ? This statement has me intrigued.what are the benefits of this over say 1 or 2 meals per day.
  • bevmcarthur
    Options
    hmm idk but i do know that christine only eats veggies all day..and like no meat. you should also eat every 2 hours. cutting dairy and carbs is good for you too to lose weight..
    Why should you eat every 2hours ? This statement has me intrigued.what are the benefits of this over say 1 or 2 meals per day.
    One of the benefits of eating every two hours is that you'll keep your metabolism running constantly.Eating every two hours will also allow you to keep your blood sugar levels steady. Eating too much at one meal can cause blood sugar levels to rise, which can promote fat storage. Eating smaller meals prevents this from happening and keeps you satisfied yet not completely full.The types of foods you eat every two hours should be nutrient-dense foods like vegetables and fruits are high in vitamins and minerals while relatively low in calories.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/489586-eat-every-two-hours-diet/#ixzz2Tl1jccGd
  • Cese27
    Options
    Lol,total BS.the notion that eating every 2 hours in some way stokes the fires to burn more is fiction,1meal or 20 makes no difference whatsoever,the less said about livestrong the better
  • bevmcarthur
    Options
    Cese you asks i posted if you don't care to know the fact then why ask on a board
  • Cese27
    Options
    I don't see how posting information that is dated and proven to be incorrect helps anyone,that's just my point of view.sorry if I have come across a been rude it just annoys me when statements like those you made are made
  • bevmcarthur
    Options
    ok i will reword this then
    eating ever few hours for me has helped me to lose weight and to keep it off it may not work for all but it works for me . And ho is right and who is wrong with things like this some will believe it is what is best and some will not
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    I did my shopping for week 1 yesterday and spent $196 plus $14 at a health food store.

WHOA! For *one* week's worth of food??!!
  • Cese27
    Options
    I have no problem whatsoever with that statement and congrats on you're results
  • memork
    memork Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second day. I really didn't feel good for the first day, and this morning. But then sometime around 1:00 today I just felt...fabulous. Bouncy...energetic...something along those lines.

I will say the hardest thing for me is the time commitment for cooking the food. My fiance and I are both high school music teachers...we don't have a whole lot of time on our hands, but the weekend prep really made the difference.

Also.. thanks to this book...I realized I actually like celery! I've been going my whole life saying I hated it :) (Chicken and Celery Salad is now my favorite)
  • georgia121
    Options
    Does anyone have a spreadsheet of the meals and shopping list? I find it so hard to coordinate this the way he has done it in the book. Help please anyone!!!! You can email me at georgia121@hotmail.com
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Despite whether this is a good book for healthy weight loss or not, I hate any claim that says you can lose up to 20 lbs in 3 weeks or any other number.

Sure, you might lose that much raw weight but how much of it is fat loss? It gives people unreal expectations, is not conducive to long-term practices and is just a selling gimmick. Who cares if you lose that much weight in that amount of time if it's not FAT?
  • gramcarosa
    Options
    Day 18 of the "Jumpstart to Skinny" rules. Down 10 pounds and haven't felt this good in years. I get hungry but it's not the kind of hungry i use to experience where if I didn't eat something I would be sick. This is just I'm hungry and going to eat something healthy and feel great about it afterwards. It feels like I'm getting alot more than 800 calories because I'm not hungry very often.

I especially like it because I'm eating clean and no processed foods.

I would recommend this diet plan to anyone who wants to feel better and not just lose weight. Losing weight is the bonus for me. I plan to continue with this plan until I loose all the weight I want and keep working at getting healthier.

I'm changing the way I eat for long term and training myself to correct portion control. This is life changing not a short term diet. After 21 days it will just be habit and I will keep eating this way for life.
  • ktriplett7
    ktriplett7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am on this diet too, day 19 and 11 pounds down. You are eating more than 800 calories because certain fruits and veggies don't count towards calories. Love it.
  • DotMom
    DotMom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @georgia121: It's not that hard to create a shopping list for yourself if you have the book ... just go through the meal plans and write down the ingredient and the quantity. If you put that in a spreadsheet, you can easily adjust the quantities and increase your daily calorie intake if you choose to.

I'm considering this plan to get back on track after an injury. I've read the book, and it sounds very reasonable -- the main reservations for me are: a) the time commitment (I have a family to feed who does not need to lose weight + we always have some sort of social event going on) and b) still a little concerned about messing up my metabolism despite cited studies to the contrary (this could be addressed by increasing the base calorie goal to 1200 calories/day + unlimited veggies as indicated -- it would just potentially slow down weight loss).

Anyone who has not read the book shouldn't assume that it's a crazypants plan. Cardio and conditioning exercises are all part of it. He doesn't want you to starve, and you *are* building muscle along the way. That should make it easier to continue burning fat when you're done and moving into a more sustainable daily calorie goal.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    To lose 20 pounds of fat in 3 weeks would require a daily deficit of more than 3300 calories. Most of the weight lost on this "Jumpstart to Skinny" has to be water.

Bogus.
  • balsert713
    balsert713 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the jumpstart to skinny plan, but did pick up his skinny rules book because it seemed to be geared towards more long term weight loss and maintenance. I enjoyed reading it, and at times felt some of his statements were superficial and vane, but the rules are something to live by -- mostly common sense, some surprising. I haven't made it through all the rules, but I think there's recipes and some sort of meal planning towards the back. Usually, the foods in these meal plans, even some of the weight watcher's meals, are too wayyyy out of the ordinary for me to try. And contain an endless assortment of spices, or amounts so small I can't justify purchasing them, because they don't come packaged small enough. I hate wasting food of any sort on a budget! I also hate dividing meals into "what I eat" and "what everyone else eats". Too frustrating and time consuming! So I try to balance the main dish with two or three side dishes, so everyone can eat something they like... hard to do with "diet" meal plans.
  • Heffer69
    Options
    I completed Jumpstart to Skinny and was very happy with results! I'm 5 7' and weighed about 129 pounds. I didn't take measurements. I wanted to lose a few pounds before a beach vacation. For months, I started over every Sunday, determined to lose a few vanity pounds, but didn't get any resuts. I followed the diet program as written and used Bob's recipes. Due to back issues, I did not follow his workout. I did walk for about 1 1/2 hrs per day. About 30-40 minutes in the morning before breakfast and the rest later on in the day. This plan was a good learning experience for me! Even though I consider myself to be pretty educated in terms of nutrition, I learned a great deal about eating clean - consistently. Like most people, I snack a lot when I'm not hungry. Being on this program made me realize that this has been my downfall all along. In total, I lost 5 lbs and would definately recommend this to others looking to quickly drop a few pounds. I
  • azollo121
    Options
    Wow so many negative comments about Bob. I watch him on Biggest Loser and he clearly cares about changing peoples lives and their relationship with food. This book is geared toward someone looking to quickly lose weight FOR AN EVENT, its not a lifestyle change.

I'm not a diet expert, but I did it and can tell you it was difficult, but I felt really good while doing it and I had a ton of energy.

Breakdown:
    1 - You are limited to carbs in the morning (definitely drink the recommended about of water to help ease the extra strain on your kidneys caused by the reduction of carbs)
    2 - You are limited to lean proteins about 4-5 oz per meal
    3 - You can eat all the veggies you want and fruit (just go easier on the fruit because of the sugar)
    4 - Cut all added sodium
    5 - Be prepared to eat more salad and vegetables than ever before - if you don't like one of the recommended veggies, Bob says replace it with what you do like
    6 - Be prepared to spend a little time on Sunday prepping all your veggies for the week, trust me it makes it SO much easier during the week
    7 - A good portion of the recipes are actually quite good - I found the ones I liked and repeated them a few times if I didn't like other ones.

A few of the hardest things:
    1 - Getting used to tasting food for the actual taste of the food rather than adding salt, but the plus side of that was I learned to use spices to add flavor!
    2 - Don't start it if you have travel plans as it will be very difficult to stick too on the road
    3 - I felt hungry about an hour after I ate, I snacked on veggies but unfortunately I don't get filled up from veggies.

Overall success:
    The first week I lost 4 lbs, by the end of week two I was down a total of 10 lbs...I'm on the first day of week three so I'll update with my end results.
  • goldencat01
    goldencat01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not going to get into why I am doing it or if it's maintainable or if it's healthy. I'm on day 5 and I'm down 5 lbs. I do not find it all that bad, and am pleased so far :) to each his own, this is a support site.... Some people should keep that in mind lol.