Why aren't you sweating?

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
Am I the only person who sweats like a pig while working out....I mean dripping. It's nasty. I look around the gym and see many people who don't sweat at all.

Are they just not working hard enough? Blessed with an anti sweat gene? I don't get it.

My theory is that if you're not sweating your'e doing something wrong.

Replies

• 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    well dont worry im with ya.. i always look like i just walked out of the shower with all my clothes on!
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I never sweat. I GLISTEN! :wink:
  • MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I too am a sweater. I also used to think that people that didn't sweat weren't working hard enough but I'm reliably informed that this isn't the case and some people just sweat more than others. Part of me wants to be one of those people, that leaves the gym looking the same as when they left, but part of me is happy leaving covered in sweat - it makes me feel like I've achieved something. :drinker:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am a sweater (haha). My husband jokes that I sweat if I think too hard. For me, sweating isn't an indication of a hard workout.

Some people just don't sweat as much. I envy those people but I have also accepted that I cant change it. I've done races where the winners barely break a sweat and they are working much harder than I am. There are women in my crossfit class who kick my *kitten* and go back to work after lunch, I am thoroughly soaked.
  • gypy
    gypy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I very rarely sweat, I get a little glisten, but that's it. I'm pretty sure I train right! ;-)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I was running at the gym one time and it was downpouring out. I walked by the desk and they thought I had just come in from outside. Nope.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm too delicate to sweat.

Or. really, I just don't get soaked lifting weights. I certainly sweat like a pig in the comfort of my own home tho, where I'm allowed to wear as little as I please. That Jillian, she busts my butt.
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Usually only the top of my body sweats and that would be after working out hard. Since I joined a new gym and am doing more strenuous exercise I see that even my legs sweat! It's gross but I too feel like it is a badge of honor. To me it screams I really worked out hard today!
  • andiroot
    andiroot Posts: 43
    Options
    I suffer from Anhidrosis, the inability to sweat normally. It sucks. I feel like I am judged for not working hard enough, one PT at my gym always makes comments about "how can you already be tired & done, you're not sweating yet" but I promise I work hard. I cant sweat therefore I cant cool myself down so I appear extra weak, super fun. hahaha

I wish I could get all "glistening"
  • turtledrummer23
    Options
    A lot of it is person to person, I can lift with a buddy and not be sweating and he can be drenched, but he sweats sitting still in the winter when the house is at a balmy 50 degrees, a lot also depends on the type of workout. When I do insanity, I'm soaked. I will literally sweat enough to soak through my compression shorts and my outer athletic shorts. If I run, after awhile I will be soaked in sweat provided it's hot enough out, but when I'm lifting because I stick to 6-8 reps per set, with a full 2 minutes of rest between sets so that I know I'm firing as close to 100% every time, I barely sweat at all. Does this mean I'm working any less hard when I'm lifting as opposed to doing insanity or running, no but it is different types of effort/work. It really depends on who you are, what you're doing and I would guess how high your heart rate is and for how long.
  • NatashaB8
    NatashaB8 Posts: 202
    Options
    I don't sweat the same as others. I go very red and damp but thats as far as it goes. My boyfriend, on the other hand, sweats insanely even after a brisk walk. He used to think I wasn't working hard enough but I was!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i simply dont sweat a lot, my husband and i can go on a 7 mile ride, and he will be wet and sweaty, and i will not have broken one yet..

i wonder if fat ratio has something to do with it ?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    How much a person sweats isn't really indicative of how hard they are working out. I do sweat a lot when I exercise but sometimes it's really hot in the gym and that makes me sweat even more.

There ARE people out there who just don't sweat.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I very rarely sweat, I get a little glisten, but that's it. I'm pretty sure I train right! ;-)

Booo....I was hoping maybe these people just weren't working hard enough-made me feel better about the torrential downpour on my face. LoL oh well.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    How much a person sweats isn't really indicative of how hard they are working out. I do sweat a lot when I exercise but sometimes it's really hot in the gym and that makes me sweat even more.

LoL...rats. Wish I was one of them. It's embarrassing...and I'm sure I smell just like a bed of roses.

It also gets frustrating to have to buy new workout clothes as often as I do.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I sweat like crazy too! I recently invested in a sweat head band to keep it out of my eyes doing cardio. At least you know you're doing it right,
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

LoL...rats. Wish I was one of them. It's embarrassing...and I'm sure I smell just like a bed of roses.

It also gets frustrating to have to buy new workout clothes as often as I do.

It took me time to get over it.

As for workout clothes - I always go with solid black bottoms. I don't mind the sweat marks on top but don't like the wet pants look (sucks because I love the fun colored lulu lemon bottoms). I always hang my clothes to dry if I can't wash them right away. I used to throw them in the laundry wet but then they get a smell you can't get rid of.
    I also add 1/4 cup of vinegar to the wash with laundry detergent. It's supposed to help.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I only sweat on my head! It's so weird. During a run sweat will be pouring down my face and my hair will be soaked but I am dry everywhere else. I have no idea what my issue is haha.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I sweat like crazy too! I recently invested in a sweat head band to keep it out of my eyes doing cardio. At least you know you're doing it right,

I think I might have to do this. I hate it when I get sweat in my eyes but I don't want to look like an '80's throw back LOL.
  • tealskater
    tealskater Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was once told by one of the instructors at the gym that people who don't sweat much during a vigorous workout are generally dehydrated! Not sure I really buy into that though, as I don't sweat much and will generally drink 2 - 3 litres of water during the day.