When do you exercise?

Options
As the above really. I "dont have time" which I know is an excuse that we all use, so rather than waiting for a free slot I am trying to identify free time and schedule it in so it happens.

Currently I get up in the morning and get myself, husband and a 2 year old off to work and out the house by 8.30. I did try doing a 20-30 minute dvd in the mornings but it was a nightmare as 2 year old kept wanting to get on board and then it was a mad rush to get us all ready. I had the tv on to keep him out my way whilst I did it on the laptop but then youtube kept crashing, I am thinking of trying this again by putting kids tv on the laptop and using the tv for me!!

I do my run on the way home from work, its about 1 mile so I run that distance and then try and go extra if I dont have anything to get home quickly for, I'd then get home between 5.30-6. This week I have clients booked in each night at 6.30-8.30/9pm and I will then have my dinner if I havent had time beforehand. I guess my problem is making myself exercise and do a dvd (jillian michaels) after 9pm when I also have other stuff to do like accounts, house work and life admin! As I just want to sit down and eat!

When works best for you? I am after tips, and also motivation tips if your best time is in the evening?

I am trying to recognise that this is hard, but not impossible and wondered how other people tackled it.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, before anyone gets up... especially if those people, once up, get in my way.

On lunch breaks.

After my kids go to bed.

While my kids are at practice, at their friend's house, etc.

Being a single father has made me MUCH better with my time management.
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The morning never seems to workout for me unless its on the weekend. Last night I worked out from 10pm to 11pm and it worked out great.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    We leave the house around 7-7:15 every morning. My husband goes to the gym for its 5:00am opening, then comes home for us to all leave together.. We have two kids, 12 & 4. I get up at 4:30 and work out while they're sleeping. Every once in awhile the 4 year old gets up, but she's learned, mostly, to leave mommy alone, and a TV show usually occupies her.

If your husband is home in the morning can he not keep your child occupied and out of your way for 30 minutes? Honestly, for me, working out while they're sleeping is what works best for me. I know I'll never do it if I put it off until after, at least not every day. I have gone to evening classes, and I run on Saturdays outside since my husband is home. Really, if you can't work out while your child is asleep or find a way to occupy him/her, then you should try to get your husband on board with helping out.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I can't schedule it because I have a hectic schedule and some medical issues that can sometimes make exercise impossible so for me I have taken the, I have time right now and am physically able so I just do it approach, whether it is a twenty minute run, an hour at the gym, a work out video at home, or some situps and push ups.

I try to do 3-6 days a week, I find since I have stopped trying to " schedule" it and now I just do it I do it a lot more and miss it when I just don't have the time/ energy. I don't feel guilty if I don't do it I truly miss it :happy:
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I find the best times to workout are the mornings or evenings when the baby's in bed. Sometimes I get a workout in at lunch times too because the little one takes a while eating. Evenings are probably the best time for me though as I can take as long as I like.
  • tmarstam
    tmarstam Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I been doing my squats at work, sit ups before dinner and then a walk or run after my dinner settles. I find that this really breaks it up too and doesn't make it seem like such a chore. I think there must be something wrong with me, because I want to start going to the gym, but I have a gym phobia... I hate the idea of working out and sweating in a fishbowl! Is there anyway I might be able to overcome this?
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm very much a morning exerciser. I wake up at 5:20, exercise for an hour, make my breakfast/lunch, hop in the shower, and head to work. It's much cooler in the morning, and I get to go home and not worry about exercising, so I can spend time with my wife/friends. However, sometimes I do go for afternoon runs, which I do love. It's a great way to release stress, in my opinion.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get dressed in the morning. So anywhere between 10am & 12pm I guess. Depends on the day. Earliest has been 6am...I don't do mornings well cause of my back & wont ever do that again. Latest has been 11pm. I have the luxury of working out whenever I want to. I can't work, all I can do is exercise.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    More or less first thing in the morning. I love kicking my day off with a run.
  • gbozward
    gbozward Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Morning, before work I run... although I cycle commute too so back and forward for 40 minutes as well...
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    My best work is always done in the morning after stretching and before my back starts to compress too much. Fortunately I'm a morning person and love being out there before the rest of the world awakes!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I get to the gym for 5:30 am. We actually just got back into doing morning workouts. If we don't then stuff comes up during the day and it's easier to skip. There's no excuse when the alarm goes off at 4:45.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    It depends on the day. If I can get a run in after I wake up, I'll get 'er done. Most of the time, my workouts are at night, though. Love a good late night run!
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm at the gym by 4:30am!! :drinker:
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Mostly in the morning. Sometimes my day gets away from me and it's hard to schedule a workout. The morning seems to be the only time I can "control". Plus this time of year with it getting hot and storms popping up it's just a better time to do outside cardo.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was little, my exercise time was often creative. You don't have to do a DVD or plan a full run to get in a workout.

I read a cool article that said you can get in a workout in 4 minutes. Go full out for one minute and then stop do nothing for 30 seconds, basically doing this for a total of 4 minutes or so. I haven't tried it though.

My tricks when my daughter was tiny were as follows:

Use kid as a weight, leg press, bench press, etc
    Squats or calf raises while cooking or doing dishes
    chase my little girl around the house
    take the kid out for a walk
    chase kid around on playground
    squats while pushing swing

Older child:

Jump rope with them
    challenge them to a hula hoop contest
    walk places with them rather than drive (my daughter would ask to walk everywhere and didn't even get tired at Disney)

Also it has been proven that 10 minutes three times a day is as effective or better than 30 straight minutes. And something even 5 minutes is better than nothing
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning. I get up earlier than everyone and have some quality me time. I find I am more energetic through my day. If I wait til after work, something always comes up. I work 6 days a week 60 plus hours. At first it was difficult getting up earlier, just to work out, now it is part of my life. You just have to make it a priority. No excuses.
  • donnasue70
    donnasue70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    VERY early morning! Normally my mornings begin at 5:15 but I have been setting the alarm to get up at 4:20 BEORE anyone else, (including the dog), gets up. I feel energized and am guaranteed to eat a lighter, healthier breakfast after my workout. Just makes me WANT to have a better day being up early!
  • MySignaturecolour
    MySignaturecolour Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was strickly a morning person before work and I still have boot camp 2 mornings a week at from 5:30-6:30 and I finally found a Zumba class I love but it's 7-8pm 2 nights a week. I hate evening exercise but I love the class so I go and then I work out Saturday mornings.

If it wasn't summer in Texas I would ride my bike more but it's kinda of parked until fall.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I finally decided I would never 'find' time so I had to 'make' time. I get up an hour earlier than I used to (I now get up at 4 am) and I go to the gym before I go to work. I take my clothes and stuff with me, shower and get ready there. I've found since I started doing that I'm much more consistent and I tend to make time after work for some activity most days as well.