OK guys... what's the best greek yogurt?

Options
I've gotten into making my own granola regularly and putting fresh fruit in my yogurt. I've always been afraid to try greek yogurt because I've been told it's very sour. With all the granola and fruit added in, I think I'm ready to give it a try. I've read that my fat free yoplait light is not the best for me so I'm going to try going greek.

So.... what is your favorite brand/flavor? Looking for something with low sugar/ no artificial sweetener. Or just tell me what you like lol. To make it into an even bigger deal than I am already.... leave any advice or expectations I should have before trying.

Replies

• Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think I liked Dannon. I never bought it again though. I sweetened it with splenda but after a while I was sick of the taste.
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    Love them all... but to me...Fage has the best texture.
  • aml17
    aml17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've only tried fage and chobani and will only eat chobani now
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I like any flavor of the 80 calorie dannon light & fit greek! ( I am partial to the vanilla though...I love vanilla anything and you can add berries or whatever you like to it to change it up):happy: Yummy and creamy..not a strange texture like I hear some people talk about with some brands.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Plain greek can take some getting used to, but now I love it. Fage is my favorite brand, but I usually buy Trader Joe's because it's cheaper. I buy the fat free for no reason other than the reduced calories allows me to eat other crap instead :)

You're going to notice a huge difference in sweetness if you go straight from the yoplait to Greek, so you might want to start by adding some honey or sugar into it and then gradually reducing the added sweetener.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I like any flavor of the 80 calorie dannon light & fit greek! ( I am partial to the vanilla though...I love vanilla anything and you can add berries or whatever you like to it to change it up):happy: Yummy and creamy..not a strange texture like I hear some people talk about with some brands.

Yes the light and fit is what I got- it was decent.

I got the plain in bulk from Sam's Club and with splenda it was tolerable. But I can't eat yogurt without granola and I don't want those added calories so I gave up on the yogurt. Just frozen yogurt for me now lol. New thread idea!
  • pajouey79
    pajouey79 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the Dannon Light and Fit vanilla yogurt and topping it with strawberries. It only has 7 sugars and 80 calories. i think it is smoother than other greek yogurts. I like the vanilla flavor since I am not a fan of the plain yogurt taste. i think it may have artifical sweetners though. Today, i just did plain greek yogurt with the strawberries and i had to add some splenda (but at least it was the one with added fiber. :smile: )
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Chobani is the only one I eat.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I usually find fage for the cheapest. Honestly, they all taste the same too me. A nice creamy texture low in fat and high in protein.
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    I like Fage, my husband likes Chobani.

Not sure if Siggi's Skyr is considered greek yogurt, but if it is, id have to say that would my top choice over Fage.
  • thedman
    thedman Posts: 18
    Options
    Chobani - Blueberry is the best!!
  • disgruntledone
    disgruntledone Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I listened to a Americas Test kitchen radio show and they tested 3 different kinds. Yoplait was the absolute worst! Fage was the best.
  • Kimakazie
    Kimakazie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE the yoplait greek yogurt, but unfortunately just learned that there is fake greek yogurt and real greek yogurt! (There are even lawsuits going on about it now!) Apparently yoplait greek is fake. :( If you look at the ingrediants and there is corn starch anywhere listed, then it's fake. I bought Chobani the other day to try out but haven't tasted it yet. Just make sure you read the labels!
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I have found Chiobani plain Greek to have the highest protien content, so that is what I eat. I cook with it plain, but if I am eating it I add either fresh fruit & a stevia packet & lately I have been adding my favorite NO CALORIE drink enhancers. My 3 favorites right now are Strawberry-Kiwi, Pineapple-Coconut & Cherry-Pomegranite! :happy:
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    fnqm52.jpg

2sb4vp5.gif
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Only Fage and chobani are true strained greek yogurts. Other brands like dannon oikos, Cabot, and Stonyfield are thickened with added ingredients. I heard this on a segment of All Things Considered on NPR

(see the modified cornstarch in the above example)
  • pam3b
    pam3b Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've tried Chobani and Fage, the one I like the most is Fage 0% fat so creamy and low fat
  • jerzeygirl56
    Options
    try fage - get it at costco for $5. high in protein good before you go to gym or even good for breakfast. If too sour try 1/2 packet of splenda. Enjoy!
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    I LOVE Greek yogurt. I don't think of it as sour, just different. One thing I've found interesting is the flavors I like in regular yogurt I don't like in Greek yogurt.

My favorites are Fage plain with honey and the new Chobani flip key lime - YUM!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I like Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt. About half the calories of your typical Greek Yogurt and only a few grams less in protein. The flavors that I've had have all been 80 calories with 12 grams of protein.