Eating Clean?

Options

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    "Eating Clean" is another form of Orthorexia, where people banish either individual food items or entire food groups based on information that is either of questionable provenance or fits what they last heard on Oprah or Dr. Oz.

My definition of eating clean is to wash all of my fruits and veggies, even the ones that say that they are pre-washed, very thoroughly in water with a bit of either vinegar or bleach (which dissociates in water to sodium and chlorine and has a very short dwell time) like a teaspoon in a gallon of water.

Keep my meat and fish at <40 F until I'm ready to cook them. Don't keep fresh meat in the fridge more than 48 hours before using or freezing.

Keep my pots and pans, prep surfaces, serving dishes and utensils scrubbed. Don't use the same spoon for sampling while cooking - use a clean one.

Whatever you choose to eat, just watch the calories and eat adequate protein.

Are you aware that the world has 7 billion inhabitants and most likely more than six billion have never heard of Dr. Oz or Oprah and still eat clean, meaning that they eat the healthiest food possible ? Just because so many here are uninformed or too arrogant and come up with stupid definitions of " eating clean " does not mean they are funny and intelligent. Are you not aware that this does not help a newcomer who is looking for honest advise and support ?
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279
    Options
    "Eating Clean" is another form of Orthorexia, where people banish either individual food items or entire food groups based on information that is either of questionable provenance or fits what they last heard on Oprah or Dr. Oz.

My definition of eating clean is to wash all of my fruits and veggies, even the ones that say that they are pre-washed, very thoroughly in water with a bit of either vinegar or bleach (which dissociates in water to sodium and chlorine and has a very short dwell time) like a teaspoon in a gallon of water.

Keep my meat and fish at <40 F until I'm ready to cook them. Don't keep fresh meat in the fridge more than 48 hours before using or freezing.

Keep my pots and pans, prep surfaces, serving dishes and utensils scrubbed. Don't use the same spoon for sampling while cooking - use a clean one.

This is wrong just WRONG. A calorie deficit will allow you to lose weight, if your trying to get a six pack and lean out clean eating is what will lower your body fat percent so that you can see definition. Clean eating is simple, if you can not pronounce the name of an ingredient on a package of food dont eat it.

Scrubbing your food with bleach isnt clean eating :/ its ridiculous.

Ahhh. This is why I come here ...

Lol yeah yeah yeah! I get it!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    omg girl plz learn to spell n just try to eat fresh vegetarian foods n no eggs or processed foods k bye

uhm, why no eggs?? Please. I eat eggs daily....

Yeah, me too! Geez, it totally looks like I'm stalking you, and you're not even on my FL. :bigsmile:
  • Bharsa1
    Bharsa1 Posts: 47
    Options
    It is not as simple as calories in, calories out. If you consume, picka a number that is your deficit, calories a day of pre-packaged fake garbage food (breakfast cereals, ice cream, dessert, almost anything from a fast food restaraunt, etc) compared to that same number of calories of lean protein, vegetables, fruits and real fats (not transfats or hydrogenated BS), you will not only not lose weight, you will probably gain weight and see a decline in your health.

You go ahead and hit the gym and consume nothing, but foul calories and see where you go with your results. Just look in an average gym. There are plenty of people in there busting their *kitten*, but getting nowhere. Because they don't consume enough protein and healthy fats and overconsume a lot of bad carbohydrates.

Clean eating, is eating real food plain and simple. If it can sit on a shelf for months, it's not real. Does this mean we can't eat it, no. Because we do, but it's not clean eating. Pre-packaged, processed, refined food products are not clean eating no matter how you spin it.

The western diet is filled with garbage food and disease and health degeneration follows wherever it goes. Because it's garbage, tasty garbage. But garbage none the less.

That basic rule of staying to the outside of the grocery store or better yet hit up a farmers market and buy your groceries from there.

A few good books on the topic "In Defense of Food" "Good Calorie, Bad Calorie" Give those a read and start your journey to healthier you.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    omg girl plz learn to spell n just try to eat fresh vegetarian foods n no eggs or processed foods k bye

uhm, why no eggs?? Please. I eat eggs daily....

Yeah, me too! Geez, it totally looks like I'm stalking you, and you're not even on my FL. :bigsmile:

hahaha... wait, why not?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    It is not as simple as calories in, calories out. If you consume, picka a number that is your deficit, calories a day of pre-packaged fake garbage food (breakfast cereals, ice cream, dessert, almost anything from a fast food restaraunt, etc) compared to that same number of calories of lean protein, vegetables, fruits and real fats (not transfats or hydrogenated BS), you will not only not lose weight, you will probably gain weight and see a decline in your health.

You go ahead and hit the gym and consume nothing, but foul calories and see where you go with your results. Just look in an average gym. There are plenty of people in there busting their *kitten*, but getting nowhere. Because they don't consume enough protein and healthy fats and overconsume a lot of bad carbohydrates.

Clean eating, is eating real food plain and simple. If it can sit on a shelf for months, it's not real. Does this mean we can't eat it, no. Because we do, but it's not clean eating. Pre-packaged, processed, refined food products are not clean eating no matter how you spin it.

The western diet is filled with garbage food and disease and health degeneration follows wherever it goes. Because it's garbage, tasty garbage. But garbage none the less.

That basic rule of staying to the outside of the grocery store or better yet hit up a farmers market and buy your groceries from there.

A few good books on the topic "In Defense of Food" "Good Calorie, Bad Calorie" Give those a read and start your journey to healthier you.

no. food is not your enemy and there is no such thing as a good calorie or a bad calorie, just a calorie.

eat a cookie, you'll feel better.

choc_chip_ice_cream_sandwich.jpg
  • jamiecrick3582
    jamiecrick3582 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Seriously?? How is not eating processed garbage with words you can't pronounce cutting out a food group? I'm pretty possitive high fructose corn syrup and artificial flavors are not food groups. Nor are all of the chemicals and additives put in processed foods.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've always done well in chemistry. I can pronounce lots of really long ingredients.

I was, however, pronouncing quinoa wrong for years. Still haven't touched the stuff. :laugh:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

More generalized "western" diet bashing for lols. Please keep preaching. It's entertaining.

http://superfitdads.com/why-arent-japanese-people-fat/
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Well you recommended Good calories, bad calories so your there goes your cred.

And also science disagrees with you too, cool story though
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

lol
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I've always done well in chemistry. I can pronounce lots of really long ingredients.

I was, however, pronouncing quinoa wrong for years. Still haven't touched the stuff. :laugh:

I actually really like quinoa. I did not think I was going to like it before trying it.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Are you aware that the world has 7 billion inhabitants and most likely more than six billion have never heard of Dr. Oz or Oprah and still eat clean, meaning that they eat the healthiest food possible ? Just because so many here are uninformed or too arrogant and come up with stupid definitions of " eating clean " does not mean they are funny and intelligent. Are you not aware that this does not help a newcomer who is looking for honest advise and support ?

And how many of the 7 billion have no access to bleach and are therefore unable to eat clean?
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I think people will always argue about "Clean eating" and calories in - calories out.

Clean eating, I think, ensures your body gets all the nutrients your body needs. I think it focuses more on the quality of food eating where as calories is just a mathmatical equation. You will lose weight eating at a deficit but you might not necessary be as healthy as you can be.

Ive got from 175llb to 143llb just concentrating on the equation. Its now become hard for me to lose the final stone and I'm sick of calorie counting.
  • Bharsa1
    Bharsa1 Posts: 47
    Options
    If you say so brother.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you say so brother.

Then substantiate the nonsense such as;

" If you consume, picka a number that is your deficit, calories a day of pre-packaged fake garbage food (breakfast cereals, ice cream, dessert, almost anything from a fast food restaraunt, etc) compared to that same number of calories of lean protein, vegetables, fruits and real fats (not transfats or hydrogenated BS), you will not only not lose weight, you will probably gain weight and see a decline in your health. "

"You go ahead and hit the gym and consume nothing, but foul calories and see where you go with your results. Just look in an average gym. There are plenty of people in there busting their *kitten*, but getting nowhere. Because they don't consume enough protein and healthy fats and overconsume a lot of bad carbohydrates. "
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Calories in - calories out. I'll be eating nothing but donuts at a calorie deficit. So many varieties, so my diet doesn't get boring. Can't wait to get shredded.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options

Why are you telling someone to learn to spell when clearly you can't yourself??

Plz? n? k?

Kettle
    Pot
    Black
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

no. food is not your enemy and there is no such thing as a good calorie or a bad calorie, just a calorie.

eat a cookie, you'll feel better.

choc_chip_ice_cream_sandwich.jpg

If he doesn't want it (being all clean-eaty and stuff)...can I have it? :love:
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you warsh yer nutz and salad and all is good.

Never know what you will catch...