Legit question. Housework....exercise or no?

Options

Replies

• marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    No.

I saw someone on my fl log in 'burned 16 calories doing 10 minutes of Cooking or food preparation'
    now that's just sad or pathetic not sure which :laugh:
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If I got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed the **** out of my house from top to bottom I would count it.. But I haven't yet because I haven't done that yet. :laugh:
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    It's quite possible to unnecessarily overcomplicate this. I remember when I was so confused and concerned about whether to log my bootcamp as cardio, weights, or try to figure out some kind of split system. But I took a friend's advice about keeping it simple and it's working out just fine. My advice is keep focused on results. As long as you are getting predictable results with how you are eating, exercising, and logging those then you are doing things "right".

Personally, I don't log things that I don't specifically do for exercise. So, I don't log mowing the lawn or walking across a parking lot to get to the store just for example. For me, it doesn't have to do with the frequency but my intent. I vaccum the living room because it needs it. This wouldn't work for everyone or for every instance; maybe sometimes the intent is to get something done AND to exercise - like I'll ride my bike to go pick up a gallon of milk. In those cases, I usually just default to not logging because I'm most concerned that I don't overestimate my calories burned and, more importantly, because I've learned this is what works best for me and I want to keep it simple. Your mileage may vary.
    I say no. Anything that is a regual life activity, such as cleaning I do not count on as calories burned, I don't count any calories I may burn walking during the day at work etc. Anything I do above and beyond my daily routine I count. So if I decided to walk to work one day (which I don't normally do) I would count that, any running, weight lifting, workout clases I do count. But I don't really think cleaning counts, sorry, just my opinion.

Appreciate your opinion.

I guess that's where I'm confused at. I work out everyday. I run a min of 2 miles every single day and have been for a good while now (before joining MFP) also i lift weights, hit the gym etc etc.

I run everyday....your saying I should count that.
    I deep clean 2 days out of the week, breaking a full sweat and wake up sore as if i just just squats, push ups and bicep curls.....doesn't count?

I was told I do not eat enough, so I try to log strenuous activities to fully realize the activity level and kinda base it on how much i should eat even though i dont eat back those calories...if that makes sense?
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    To be able to provide you with a proper answer, I believe I need you to come to my house and show me these 2 days of deep cleaning by cleaning my house.

........please. :D
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a sandwich ready by the time I come home.

I dont make sandwiches. I make a full 3 course meal hot and ready. :smile:

That a girl! Then do what ever your little heart desires.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I think the EDIT answered your question. If the HRM matches what you are logging I would log it.

IT DEPENDS ON WHAT ACTIVITY LEVEL YOU SET YOURSELF AT!!
    If it is set at Active or higher, I wouldn't. Mine is set at Sedentary so I log everything above average.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I suddenly feel like my house must be really filthy. :laugh:

That being said I use TDEE minus because I personally find trying to count up every calorie I might burn needlessly confusing. I guess my answer is that if it is working for you and you enjoy doing the math then go for it...but when it stops working you will know where to start making changes.
  • technobunny
    technobunny Posts: 131
    Options

I have 2 jobs. and I normally rotate them throughout the week unless other circumstances occur. (I am the owner of one and the manager of the other)
    1 job requires me to sit 95% of the time
    the other requires me to run around like a mad man 95% of the time.

My sit down days are normally when the deep cleaning takes place.

Wouldn't the extra work on the two days you sit on your butt get canceled out with the rest of the days you don't sit on your butt? It sounds like you're getting the same amount of activity on a daily basis (whether running around or not you make up for it), so the extra housework doesn't sound like it's going above and beyond the other days.

I would adjust your lifestyle setting, and not count it as exercise.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    It really depends for me. Some days, I go out of my way to make my cleaning part of my workout. I rearrange my room, I haul laundry baskets from room to room, I move everything out of my cabinets, clean them, then put them back in, etc. I make the cleaning "more work than it should be" because that is my aim. For that reason, the "its what you would normally do so don't log it" doesn't necessarily apply to me. I like feeling like I'm working my body, so I go all out. Those days, when I'm so sweaty a person might think I just came from hot yoga, I log it. Otherwise, I don't.
  • RMB2290
    RMB2290 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It totally counts! Anything that gets your heart rate up burns those pesky calories... Log it girl !
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Nope.

It's housework. If it's part of what you were doing normally when you came to the site, you've already accounted for it when you set up your tracker.

I know, it cracks me up that people would want to log housework as exercise. If it really was exercise, how come they never lost weight doing it before. Any excuse to add something for exercise.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    XxYeaIrocxX Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Nope.

It's housework. If it's part of what you were doing normally when you came to the site, you've already accounted for it when you set up your tracker.

I know, it cracks me up that people would want to log housework as exercise. If it really was exercise, how come they never lost weight doing it before. Any excuse to add something for exercise.

Totally hilarious.
    I mean too bad I'm not here specifically to lose weight (not over wight and never have been) but to get healthy and asked a serious question. But thanks for your input, it was completely useful.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    Options

I have 2 jobs. and I normally rotate them throughout the week unless other circumstances occur. (I am the owner of one and the manager of the other)
    1 job requires me to sit 95% of the time
    the other requires me to run around like a mad man 95% of the time.

My sit down days are normally when the deep cleaning takes place.

Wouldn't the extra work on the two days you sit on your butt get canceled out with the rest of the days you don't sit on your butt? It sounds like you're getting the same amount of activity on a daily basis (whether running around or not you make up for it), so the extra housework doesn't sound like it's going above and beyond the other days.

I would adjust your lifestyle setting, and not count it as exercise.

Makes sense! I guess i always considered myself as lightly active but now looking into it I guess I'm not at all. so adjusting I shall do!
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    and again thanks to everyone who actually read what I said.

Looks like I'll be adjusting my activity level :happy:
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Nope.

^^^ THIS!!! Totally agree!!! When I first started MFP I use to log housework and a good friend of mine told me that if I cleaned my house when I was fat than why would I even consider it as 'exercise'?? ... but if you wanna log it... so be it.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Do you lift heavy objects? Do you work your muscles? Does your heart rate go up?

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I usually don't log housework as exercise, unless it is very out of ordinary, like moving furniture to clean behind things.
  • Revolutionwithin
    Revolutionwithin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Nope.

^^^ THIS!!! Totally agree!!! When I first started MFP I use to log housework and a good friend of mine told me that if I cleaned my house when I was fat than why would I even consider it as 'exercise'?? ... but if you wanna log it... so be it.

Just because you cleaned the house when you were fat, doesn't mean that you didn't sit your *kitten* down on the couch after and jam a bag of chips in your mouth, and eat back everything you worked off! Maybe it didn't count as exercise because you weren't actually living in a way in which benefits could be seen. If someone is extremely overweight and counting calories, then cleaning the house could be extremely exhausting to them and have a huge effect. Heck, I've seen extremely obese people that just getting themselves out of a chair is hard work, let alone cleaning a house.

I have three dogs, two small children, constant house guests for weekends at a time, a partner(who doesn't clean but loves leaving mess) and myself. My house is three stories. Laundry (a daily chore) involves running up three flights of stairs, and down, running back up three flights to put it all away again. Lugging a vacuum up and down, moving furniture to sweep and wash floors, then dragging pails of water for washing the floors over and over up and down steps again, hauling out garbage bags, and then there is the days where I decide to remodel the living room and go "wonder woman" and rearrange everything.

Hell yes I'm counting that. What is the difference between me running up and down the stairs as many times as I do (and I am sure to make extra trips for the exercise) versus someone on a step machine at the gym? A hundred bucks or more a month on a gym membership is what! I'm not going to count picking up a pot and putting it in a cupboard, or wiping down a kitchen counter, maybe not even cleaning a window, but on the days when I'm hauling *kitten* around here and cleaning for a few hours...yeah...that's getting logged, I deserve that much.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Just because you cleaned the house when you were fat, doesn't mean that you didn't sit your *kitten* down on the couch after and jam a bag of chips in your mouth, and eat back everything you worked off! Maybe it didn't count as exercise because you weren't actually living in a way in which benefits could be seen. If someone is extremely overweight and counting calories, then cleaning the house could be extremely exhausting to them and have a huge effect. Heck, I've seen extremely obese people that just getting themselves out of a chair is hard work, let alone cleaning a house.

I have three dogs, two small children, constant house guests for weekends at a time, a partner(who doesn't clean but loves leaving mess) and myself. My house is three stories. Laundry (a daily chore) involves running up three flights of stairs, and down, running back up three flights to put it all away again. Lugging a vacuum up and down, moving furniture to sweep and wash floors, then dragging pails of water for washing the floors over and over up and down steps again, hauling out garbage bags, and then there is the days where I decide to remodel the living room and go "wonder woman" and rearrange everything.

Hell yes I'm counting that. What is the difference between me running up and down the stairs as many times as I do (and I am sure to make extra trips for the exercise) versus someone on a step machine at the gym? A hundred bucks or more a month on a gym membership is what! I'm not going to count picking up a pot and putting it in a cupboard, or wiping down a kitchen counter, maybe not even cleaning a window, but on the days when I'm hauling *kitten* around here and cleaning for a few hours...yeah...that's getting logged, I deserve that much.

Yes people don't understand that they were overweight, because they ate too much, not because of what they did or did not do. Because you can sit on the couch all day long, and as long as they are eating less then they are burning they are going to lose weight. I went to the gym all of the time when I was gaining weight, even ran a bunch of 5k's, but that didn't stop me from eating everything in sight. So now am I suppose to not count my 5 mile runs as exercise, because I was doing it before? Does it not count as exercise, or a workout when someone is bulking?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    include it in your NEAT, it's not exercise. All of my chasing around of the kids, cooking, cleaning, etc is included in my NEAT activity level. If I happen to have a killer day landscaping the yard or something I just treat myself to a couple extra brews and call it a day.

So you are saying that you drink 2 beers (added calories) when you have a killer day doing yard work? Sounds like replacing exercise calories to me. :wink: