diet soda dangers

Options

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! you people have way too much time on your hands!! who cares. If it helps her to lose weight, then more power to her. Science is dumb!

This makes me a sad panda. :sad:
  • salt160
    salt160 Posts: 44
    Options
    Sarcasm. Making a point that there are studies that will show just about anything you want them to. Boiled down- it does not matter to anyone but the person it matters to.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I read this article and this lady drank ONLY soda for 16 years. Most of which is cola. So duh, she would have heart irregularities from all the excess caffeine. Plus she had potassium issues. Carbonation affects the potassium levels in your body. Plus, she had family history of heart issues.

Moderation is the key. :wink:

Hey, why don't people pick on hot dogs? Hot dogs only have 11% protein. The 89% of hot dogs is fat and water. Not to mentioned the nitrates......

I actually think it is a testament for soda. I mean, only consuming one thing for 16 years!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    So are you going to red line your body until the wheels fall off?
    futurama-fry-meme-generator-not-sure-if-poe-s-law-applies-d1e25f.jpg
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Used to live on the stuff but feel better since I've given it up.

Same here. A lot better. Less bloat also. I have nothing against people that still drink it and no scientific evidence to prove that it's bad, but I'll never go back. Live and let live. :flowerforyou:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Sure, but you can totally cure all of these ills with a combination of coffee enemas and oil pulling. :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is absolutely toxic for your body. This is an incomplete list of the health issues associated with soda consumption:

Obesity
    Diabetes
    Heart disease
    Liver damage
    Insomnia
    High Blood Pressure
    Osteoporosis
    Various cancers
    These are also all associated with food. FAIL.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Haven't had soda in over 3 years and I don't miss it at all. I buy some very carbonated water and squeeze half a lemon in it when I want my old carbonation fix. Does the trick and replaces soda for me. I like the sourness, but if I didn't I'd either squeeze orange in it or sweeten it with agave.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Oh damn thanks for reminding me that I have a diet sprite in the freezer! :bigsmile:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is absolutely toxic for your body. This is an incomplete list of the health issues associated with soda consumption:

Obesity
    Diabetes
    Heart disease
    Liver damage
    Insomnia
    High Blood Pressure
    Osteoporosis
    Various cancers

said no scientific evidence ever.*

*obviously someone jacked full of caffeine isn't going to sleep. But that's hardly insomnia.

Here is a study regarding agressive prostate cancer. It has been published in a medical journal, so the truth is starting to come out.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/soda-day-raises-man-risk-prostate-cancer-article-1.1208695

"Among the men who drank a lot of soft drinks or other drinks with added sugar, we saw an increased risk of prostate cancer of around 40 percent,"

I read the article, but it doesn't seem to mention diet soda, or have much bearing on soda at all if it's including "other drinks with added sugar."

I am trying to find the news cast where a local Dr from Washington University came on our local news and said it was more specific to those that drink Diet soda and there is an increased risk of women and Osteoporosis and strokes from having just one diet soda per day
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Obesity
    Diabetes
    Heart disease
    Liver damage
    Insomnia
    High Blood Pressure
    Osteoporosis
    Various cancers
    These are also all associated with food. FAIL.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Also aging maybe its a conspiracy to kill you off when you get old
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    What about:

QUOTE (Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis)

"When study participants drank sucralose, their blood sugar peaked at a higher level than when they drank only water before consuming glucose," Pepino explained. "Insulin levels also rose about 20 percent higher. So the artificial sweetener was related to an enhanced blood insulin and glucose response."

UNQUOTE ( http://www.news-medical.net/news/20130530/Popular-artificial-sweetener-can-modify-how-the-body-handles-sugar-find-researchers.aspx )

This is where they say drinking Diet soda and other artificially sweetened drinks contribute to obesity because it gives the hunger response.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    OMG!!! you people have way too much time on your hands!! who cares. If it helps her to lose weight, then more power to her. Science is dumb!

That's exactly what the church told Copernicus
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Obesity
    Diabetes
    Heart disease
    Liver damage
    Insomnia
    High Blood Pressure
    Osteoporosis
    Various cancers

said no scientific evidence ever.*

*obviously someone jacked full of caffeine isn't going to sleep. But that's hardly insomnia.

Here is a study regarding agressive prostate cancer. It has been published in a medical journal, so the truth is starting to come out.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/soda-day-raises-man-risk-prostate-cancer-article-1.1208695

"Among the men who drank a lot of soft drinks or other drinks with added sugar, we saw an increased risk of prostate cancer of around 40 percent,"

I read the article, but it doesn't seem to mention diet soda, or have much bearing on soda at all if it's including "other drinks with added sugar."

I am trying to find the news cast where a local Dr from Washington University came on our local news and said it was more specific to those that drink Diet soda and there is an increased risk of women and Osteoporosis and strokes from having just one diet soda per day

There's s few good studies about bone densities in teen girls but most are saying its the lack of calcium in the American diet since no one drinks milk anymore
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    30dgdv4.gif
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    People will want to believe what they want to believe, either one way or another. No matter what people stand on this issue. No amount of evidence is going to convince people otherwise. Such is addiction defined by webster:persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful

All I know is from personal experience, I felt better after quitting Coke Zero (aspartame)

And just so happen one person is in the fitness industry doesn't mean they know any better. Now if you are a chemist and a doctor maybe it could appear to have more validity to the argument.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    39140316.jpg
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    In other news, they make Sunkist 10 and 7UP 10 now, and they are both spectacular.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    People will want to believe what they want to believe, either one way or another. No matter what people stand on this issue. No amount of evidence is going to convince people otherwise. Such is addiction defined by webster:persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful

All I know is from personal experience, I felt better after quitting Coke Zero (aspartame)

And just so happen one person is in the fitness industry doesn't mean they know any better. Now if you are a chemist and a doctor maybe it could appear to have more validity to the argument.

LOLOL

I do not drink diet soda....

How about peer reviewed studies?