SOS : can't lose weight AT ALL

Options

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If enough people ask, maybe she'll respond, or break down and go get one if not.

Do you HAVE A FOOD SCALE?
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I agree, start with the doctor. If it is thyroid or another health issue, then it will get alot worse if you stop your strict eating and exercise.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I agree, start with the doctor. If it is thyroid or another health issue, then it will get alot worse if you stop your strict eating and exercise.

Why start with the doctor? She hasn't even gotten to step 1 - GET A FOOD SCALE. That's like saying "I have a mild headache" and scheduling brain surgery before she takes a Tylenol.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    While I'm all for people getting good medical information, I find it ridiculous that people are suggesting getting thyroid issues checked for an 18 year old who is about 3-5lbs from being in a normal weight range, while none of us have any idea as to her caloric intake or intake accuracy at this point.
  • joolsmitchell
    joolsmitchell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this comment :-) your body gets used to a diet so it always pays to change it around a bit to re start the weight loss :-) best of luck x
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Are.

You.

Using.

A.

Scale.

Open.

Your.

Diary.

Yes, I love how people pay no attention to the ripped girl who did it right. I think they do that because they are afraid if they even talk to you they will get big muscles. *eyeroll*

True. I'm all bulky and stuff :sad: It's contagious, you know.

Contagious? Can you come out to PA and save me a few years of work then? ...no?

Ah well, back to the weight room.
  • joolsmitchell
    joolsmitchell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you go see a nutritionist. They can scrutinize you diet and help you make adjustments to kick start your weight loss. You may need a different source of protein than fish, I do better if I switch my protein up and my exercise to keep my body guessing.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You're doing it wrong....
  • ckone4me
    ckone4me Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Can you add me as your buddy? This way I can see your food diary!

I think your in a rut and need tomshake things up a bit! I am not sure what calories burns you are doing, how many calories your eating or what your eating but somthing needs to change.

I would like to help you figure it out if you let me.

Also , there are many medications that can cause someone to gain wieght and its the kind of weight that can not be loss unless you get off the meds.

I know this is not a bs thread, as I have seen some of your other posts here. Add me and let me try to help you, if you like. Thankx.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Can you add me as your buddy? This way I can see your food diary!

I think your in a rut and need tomshake things up a bit! I am not sure what calories burns you are doing, how many calories your eating or what your eating but somthing needs to change.

I would like to help you figure it out if you let me.

Also , there are many medications that can cause someone to gain wieght and its the kind of weight that can not be loss unless you get off the meds.

I know this is not a bs thread, as I have seen some of your other posts here. Add me and let me try to help you, if you like. Thankx.

You won't be able to see her diary even if you're buddies unless she changes the settings.
  • ckone4me
    ckone4me Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree, in order to help you have to share what you have been doing!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, but do you have a food scale?
  • jenf330
    jenf330 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This happened to me and I got myself so frustrated, feeling like I was doing everything absolutely right without any results. Here's what ended up working for me:
    1) It's been said before on here, but a food scale is a must. I was measuring out my food using cups and spoons, but I was shocked how different the amounts could be using the scale.
    2) This is controversial, but I quit relying on those TDEE calculators. Depending on which one I used they kept telling me my TDEE was around 2000 a day. I already owned a Fitbit and heart rate monitor, so I decided to test it out. Way way off. My TDEE is more like 1600 on a rest day and 1900 on a workout day. And maybe that doesn't seem like a big deal, but when trying to get the scale to budge, a few hundred calories make a difference.
    3) I started paying attention to my macros. That's when I realized just how many calories I was getting from carbs. I made some small adjustments and started adding in quality proteins (cottage cheese, chicken, Greek yogurt) and got my macros in line with 40/30/30.
    4) I started lifting heavy (or heavier). I had been lifting before, but I was using 3 and 5 lb weights. Now I'm working my way up to 10s, 15s, and 20s.

This is just what worked for me. Losing weight is still painfully slow, but at least it's started to move in the right direction. I think it can be really easy to feel like you're doing everything right and be just slightly off. It's that tiny amount off that's keeping your weight the same. Hope this helps in some small way! Keep experimenting :-)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I literally laughed out loud at that "list." Hilarious.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Honestly at 5'7" your weight sounds pretty darned close to where it should be. I'm just a wee bit shorter than you and my goal is 153. I'm working on building muscle. If I were planning not to have significant muscle mass, my goal would be lower, but 153 pounds looks like a LOT less when more of it is muscle.

I think you should be taking measurements with a measuring tape and ignoring the scale. Work on building your muscles. You will LOOK smaller even if you weigh more.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    1. Measure 75g dry pasta.
    2. put it on the side.
    3. Go out and buy a food scale.
    4. Get home and weigh pasta.
    5. Put the extra 75g back in the box/packet.
    6. Cook the reamining 75g pasta.

There you go!

Agreed

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNubnFnk8_NQEcHxRa2UagrDY4Kx_prxvFpGykwxwpbebgdVVX

Seriously though, it's amazing how much different "our" measurements are vs. actual measurements. What I thought was a serving (2T) of PB was actually like 2 servings. A food scale saved my diet. It makes all the difference in the world to actually know how much you are eating.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    CHECK YOUR GOAL SETTINGS!!!

If you have it set at anything BUT sedentary some if not all of your exercise calories are figured in. If you are eating all of them back, you would be eating too much and not realize it.

Are you eating back your exercise calories..... if you are set at sedentary and are not, you may not be eating enough.

Everyone has their own perfect number. you just have to find it. Try eating 200 calories a day MORE for a week. If you lose weight, it is what you need. If you gain, drop it 400 the next week.
    Are you using a HRM? Maybe your exercise is off so you are eating too much or too little.
  • avatrx
    avatrx Posts: 52
    Options
    I would think that body fat % should play a part. I don't know if you mentioned that? When I was young - I weighed as little as 138lbs, (5'10 small boned) but typically weighed around 148-151. I am now 59 and Weight 168. I wanted to get down to 155, but did a body weight % calculator to figure out what I SHOULD weigh. 160 was that number. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/

I could NOT lose weight to save my soul last spring until I started weighing EVERYTHING and recording EVERYTHING. Pain the butt, but did it and began losing. Snacking around the grocery stores? Record it. Soft drinks? I don't drink them, but I do put cream in my coffee so I would pour some into a measuring cup in the morning and record it. If I used it all - fine - if not - it gave me a couple of calories.

Has it occured to you that your scale is off since that seems to be your motivator? I use mine all the time, but did have to replace it. I compared the new to the old and my old one was off by about 1.3 pounds.....

Sam's clubs offer free health screenings periodically. They will tell you body fat, weight, bone mass, etc. Maybe you're relying on non-functioning equipment.

I live in the rust belt (very little iodine) so I do take iodine supplements which did help a little. Iodoral. got it from Amazon. Only take what they suggest. Too much is a bad thing, but if you're not getting enough of that mineral, that could be an impediment.

I am in no way trying to suggest supplements as a replacement for making sure you are accurately keeping track of movement and calories. I use a fitbit. That records how much I move in a day. They suggest 10K steps per day to help with weight loss. I don't often reach that goal, but I do regularly reach 5K - 7500.

Losing weight is a process. We all want to lose it fast while retaining our muscle tone. even those of us over 50. The first step is to be honest with yourself. If you have insurance (I don't) you could get a wellness physical. Or go to the local "Y". I think they offer those services.

I have gotten lots of good advice on this site, and as of today - I"m going to increase my calorie intake since I seem to have hit a slight plateau. I'll increase my step count and exercise at the same time.

You'll do it - just hang in there..
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

Agreed

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNubnFnk8_NQEcHxRa2UagrDY4Kx_prxvFpGykwxwpbebgdVVX

Seriously though, it's amazing how much different "our" measurements are vs. actual measurements. What I thought was a serving (2T) of PB was actually like 2 servings. A food scale saved my diet. It makes all the difference in the world to actually know how much you are eating.

Oh man that is always me.. I end up having left overs for a week.. why do I make so much!!! WHY!!!!
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit. Eat less than you burn - that is the only scientifically proven equation for weight loss. Walking and jogging are all fine and dandy, but for me to see the most results, I have to incorporate weights. Try it, it won't hurt!