"Baked" Oatmeal!

Options

Replies

• candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what kind of oats you use. Both old fashioned and quick oats come in the type of canisters that were referenced and they cook at completely different rates because old fashioned oats are rolled out more thickly after being toasted and steamed.

Also looking forward to the baked version. I want to do the muffin tin oatmeal I see on pinterest but I am always wary of making them without knowing someone who has had some success.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    bump
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mabfrazer
    mabfrazer Posts: 1
    Options
    mmmm I used your idea this morning

I had 30gm of oats
    1/8 cup egg whites
    1/2 a medium banana
    and I threw in 5gm of ground flaxseed.

put in a little bit of water, zapped in microwave and was tasty :) Very filling! I usually add natural sweetener in my bowl of oats in the mornings (I usually just have the oats with water and sweetener) but the banana gave it a slight sweetness so the sweetener was not required.

Worked out to be 191 calories, 26gm carbs, 11gm protein, 3gm fat, 7gm sugar.

Next time, I think I will throw in a little bit of ground cinnamon :)

Thanks for the idea!

Ah, I'm so excited for a change from my egg whites and oatmeal! Thanks for both recipes :)!
  • candacefausset
    Options
    I am trying out a baked version in muffin tins right now in several flavors. If it turns out well, I will post the recipe for everyone.
  • candacefausset
    Options
    Ok so here's what I got with my baked oatmeal.

Makes 24 oatmeal "muffins"

4 cups uncooked quick oats
    1 cups packed brown sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    3 cups milk (I used whole because it's what I had on hand)
    1 cup unsweetened applesauce
    4 tbsp butter, melted
    2 large eggs, beaten
    1 tsp cinnamon
    *optional- one scoop protein powder (I used optimum nutrition whey isolate protein in vanilla)

*optional- assorted fillings (berries, chocolate, etc)

Preheat oven to 375. Line 2 muffin tins with papers or spray well with cooking spray. Mix all ingredients except the fillings together until well incorporated. Fill muffin wells about 2/3 full. Add any fillings you want to the tops of each muffin well and give a slight stir to each one to incorporate the filling ingredients. I made 6 each plain, chocolate, blueberry and strawberry. I only used about 5-6 blueberries per muffin cup and 1 strawberry chopped into small bits on the strawberry ones. I had a bar of dark chocolate on hand and chopped 6 squares of it up for the chocolate ones. You don't want too much filling or your tins will overflow and you don't want to add too much sugary stuff like chocolate if you want to keep your calories low.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the edges begin to brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The strawberry ones took a bit longer for me and I imagine it was just a matter of moisture. Allow them to cool and then enjoy! You can top them with more fruit if you like or a little milk, yogurt or leave them as is. I stuck the rest in the freezer (in the pans still) after we sampled them. In about an hour you can remove them from the freezer and put them in large freezer bags so you can just take out however many you need at a time and microwave them for a minute.

Mine came out to 138 calories for the plain ones. I didn't figure out the others yet but I imagine they aren't too terribly much higher because of the small addition of ingredients. You could even cut the calories back more by omitting the butter or using skim milk. And I think next time, I will add a second scoop of protein powder so that I can get a bit more protein in the morning.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bobbinseed
    bobbinseed Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    MMMM so good! Thanks!!
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Nice ideas, I was just looking for some variation for breakfast, oats with a bit more of protein and the possibility to cut it and have it ready to grab in the morning, this is JUST PERFECT!!
  • anna_louise90
    anna_louise90 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Overnight Baked Oatmeal

easy-baked-oatmeal.jpg

2 cups rolled oats (old fashioned oats-they go through less processing)

1 cup whole milk

1/3 – ½ cup sucanat (based on how sweet you want it)

2 tablespoons melted coconut oil

2 eggs

1 ½ teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

½ teaspoon cinnamon

In a mixing bowl, combine the oats and milk. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, add the remaining ingredients and mix well.

Pour into a greased 8 inch baking dish. (or use muffin tins)

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

***Add-ins: raisins, chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, peanut butter, pureed fruit, chopped fresh fruit, etc.

Overnight Baked Oatmeal Trim Healthy Mama Style

baked-oatmeal.jpg

2 cups rolled oats
    1 cup almond milk
    2 1/2 tablespoons truvia (I make homemade)
    2 tablespoons applesauce
    1/3 cup egg whites
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Mix oats and almond milk. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
    2. In the morning add remaining ingredients and stir well. Pour into greased 8 inch pan.
    3. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.

**I serve mine with 1 teaspoon of virgin coconut oil on top. So good!
    **This is a good base recipe to add whatever you like: chunked apples or other fruit, cocoa powder, peanut flour, etc.
    **4 servings

http://www.stacymakescents.com/baked-oatmeal-revised

I highly suggest you checking out her site particularly before making up this oatmeal to get tips and she's also a blogger that shows the step by step process.

This is her revised "healthier" recipe, the other has brown sugar in it so depending on how healthy you want your recipe... both recipes are posted on her site.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Fruity Baked Steel Cut Oats

Baked-Oats-400x267.jpg

Fruit of choice, chopped (apples, pears, peaches) berries don’t need to be chopped unless they’re big

¼ cup steel cut oats

½ cup whole milk

Peanut Butter

Maple Syrup

In a 6 ounce greased ramekin, lay your fruit of choice. Pour oats over top and add milk. No need to stir. Place ramekin down into a large sized dish. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Serve with peanut butter and/or maple syrup if desired.

Yield: 1 Ramekin Serving - make as many as desired.

.Use almond milk and serve with 1 teaspoon coconut oil on top or Slim Belly Jelly. Skip the peanut butter and maple syrup if desired.

http://www.stacymakescents.com/fruity-baked-steel-cut-oats Much more details on her site about options!
  • hlinkous83
    hlinkous83 Posts: 30
    Options
    Ok so here's what I got with my baked oatmeal.

Makes 24 oatmeal "muffins"

4 cups uncooked quick oats
    1 cups packed brown sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    3 cups milk (I used whole because it's what I had on hand)
    1 cup unsweetened applesauce
    4 tbsp butter, melted
    2 large eggs, beaten
    1 tsp cinnamon
    *optional- one scoop protein powder (I used optimum nutrition whey isolate protein in vanilla)

*optional- assorted fillings (berries, chocolate, etc)

Preheat oven to 375. Line 2 muffin tins with papers or spray well with cooking spray. Mix all ingredients except the fillings together until well incorporated. Fill muffin wells about 2/3 full. Add any fillings you want to the tops of each muffin well and give a slight stir to each one to incorporate the filling ingredients. I made 6 each plain, chocolate, blueberry and strawberry. I only used about 5-6 blueberries per muffin cup and 1 strawberry chopped into small bits on the strawberry ones. I had a bar of dark chocolate on hand and chopped 6 squares of it up for the chocolate ones. You don't want too much filling or your tins will overflow and you don't want to add too much sugary stuff like chocolate if you want to keep your calories low.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the edges begin to brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The strawberry ones took a bit longer for me and I imagine it was just a matter of moisture. Allow them to cool and then enjoy! You can top them with more fruit if you like or a little milk, yogurt or leave them as is. I stuck the rest in the freezer (in the pans still) after we sampled them. In about an hour you can remove them from the freezer and put them in large freezer bags so you can just take out however many you need at a time and microwave them for a minute.

Mine came out to 138 calories for the plain ones. I didn't figure out the others yet but I imagine they aren't too terribly much higher because of the small addition of ingredients. You could even cut the calories back more by omitting the butter or using skim milk. And I think next time, I will add a second scoop of protein powder so that I can get a bit more protein in the morning.

This sounds WONDERFUL! Thanks for sharing!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    bump
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, thanks! I've been obsessed with baked oatmeal this week, and specifically www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com's recipes. I've had the Reese chocolate peanut butter, and the cinnamon roll one and YUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMYYY!!! Like having cake for breakfast!
  • bluestocking01
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Silver82
    Silver82 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Brelynn
    Brelynn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    These recipes sound great.....thanks for sharing!
  • bluestocking01
    Options
    Okay so this is definitely amazing! I now love oatmeal! I have never like oatmeal before now, refrigerator oatmeal- soupy oatmeal, none of it. But now I am in LOVE with baked oatmeal. Thanks for sharing!!