Anyone else "big boned"?

Options
Hi,

I was wondering, if this big boned story is really true, and if there is anyone out there that has still achieved their goals with a bigger frame? I'm about 1.66m (5'5'') and weight 76.8kg (170), want to go down to 65kg (143), but I have always been told I'm big boned, and honestly I DO have some large shoulders!!
Will I ever get the figure I want?? :(

Any stories/advice/opinions appreciated :D

Replies

• beccib2
    beccib2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    In a sense yes there is.

Everyone has different bone structures - like some have high cheekbones, or people are taller than others so its safe to assume that hip width and shoulder width of bones can be different too.

That being said, i am in the same position as you, however i realised i was looking to closely at the numbers on the scale, wanting to be like everyone else, but not realising my bone weight is probably more, and being the same weight as my smaller framed friends, would only make me look gaunt and ill, so i have now decided to concentrate on what i look like as my goal. who cares what the scale say. My aim is to have a nice flat belly and toned legs and arms - if this puts me at 2 stone heavier than someone else my height then so be it. As long as i am happy with how i look. Sometime goal weights aren't a good idea, especially if you have never been that weight - as you can't know what you would look like.

Just aim to be happy with how you look and don't look at a goal number weight wise - maybe aim for something like being able to pinch less than an inch or something???

Hope this helps :-)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    ME ME...PICK ME!

(actually I'm not personally but I couldn't resist)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I used to think that. I have a wide rib cage and I wear a size 10 shoe. I also have very broad shoulders. Then I lost weight. Still have huge feet...but now I'm a 4/6. DEBUNKED!
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think there is calculator to determine your frame and there is also another calculator that tells you what's a good goal depending on your frame.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I am just big,
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    :sad: Sure was expecting something else......
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am 5"6 and the lowest weight I have been at in adult hood is 140lbs. I was about a size 4-6 in a lot of things but I have very broad shoulders, thick legs and a big back. I am not sure if I am 'big boned" but I am for sure not on the small side of things. You just have to be happy with who you are and the way you look. Just be the fittest, strongest version of yourself. It might not be 115lb size 1.
  • chineyLuv
    chineyLuv Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think there is calculator to determine your frame and there is also another calculator that tells you what's a good goal depending on your frame.

I'm curious! Where can I find this?
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    Yes! I am 5'7" and if I weigh what the AMA claims I should weigh, I look anorexic and have bones sticking out everywhere. If I even go below 170, I am not even comfortable when I lay down in bed because my bones are sticking out. Even at 170, I am borderline skinny looking, despite being in a size 10 or even 12 sometimes. Noone believes that I weigh waht I do because I carry it well and have broader shoulders and hips.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Big boned IS a real thing. people are usually referring to frame/build type.frame sizes DO exist,that's why from side to side some peoples
    Rib cages measure 6 inches and some measure 12,same with hip bones.if you have a larger frame
    You carry weight differently.
    It's real.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have a large frame - broad shoulders/hips and a wide, spacious rib cage. (For example - my shoulder bones are almost 3 inches wider than my husband, who is 4 inches taller than me). That said, I'm still at the lower end of the BMI scale and wear a size 4/6. I don't think being large framed necessarily means you're destined to be heavy.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I'm curious! Where can I find this?

Is usually based on the size of your wrist and height

Women:

Height under 5'2"
    Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
    Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
    Large = wrist size over 5.75"

Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6"
    Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
    Large = wrist size over 6.25"

Height over 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
    Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
    Large = wrist size over 6.5"

Men:

Height over 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size 5.5" to 6.5"
    Medium = wrist size 6.5" to 7.5"
    Large = wrist size over 7.5"

After you know your frame you can use it on a calculator like this one

http://www.superskinnyme.com/ideal_weight_calculator.html

I'm 5'4 with a large frame , so my goal weight should be around 134 and 151 , my real goal is just between those numbers (140).

When I was 170 my pant size was a 10 and my collar bone was popping , so I already had an idea on what would be a good goal for me.
  • Kushy8
    Kushy8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself. My weight is very high for my clothing size. It always has been. A weight that looks good and healthy for someone with a bigger frame would look a little big for a smaller framed individual. Also, I know the BMI and weight charts seem very off for me.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Big boned IS a real thing. people are usually referring to frame/build type.frame sizes DO exist,that's why from side to side some peoples
    Rib cages measure 6 inches and some measure 12,same with hip bones.if you have a larger frame
    You carry weight differently.
    It's real.

But bone structure is different than having bones that are larger and heavier than someone else. This is similar to the pound of fat vs pound of muscle. ( just for clarification purposes)
  • christiancle
    Options
    I used to weight more than 400 pounds and always being told I have big bones....Bull **** cause now i weight 225 pound and my bone are not big........
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When people say they're big boned, it can mean a couple of different things, so it really depends on what you mean, exactly. Some people mean their frame is bigger. And that's true, but only for about 20% of women. The rest have medium or small frames. And your frame size (ie your skeleton) is part of your lean mass. It won't factor into your body fat percent. And being big boned doesn't mean your skeleton is super dense or heavy. Its a proportional weight. A larger frame size might prevent you from looking petite or delicate, but it won't stop you from getting lean and slender.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    There are different bone structures....that's why "average" height/weight charts span 30lbs....I am 5'7"....I think the average weight is between 134 and 165.....however, I haven't seen 134 since I was a child, and when I was about 160 I was pretty thin and healthy looking....I think if I went down to 130 I would look pretty sick.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Anecdotal evidence everywhere.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I believe there is such a thing as "big boned" better known as large framed. Ex. Serena williams is an athlete and she is not huge just solid/large for someone quite fit and is even greater in size than someone who shares the very same gene pool, her sister Venus who also plays the exact same sport. People always try to "debunk" Big boned myths or large frames, when clearly you can be built in different sizes. However just because you are big boned doesnt mean you cant lose weight. You may never be a size 0 or 2 but perhaps your smallest size is a 4 or 6. I am large framed and in high school (9th grade) i was 124lbs and wore a size 6 (that was my smallest ever. but by the end of high school I had filled out. My stomach was still flat but my boobs, thighs and hips had developed and I was 150 and a size 10. 150 looked great in high school, but now at 28 160 is my goal it looks better than 150 did on me in high schooland I have more muscle tone as well. i too am 5'6".

Anther ex. I just saw this lady who is a half an inch taller than me (5'6.5") and we practically have the same measurements except her bust is 2" bigger than mine and her hips are 2.5" smaller but she weighs, get this... 166lbs (6lbs away from my goal weight) WHAT!?. Smh. taller, same measurments,14lbs lighter? Bodies are strange. I believe "big boned" is very real
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    When people say they're big boned, it can mean a couple of different things, so it really depends on what you mean, exactly. Some people mean their frame is bigger. And that's true, but only for about 20% of women. The rest have medium or small frames. And your frame size (ie your skeleton) is part of your lean mass. It won't factor into your body fat percent. And being big boned doesn't mean your skeleton is super dense or heavy. Its a proportional weight. A larger frame size might prevent you from looking petite or delicate, but it won't stop you from getting lean and slender.

This is the best answer I have read so far.