How long has it been since you've had fast food?

Options

Replies

• LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    So long, about 12, maybe 13 hours
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    A McDonald's quarterpounder with cheese last week, Yoshinoiya beef bowl yesterday. If it fits in my kcal budget, I eatz. U mad?

^^This! I'm so sick of people thinking they're so cool because they only eat "clean". Here's a question, if the body composition outcome is the same for people who eat "clean" and people that follow IIFYM, then why eat "clean" 100% of the time? Because you have some false sense of self righteousness? Can't stand that...

I think it's two separate issues. One is losing weight and having a good body composition, and the other is eating food that has less chemical preservatives and is produced responsibly. You might get ripped and lean eating McDonald's, but they aren't the model of ethical food sourcing, and you can be sure they have additional processing/stabilizers to make sure the stuff makes it from where they manufacture it to your restaurant/tray.

I am sure there are people with okay looking bodies after eating meat from cows with infections and pus pockets. But...ew.

It's kind of like how you can have top performing athletes who win their events and are taking steroids, but steroids are considered a health risk. So many athletes choose not to use because it's not worth it to them.

Everyone do what you want. If you happen to find out a bit more about industrial food production and it makes you feel queasy just thinking about it, you may or may not decide to avoid in future. It's not about being cool, it's about doing what feels best to you (both physically and mentally).

After all, the people seemed to do fine eating Soylent Green, right? :P

You seem to sort of conflate health with ethics here. One issue is body composition, one issue is health, and another issue is ethical food production. You talk about industrial food production making you feel "queasy" and that means it's either unhealthy, unethical, or both.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    A bacon habanero ranch quarter pounder from McDonalds, 5 days ago.
  • grandevampire
    Options
    You seem to sort of conflate health with ethics here. One issue is body composition, one issue is health, and another issue is ethical food production. You talk about industrial food production making you feel "queasy" and that means it's either unhealthy, unethical, or both.

Yeah, I mean ethical on both ends, I guess. Ethical in terms of treatment of animals during their lives and towards producers, and then ethical towards consumers in terms of not including things that make people addicted/not be able to get enough of it while putting smiley faces on it and labelling it healthy for growing children. The first part, for example, injecting animals with growth hormones no doubt affects both ends, the well-being of the animal before slaughter and the person who winds up eating it.

And you're right, that my uneasiness comes from both the unhealthy and unethical aspects, even though I know that I could still have an athletic body and alright performance eating it.

Btw, I am by no mean extremely militant about eating as cleanly as possible (I did have a McFlurry the other day), and I realize that people will continue to frequent fast food chains. But having become a bit more aware about how the food industry operates, I myself cannot bring myself to regularly opt for that when I have better quality foods readily available to me. It's not because I think I'm better, it's just that luckily I get to pick what I eat. And frankly, I think many people simply are not completely aware of how the industry works (I never thought about it at all until very recently).
  • AiabliamsMommy
    AiabliamsMommy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow, I don't even remember the last time I had fast food. Definitely over 14 months, I know I haven't had it since I had my son. I don't think I had it when I was pregnant either, I had gestational diabetes. It's been a lonnnng time!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    So I used to be a huge fast food junkie (I had it at least once a day). Since starting on MFP, I haven't had fast food for 45 days (I don't include pizza that I get every now and again, though maybe I should haha).

It's been really cool to not eat this stuff everyday, and even cooler to realize that I don't think about cheating with the stuff any more.

..Though I guess now as I post this, I could go for some Taco Bell :D.

I think eating breakfast and snacks up before my lunch has really helped curb the cravings, so I don't go into the lunch hour starving and thinking about cheeseburgers and chicken!

Anyone else feel the same way?

It's been months since I had fast food, I find it mucks up my calorie count too much and for the pleasure I get for eating fastfood, I get double the discontent straight afterwards, for me it is just not worth it anymore.

Having said that, I would not rule out fish and chips this weekend, but I will forego nearly all other food that day - fish and chips from the chip shop will equal just over 1000 calories. Then again, I might not eat it after all.
  • heytherelameman
    heytherelameman Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    A day ago. If I wasn't the busiest person EVER, I MAY have cut it out, but I don't mind going. If I stay under my calories and and don't go overboard, then it's just fine. I've made it a mission for this time 'round not to restrict ANYTHING outright.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Monday? I think. I got Culvers because I wanted a good burger. I ditched the bun and had green beans for the side (I almost got the onion rings...) I don't eat or crave burgers very often so if I get one I want it to be good.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Yesterday. A crispy chicken Caesar salad from McDonald's. It was delicious, and I stayed within my calorie goal, so completely guilt-free. Win!
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, it was yummy
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    About 45 minutes ago. A burger and a Dr Pepper from Sonic. :heart:
  • ericthirdrow
    ericthirdrow Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Had some delivery pizza last weekend, so if that counts it's the answer. It had been a few months prior to that though. Probably since a road trip Easter weekend.
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had a 6 piece nuggets from McD's on Sunday. I am 100% well aware that they are deep fried beaks and a**holes and sawdust,

You say that like it's a bad thing.
  • candymara
    candymara Posts: 49
    Options
    Well, coming home from our camping trip this week we were starved and stopped at KFC... not a great choice but I was proud of my family once we got inside! The three of us shared a 3 piece meal... and didn't finish all the fries. Water to drink. So I guess we are all slowly starting to understand that changes need to be made. I have to admit, the days of each of us eating a 3 piece meal (plus another sandwich for my husband lol) are gone!

Most of the time when we need 'fast food' we choose Subway. It's just as fast as anything (the one in my town has a drive thru even) and is SO much more satisfying and much healthier.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's been 2 or 3 weeks and let's just say I'll never get a McD's cheeseburger again. Not a pleasant afternoon...
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Had a Grilled Chicken Bacon Ranch Salad from McDonalds two nights ago... However, I replaced the Ranch dressing with the Low Cal Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing - knocked at least 60 calories off! Yum!!!
  • algrant1
    algrant1 Posts: 17
    Options
    2 days ago I stopped in at pollo tropical - the half chicken was calling my name! Depending on what u get, it barely qualifies as fast food though. I keep fast food runs to maybe 2x a month.

I get cravings for taco bell as well, though I haven't eaten there for at least a couple months. A burrito is sounding good!
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I haven't had Mcdonald's in forever but I had Checkers back in Feb.
  • jenniball91
    Options
    I occasionally get a veggie sandwich from Subway, but otherwise I haven't had fast food since... November? Wow, I guess that's right. It's doable!