How much did you lose before you went down a pants size?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• saraj78
    saraj78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember the exact story, but here's the gist of paper towel analogy:

Al is a roll of paper towels. The center/core is Thin Al. Each paper towel sheet is a pound of fat on Al. The outer layer(s) barely go around the roll once so, if you take one sheet off of Al, you don't see much change. As you take more and more sheets off, each sheet wraps around a bit more and, the closer you get to the center, to Thin Al, the more noticeable each sheet you remove is.

Anyway, at your heaviest, it's going to take a while before the loss shows. As you get smaller, it will take less to go down a size.

When I started, it took me 30+ pounds to go down a size. At my smallest, I went down three sizes in less than 20 pounds. Body composition also makes a big difference. If you work on shedding fat, not just "losing weight," your measurements will go down more.

I love this!! Makes perfect sense. I've lost 50ish, and am down from a tighter 18/20 to a good fitting 14.
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    Only lost about 20 pounds but I'm down 3 pant sizes. God bless dem muscles.

I only lost 8lbs to go from a 38 to a 36. Guess its all the hard work put in the gym.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have only gone down one size, sometimes 2 (depending on brand, of course). It's discouraging, definitely - but I am glad to see this thread and know that I am not alone.

Not that I want to share the misery - but it helps realize "it's not just me" .
  • lahstrand
    lahstrand Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It definitly matters how much you have to lose, but I also think height plays into it. If you are taller there is more places to store fat and you have to lose lbs across all of those areas to lose a size. I'm only 4 ft 10 in. When I weighed 40 lbs less I was a size 2-4. Now 40 lbs heavier and I'm a size 12-14. I lose 5-7 lbs and everyone starts commenting...my friend who is 6 ft tall lost 20-25 lbs before she got a comment.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    When i read someone posting up “How long will it take before I (lose 50 pounds/get abs/fit into these pants)?”, i think that they are only interested in the results and aren’t really interested in putting in the time and effort to get there.

keep working hard, and the results will come.

Not sure how you got THAT from her question! She is losing and doing the work!
  • jaznon
    jaznon Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm down 15 and still nothing :( I notice that some of my old stuff is fitting different but still haven't been able to buy smaller pants. However, I see a big difference in my shirts! Some are way too big for me now and a couple of new ones I have bought were a size smaller :) The day I fit into smaller pants I will be estatic!!!!
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It use to be about every 10-12 pounds meant a pant size for me but I went from 190 to 169 with my size 14 just feeling a little loser but not ready for the 12's.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    This can be very frustrating. I have lost 75lbs 335-260 and I am only down two pant sizes. It really just depends on how your body carries your weight. My body isn't wanting to let go of tummy fat so I am still hanging on to the pant sizes :/
  • jazzrose007
    jazzrose007 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 20/18 to a 16 after losing 50 pounds. I takes some time.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    When i read someone posting up “How long will it take before I (lose 50 pounds/get abs/fit into these pants)?”, i think that they are only interested in the results and aren’t really interested in putting in the time and effort to get there.

keep working hard, and the results will come.

Not sure how you got THAT from her question! She is losing and doing the work!

I thought that that was kind of unfriendly too! She's just asking a question!
  • fatmanda1234
    fatmanda1234 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 30 pounds and only went down one size from a 12 to a 10. But I think I was squeezing into my 12s for awhile so maybe 1 1/2 sizes :-)
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I started in January around 150 in a size 8/10 - lets be honest mostly 10's. Now I am 147 and size 6/8 - My goals is a size 4 I was last that at 130 to 116 lbs...so we shall see. My weight spreads pretty evenly but I can't really slim down beyond that.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!