my family keeps saying I'm underweight, am I?

Options

Replies

• Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You're just about bang on a healthy weight - see this http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/healthy-living/Pages/height-weight-chart.aspx.

Your family will be comparing you to how you looked before the weight loss. Show them this chart, and show them that you're a healthy weight, and maybe try to have a frank conversation about how you all feel about the weight loss - it's a big change!
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Are your family overweight? They may just have skewed perceptions because of being used to seeing you overweight.

this is what I was wondering as well. A good friend of mine told me that she thought I should not loose anymore - I am 5'11" and weight 155. I am far from underweight. I am listed on the BMI as just healthy/normal. I would ideally like to be in the 140s for weight but time will tell if my body will allow me to loose anymore (I have plateaued for almost 2 months).
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would guess that you aren't underweight. Your stats are about the same as mine. Your photographs (the black dress ones) look healthy. Do you know your BF%? Do you lift?
  • Hotdawgnothotdog
    Hotdawgnothotdog Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Your perfectly in the normal range of BMI, actually you're rather close to being considered overweight, tell your parents thisz *assuming you know what BMI, body mass index, is* Also, point out to them that you can't see your ribs and are happy in your body, they should be happy to know this. Realize they are just worried about you, my parents are the same way. My mom threatens me into not starving myself (not actually threatening, just kidding.)
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 135 is my goal weight. That's the weight I was before I got my kids and I wasn't underweight or too skinny at all. A few years before that I was 108 lbs and at that time I was just over normal BMI. So you could still loose weight and not be underweight.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone is saying. You are not underweight. You look healthy and quite fabulous!

absolutely this! I am your height and weigh 125 and still want 5 to go and that is not underweight at all..
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I told them they are just not used to healthy me, I'm at the top of the recommended weight range for my height and build. everyone in my family struggles with weight. mom got too thin years ago and I told her to see a nutritionist.... she keeps using that against me. I'm not even dieting anymore. what weight I've lost recently is my body adjusting on its own.

It sounds like this is your mother's issue, not yours. It's unfortunate that she can't separate her own issues from your weightloss. Even though you're an adult, you're still her child and her issues shouldn't be put on you especially since it sounds like you're dealing with a lot lately. My mother is the same way - when she was overweight, she would overfeed me as a child so I was overweight too. As I got older and lost weight, she would sabotage it. A few years ago she lost a lot of weight and even though the weight I had gained was pregnancy weight, she would use it to criticize me and point out that she was thinner than me or try to compete with me over weight loss. When I lost the pregnancy weight, she would make mean comments because I was thinner than her - it's a no-win situation. Don't feed into it, set boundaries and make your weight an off-limits topic.

Good luck and keep eating healthy. You look great - 3 years of exercise, healthy eating & weight loss is a grwat accomplishment. You should feel great about yourself!
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Your weight is fine also BMI doesnt necessarily give you accurate reading for healthy etc.. you can be skinny fat and have a normal BMI and also rugby players BMI's are usually over 30 so are obese wth dont think so.. BF% is better indicator.
  • Inkybit
    Inkybit Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I told them they are just not used to healthy me, I'm at the top of the recommended weight range for my height and build. everyone in my family struggles with weight. mom got too thin years ago and I told her to see a nutritionist.... she keeps using that against me. I'm not even dieting anymore. what weight I've lost recently is my body adjusting on its own.

It sounds like this is your mother's issue, not yours. It's unfortunate that she can't separate her own issues from your weightloss. Even though you're an adult, you're still her child and her issues shouldn't be put on you especially since it sounds like you're dealing with a lot lately. My mother is the same way - when she was overweight, she would overfeed me as a child so I was overweight too. As I got older and lost weight, she would sabotage it. A few years ago she lost a lot of weight and even though the weight I had gained was pregnancy weight, she would use it to criticize me and point out that she was thinner than me or try to compete with me over weight loss. When I lost the pregnancy weight, she would make mean comments because I was thinner than her - it's a no-win situation. Don't feed into it, set boundaries and make your weight an off-limits topic.

Good luck and keep eating healthy. You look great - 3 years of exercise, healthy eating & weight loss is a grwat accomplishment. You should feel great about yourself!

I think you may be on the right track. I feel bad thinking such things, I want her healthy too. she lost 165 after surgery I was ecstatic for her, then she had a stroke put on what looks like 50-60lbs back on. but she claims my dad is worried too. claims if I lose anymore I'll end up in the hospital. the men are naturally slim in my family, women.... we're very stout. I'm the smallest of the girls... height weight small features. I'm the first in the family to do this without surgical help.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I think you may be on the right track. I feel bad thinking such things, I want her healthy too. she lost 165 after surgery I was ecstatic for her, then she had a stroke put on what looks like 50-60lbs back on. but she claims my dad is worried too. claims if I lose anymore I'll end up in the hospital. the men are naturally slim in my family, women.... we're very stout. I'm the smallest of the girls... height weight small features. I'm the first in the family to do this without surgical help.
    They're probably partly scared and/or jealous of you as well, if that is the situation, where before they had the excuse that they couldn't lost it without surgery. Probably blame their 'genes', right?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    She's not underweight or overweight. There are so many factors that contribute to why different people, of the same height, are healthy at different weights (or will be over or under weight at different weights). The BMI range is at least a 35 pound range, and it's only a rough guideline of averages. We can not compare ourselves to others. It's not a good idea to throw around misguided accusations of over or underweight. It should be based on actual knowledge of that individual. Based on the info that we have about her and her photos, she appears to be at a healthy weight for herself. I would not make a comparison between her and I because there are so many other factors besides height.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    5'2" and 134? Absolutely not.

I'm 5'2" and 100. When I was young I was 90, and even a little under during an experiment with vegetarianism. I was always healthy.

It's said that many people no longer can recognize what a healthy weight is. Your parents may be in that group.

Says you, who is actually underweight by BMI standards at 18.3 :) It works both ways.

You should all stop looking at BMI .. it's meaningless people.

I am 102 and NOT underweight at 5'2". I am strong, fit and healthy (although I'm looking to gain right now :D )

At 135lbs with a slight frame, you'd be on the heavier side for your height ... BUT ... it has a lot to do with the ratio of fat free mass to body fat you are carrying too (muscle mass takes up less space/volume per lb compared with fat mass).

Don't focus on your weight. Just focus on being healthy and whatever fitness goals you might have.

It's quite likely your family just need time to adjust.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

You would have to lose a whole lot more for low body weight to put you in the hospital! The women in my family are short and gain weight quickly too (I'm 5'1") but genetics don't have to define your weight. I wouldn't engage in any conversations about weight with your mom. If your dad is more rational on the issue, try talking to him alone and explain that her comments are negatively affecting your self-image and ability to feel good about your accomplishments. If she brings up your weight other than to say how good you look or some other realistic/positive question or comment, change the subject or end the conversation. Your mom may not be able to have a realistic view of your weight until she deals with her own issues with weight & body image. It's a really difficult area for some people, especially womem. Additionaly, having your mother be so negative about your healthy weight loss can have a huge negative impact on you and your self-image - I know how hard it is for me years after realizing I couldn't count on my mon to be a supporter in my weight loss. It sounds like you worked really hard to get where you are to let anyone make you feel bad about it. Identify the people in your life that are supportive in this area and go to them when you need extra motivation or someone to listen!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    youre not underweight. they are just not used to seeing you like this.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    Nope. You're just under being overweight. You'd have to be less than 101 pounds.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Hell no, you're not! Your BMI is at the higher end of the "normal" weight, so you could lose more without being considered underweight (not that you need to).
    Their perception is skewed. I read that quote in an other thread:
    "In an all-fat world, obesity doesn’t exist"

If everyone is fat, someone who is of normal weight could be perceived as underweight.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said... no way! At one point I was 96 lbs at 5'1" and my doc still told me that I was perfectly healthy for my height and body type (super petite frame). As already stated, your family is just not used to seeing you like this.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3". I weigh 115. We are both well within normal.
  • Mrskatie
    Mrskatie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No, that's a healthy weight. And we're all different. We carry our weight differently from one another (even two people the same height and weight can look like they're not the same).

It sounds like they're not being very supportive. Are they envious of your success? Ignore the negativity and surround yourself with support!! Like on here ;-)
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Not too thin. Congratulations on your awesome weight loss!