Do you work out during your period?

Options
Ladies, I've got a question for you... Do you exercise during your bad week of the month? I've got usually so much pain that I slow down in all the activities I do but I'm affraid that if I stop exercising four or five days, I won't be able to catch up... :angry:

Replies

• RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel up to it then don't feel like you have to do it. You're pushing yourself too hard, a small break won't hurt if you stick to your calorie goals. xx
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I do ....It really helps...I just for for a brisk walk and slow jog to freshen my mind and helps with the pain.This also helps with cravings...If you feel like you can rest else try going for a walk....My whole body aches during TOM days...
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always work out during the bad week - it actually HELPS with the pain. It takes a little more motivation and discipline to "force" yourself to do it, but once you've done it, you feel much better after the workout and a lovely shower (:
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I've got a question for you... Do you exercise during your bad week of the month? I've got usually so much pain that I slow down in all the activities I do but I'm affraid that if I stop exercising four or five days, I won't be able to catch up... :angry:

not usually on the first day as it's too painful but after that I'm fine as long as I keep well hydrated. Everyone is different though... some women hardly cramp at all, lucky for them! :grumble:

If you are suffering for the whole of your period why not try something gentler... yoga or long walks... I actually find exercise helps with the pain and the bad mood :laugh:
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options

Of course. I take ibuprofen if the pain is really bad.
    If I don't exercise I get angry and depressed so not a good idea combined with 'ladytime'

If you are in a lot of pain it's normal to take it easy, but exercise can apprently help with those sort of pains anyway
  • hollygparr
    hollygparr Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I do it helps the pain. It's annoying at first, but after 5 mins or so you will feel much better!
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Heeeeell no. I'm kind of traumatized to be honest. A couple months back, I did some light exercise (on the tail end of it, really light and no cramps by that day), then suddenly ten minutes later I got some of the worst cramps I've ever felt and more*. Not even the usual cramps. I nearly cried trying to stand up, the pain was that awful and sharp.

shining-elevator-bleeds-o.gif

Everyone says it's supposed to help but it sure as hell doesn't for me. So I'm personally not doing it. Up to you and how you feel though. Haha.
  • poma91
    poma91 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I always have awful cramps the 1st or 2nd day so I take painkillers. However I don't stop exercising although I hate the feeling. I feel so uncomfortable in my own skin while doing so. Oh well it is just a couple of days so I suck it up and push forward.

Also since I lost weight and started exercising regularly I've got a lighter flow and less cramps.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    ugh, no need for the gif - I haven't had my breakfast yet
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Have you not seen the adverts? Apparantly during our periods we can ski, handglide, moutain climb, wrestle with cougars, which is amazing because I cant do any of that s**t when Im not on my period. Power Periods!

Period. Because I dont think I said period enough above.

Serious note, I do yoga during that week for cramps, ease back on the cardio but up the lifting xx
  • poma91
    poma91 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Have you not seen the adverts? Apparantly during our periods we can ski, handglide, moutain climb, wrestle with cougars, which is amazing because I cant do any of that s**t when Im not on my period. Power Periods!

Period. Because I dont think I said period enough above.

Serious note, I do yoga during that week for cramps, ease back on the cardio but up the lifting xx

HAHAHA made my day!

Don't forget that we do all this with smile on the face while wearing white shorts and dresses :D
  • antxoable
    antxoable Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, i do not have pain but i really feel dizzy for the first couple of days, so i take it gentle, no intense cardio workouts, more pilates, a bit of weight training....
  • TheVeganFrenchie
    Options
    not usually on the first day as it's too painful but after that I'm fine as long as I keep well hydrated. Everyone is different though... some women hardly cramp at all, lucky for them! :grumble:

If you are suffering for the whole of your period why not try something gentler... yoga or long walks... I actually find exercise helps with the pain and the bad mood :laugh:

Haha yeah, LUCKY THEM.

Thanks to all of you for the answers! :smile: Actually when you were answering I was on my bike for an hour and it does helps for the pain. I think that on a bike, as you don't have to stand, it's easier not to think about what's going on in there... I feel a bit better now :wink:
    It's frustrating tough when you try to push yourself to your maximum and then... PAIN. Headache. Niagara falls. I love beeing a woman :flowerforyou:
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I guess it really depends on each woman, since the cramps for one can be far different than another. I'm a walker normally, but when I have my time of the month, the cramps can really hurt sometimes.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Pain is a deciding factor.

I read that during your period, your progesterone & estrogen levels are lowered which may make it easier to push through a workout. That was just in a magazine, so don't quote me as a research study. I like to think of that whenever I feel like a period allows me to skip workouts. I find some of my best workouts are when I'm on my period, I just feel tougher & able to lift more weight or run a bit longer.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/period-workout
  • ShellK71
    ShellK71 Posts: 33
    Options
    not the first few days but after that yep.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yes, always. It can actually help with cramps.
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yup, I definitely work out during my TOM. It helps with my cramps and bloating. However, I do notice I am much more uncoordinated during this time, which is so weird.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I get heavy bleeding, bad cramps and ovarian cysts that get big enough to push on nerves and send excrutiating pain down my legs. In fact, the beginning of this week I was in extreme pain for 3 days straight, I ran 4 miles every day and during my run was the only time the pain subsided.