A question for 1200 calories per day consumers

Options

Replies

• ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    You can't just look at one side or the other. It goes back to everyone is different. Their needs are different. We aren't all going to fit into the same mold all the time. Weight loss and diet have to be tailored to the individual. As a nutritionist, you're not going to put a diabetic on a high carb diet or tell a person with BP issues that are sodium sensitive to not monitor sodium. I'm guessing that you individualize meal planning for your clients.

So to make yourself more healthy, you eat in an unhealthy manner below what is healthy for you to eat? Incredible logic.

Yes I do make individual meal plans etc.

I don't eat unhealthy. I eat extremely healthy. Lots of veggies, lean protein, nuts, good fats, fruits, fish. Some days I don't eat a lot because I'm sleeping or at work. I supplement with a protein shake on days I think I'm not going to eat well. I can add fruits, veggies and dairy to eat easily and take it on the go with me.
  • chubaway
    chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    We are ALL special snowflakes but some refuse to see that. Not sure why? We all lose differently because our system works that's way. IMO if we were all the same we'd all be fat or we'd all be skinny or we'd all have cancer or we'd all be nuts. Whatever. My lifestyle my way your lifestyle your way. Enjoy YOUR life and do what you got to do, but let others do the same.

^^^ THIS ^^^
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    You can't just look at one side or the other. It goes back to everyone is different. Their needs are different. We aren't all going to fit into the same mold all the time. Weight loss and diet have to be tailored to the individual. As a nutritionist, you're not going to put a diabetic on a high carb diet or tell a person with BP issues that are sodium sensitive to not monitor sodium. I'm guessing that you individualize meal planning for your clients.

So to make yourself more healthy, you eat in an unhealthy manner below what is healthy for you to eat? Incredible logic.

I don't eat unhealthy. I eat extremely healthy. Lots of veggies, lean protein, nuts, good fats, fruits, fish. Some days I don't eat a lot because I'm sleeping or at work. I supplement with a protein shake on days I think I'm not going to eat well. I can add fruits, veggies and dairy to eat easily and take it on the go with me.

Eating healthy foods doesn't make the amount you are eating, healthy. Comprends pas?
  • brittanyd83
    brittanyd83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1200 is what MFP calculated based on my stats - I'm rubbish at maths so utterly unable to manipulate the statistics, sorry. I'm no more different than anyone else!

I roughly aim for 1200, but eat anything between just under that and about 1800 net - and I'm losing weight at a steady pace. Certainly not 2lb a week as was my huge ambition, but it's working. More like 1lb and not every week.

Same.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I find it quite entertaining that some people, like PepperWorm, get so upset that people choose to eat a certain number of calories per day.

In my opinion, 1200 calories of clean eating is far better than an 1800 calorie diet that includes a lot of crap!

I eat 1350 calories a day. I eat clean. I get all my nutrients. I am always satisfied. I'm losing fat!

BIngo! and why do people who have over 50 lbs to lose think they are the experts at what other people should do? very puzzling indeed
  • Ash1983ley
    Ash1983ley Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Not to argue, because your point is very valid. However, I set mine to 1250 a day because I DO workout and then my needed calorie intake raises. So for instance I start off only wanting to take in 1250 but burned 650 calories, I will now consume about 1900 instead. Not starving, just trying to rapidly shed about 15 lbs.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    Doctors take 8 hrs or less of nutritional courses. I'd take anything they say with a grain of salt, unless they're a nutritionist/dietician.
    A dietitian is a pro. "Nutritionist" is a job title you can put on anybody's name tag. My doctor has a lot more training in nutrition than just 8 hours of coursework.
    ConnieEddieFINAL-%282%29-762552.jpg
    The picture on this blog is of Connie Diekman, a Registered Dietitian with her dog, Eddie, who has a certificate calling him a nutritionist from the American Association of Nutritional Consultants. No education or experience was needed to apply for this certificate.
    Not sure why picture isn't showing. You can see it and read more here:
    http://www.healthline.com/health-blogs/diet-diva/nutritionist-vs-dietitian

That dog looks rather happy to be a nutritionist.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I find it quite entertaining that some people, like PepperWorm, get so upset that people choose to eat a certain number of calories per day.

In my opinion, 1200 calories of clean eating is far better than an 1800 calorie diet that includes a lot of crap!

I eat 1350 calories a day. I eat clean. I get all my nutrients. I am always satisfied. I'm losing fat!

BIngo! and why do people who have over 50 lbs to lose think they are the experts at what other people should do? very puzzling indeed

:laugh: :drinker:
  • ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I don't see why people care soo much about what other people are doing. Focus on YOURSELF And You would be losing more weight or getting to your goals quicker.. SMH

I eat 1500-1700 calories daily. But when I was eating 1200 calories a day I lost 20lbs in 3 months. Along with eating a fast food meal 1-2x a week.
  • natashalh1998
    natashalh1998 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think you do need more information about each person before stating your opinion about their calorie consumption. MFP tells me to net 1200 to lose LESS than 1 lb per week. Even Scooby's workshop has me at 1259.

I do eat back most of my exercise calories, however I am simply not consistent enough with exercise to justify more than a sedentary lifestyle choice in the calculators. Trust me, I would love to have 1500 calories a day, however, until I manage to adjust my lifestyle sufficiently to have consistent exercise, I have 1200 to work with 5 out of 7 days a week.

So simply stating that people should always eat more than 1200 is simply not valid.

Same for me!! I'm not concerned with how many calories and what a person is doing to lose weight, what works for them is not going to work for me. Do what works for you!
  • ncmedic201
    Options

Eating healthy foods doesn't make the amount you are eating, healthy. Comprends pas?

So you suggest I eat until I get sick just so I can meet some magical number? Or eat crap food that has no nutritional value for no other reason than meeting that magical number, even if I'm already full?
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Because I get umpteen mails off people for help on this very subject. Posting on this thread a few times has got me half a dozen messages in the last hour or so asking for help.

If you can help people on the forum, it prevents so many mails to me asking for help... to a degree anyway.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hi - I perceive the OP as someone who is wondering how we can be all different shapes, sizes, ages, etc, and use the generic 1200 calories as the norm.

I try to shoot for 1200 because I know that I'm not calculating everything exactly down to each tiny crumb of food, but I put my best guess, this is for food I order out. Even though I might record 1200 its probably maybe 1500 because i dont have everything exact.

I really actually dont try for numbers per se, but I go for healthier food, and I just record it, and sometimes Im not eating enough calories in a day acording to MFP, however, it may be that I am guestimmating it wrong. But as long as my progress is steady, then I know I'm ok. And If I'm starving, I will eat a bit more because if Im getting woozy from not enough food, i will choose the food over meeting the numbers.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    So you suggest I eat until I get sick just so I can meet some magical number? Or eat crap food that has no nutritional value for no other reason than meeting that magical number, even if I'm already full?

You are mocking me about magical numbers, when you are insisting eating at a magical 1200? I come at this from an experienced background with plenty of clients behind me to show this. I'm suggesting eat more, to have more energy, healthier bones, teeth, hair etc - because the body is being fed.

I coach people world over, have clients literally from US, UK to Oz and get results. People actually track me down so I can coach them and get the results I want. The info I'm giving out here is what people pay good money to hear and then follow diets I recommend.

You have achieved what exactly?

I'm out of this thread because frankly I don't need to waste my time. Ciao.

Ps - And yes, if it hit fits your macros, no bad foods exist - if you hit your calorie requirements and they are burnt off, nothing will exist from that intake.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm not a special snowflake. I use mfp as designed. I net 1200 (although I eat considerably more - around 1800ish). 1200 calories as a net is very different than 1200 as gross intake. Mfp intends people to net 1200. Which for me works out to about the same # of gross intake calories (if not just a hair more) than TDEE-%.

1200 isn't the root of all evil.

I agree...I think part of the problem is the bazillion people on MFP who don't do it right and think 1200 is gross calories...and they also tend to think that's their maintenance or something.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mam10z6GbC1rh1er7o1_500.gif
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options

:laugh: :drinker:

*eyeroll*

Obviously you didn't read what I said.

I'm not an advocate of below 1200 calorie diets. 1200 net is perfectly acceptable, too, if you're at a certain activity level/body weight.

Oh, and poking fun at the amount of weight I have to lose? Real smooth, buddy.

You do you and I'll do me. Don't be a douche.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I consume 1200 calories a day because I had a lapband placed on May 15th of this year. I had a hard time even getting to 1200 calories a day after surgery. I am considered morbidly obese and was and still am in a very dangerous medical condition. I'm getting better EVERY DAY. I am under the care of an Exercise Therapist, Nutritionist, Surgeon, Registered Nurse and they even throw in a psychologist to make sure that you're overcoming your food addiction. I will also not be costing the taxpayers money in health care for Heart Surgery, Diabetes treatments, Knee Replacement Surgery, etc.

I am doing things the right way, FOR ME. Sometimes things like this are hard to read. I'm finally trying to take charge of my life and my health and you make blanket statements? I was so excited to see the title of this thread and thought this would be a positive post and your statements seem negative frankly...like I'm doing something wrong.

This is the first time in my life that I've ever monitored what's going in my mouth and I'm PROUD of the changes I've made. (40 lbs lost and under medical and nutritional care from the get go.) Why paint everyone with the same brush? I'm going to work my *kitten* off (literally), regardless of what you say but know that you can effect people negatively by making gigantic statements that don't make sense to everyone. Some of us 1200 calorie a day eaters do know what we're doing, or at minimum are trying to learn to be healthy. Worry about you and what's going in your mouth.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    What's crazy about the direction of this thread is:

1. I never gave any advice (I didn't say eat more or less)
    2. I definitely specified that calculators take into consideration weight, height, age, and activity level so the arguments of "I'm over 40, I can't exercise, I'm short" don't really apply
    3.I don't have over 50lbs to lose, I have less than 15 now

Honestly, I'm not on a high horse or pointing fingers. It was a real question about WHY people choose the calorie goals they have. I didn't say that anyone was going to fail or that what they're doing doesn't work.

You can ask why I care over and over again; the reality is this is a public forum where people come to ask questions and get answers.
  • ncmedic201
    Options

You are mocking me about magical numbers, when you are insisting eating at a magical 1200? I come at this from an experienced background with plenty of clients behind me to show this. I'm suggesting eat more, to have more energy, healthier bones, teeth, hair etc - because the body is being fed.

I coach people world over, have clients literally from US, UK to Oz and get results. People actually track me down so I can coach them and get the results I want. The info I'm giving out here is what people pay good money to hear and then follow diets I recommend.

You have achieved what exactly?

I'm out of this thread because frankly I don't need to waste my time. Ciao.

Ps - And yes, if it hit fits your macros, no bad foods exist - if you hit your calorie requirements and they are burnt off, nothing will exist from that intake.

I'm not really concerned about eating a piece of cake if I want a piece. But I'm not going to eat when I'm not hungry just for the sake of eating. I eat when I'm hungry and I don't when I'm not. I know I don't have the greatest eating habits as far as quantity, that's why I make sure I at least get quality foods in. What do you suggest when a person just can't get that amount of food in?

I've never taken in a lot of calories thru food. I drank most if my calories thru coffee drinks. I can't really do that anymore. I eat higher calorie fats like avocado, nuts, EVOO.