Do people give you weird looks in public?

Options

Replies

• jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    only when I go topless, apparently that kind of stuff is frowned upon :noway:

Not by me! However, you would probably get weird looks from me as I will most likely be biting my hand like Lenny from Laverne & Shirley.
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am also guilty of staring sometimes but only because I am looking at all the tattoos or trying to read one. Then I get lost in thoughts about what that tattoo means to that person and sometimes my "thinking face" looks like a scowl.

So, I would say, unless a person makes a direct, nasty comment to you or about you, don't assume they are staring because of negative thoughts.

^^This.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Oh for goodness sake. This thread is unreal. Heaven forbid anyone should look at us. Pierced, crazy hair, tattoos, weird skin growths, obese, extremely skinny, or just straight up ugly....we have all seen it all or been/had all of the things listed. No one cares! Yes you may get a strange look or what you perceive to be strange look but people move on and don't think twice about you and your own perceived weirdness.... But alas we always think people minds revolve around our existence, appearance, presence, everything is about SELF.
    Get over yourselves.

If you don't like the thread, then why did you stop by??! YOU get over YOURSELF. There's no need to trash what someone else thinks is an interesting topic. Would you butt into a conversation just to say " who cares!" even though they weren't talking to you? Or would you just roll your eyes and walk away.

You should just roll your eyes and go to another topic.
  • mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Only when I take my 4 kids out and they are misbehaving! :smile:
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    They don't look at me, they're too busy staring at my husband. :laugh: He's an upper body amputee and has a BeBionics3 prosthetic hand. It looks like a serious piece of badassery - think something the Terminator had under his skin.

http://bebionic.com/the_hand
  • mikelund
    mikelund Posts: 10
    Options
    Usually it's nothing personal, you just happened to look at them as they had a serious face on.
  • igor11
    igor11 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. Around here all the girls have long straight hair and wear yoga pants with t-shirts in the winter and teeny tiny shorts in the summer.
    I on the other hand, love summer dresses and vintage clothing and love going to thrift shops. I also have plenty of tats that with the right clothing are well hidden and people tell me the exact same thing "you don't look like the kind of girl who would have so many". ???? What the F is that supposed to mean? So suddenly I am a different person? Also, since my tats are mostly on my back and shoulders I also get the people who either just grab me to hold me steady to look ( I don't even know them) or stupidly say "can I see the rest" or "why get something that's not 100% visible". No you can't see the rest b/c I"d have to take my shirt off and my tats are for me, no one else. I'd also still have my piercings if my body hadn't rejected and pushed out all of them.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My son has severe autism, I don't mind staring. I assume they're just curious. It's the rude comments about things my son or I have no control over I could live without. I am also very tall. We stand out!
    I was at the store yesterday with my 5 year old daughter. An obese woman walked past and my daughter stared at her the whole time. I was just about to talk to her about it not being polite to stare (figuring she was staring at the woman's weight) when she said, "Momma, isn't her shirt beautiful?". I was so proud.

My daughter saw a woman with a lot of tattoos, hair dyed in a rainbow of colors, lots of piercings . . . She couldn't stop staring at her either. She ran up to her before I could stop her. "Your hair is amazing!! MOM! I want rainbow hair!" Then she asked her if she drew all the pictures on her arms. She asks for rainbow hair every year for her birthday. We keep buying her wigs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just an observation...

A lot of senior citizen bashing going on. What's that about?

It's about pots and kettles.
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    To respond to the original post, I don't generally get weird looks in public, but I'm usually in my own little world and don't really pay attention. I would like to note though that although my hair and clothes are pretty conservative, I do look (not stare!!!) at people with unusual or different hair cuts/colors, tattoos, and piercings. I suppose they may assume I am being judgemental but I'm really just admiring their individuality. I don't look at others in a rude way, I'm just noticing their differences and appreciating that. I hope I am not offending them in any way!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Not usually, not unless they think they know me, which happens a lot. Everyone knows someone with orange-red hair and freckles and surprisingly, a lot of them don't seem to remember what the person actually looks like besides the hair and freckles.

Other than that, I'm pretty average looking and I like it that way. I don't have a desire to pierce myself, get tattoos, wear outrageous clothing, or dye my hair a shocking color in order to draw people's attention, I like the way I look just fine and I prefer not to try to make myself stand out in order to get other people's attention because, quite frankly, I'm okay with being overlooked if the alternative is to make myself into a character in order to feel "interesting" to people. Everyone has their reasons I guess, but for the life of me I can't imagine why, if not for attention, someone would go overboard with specialty contacts and outrageous hair, I even understand tattoos more, something that means something to someone (not people who get any old junk put on their body).

And, just as an FYI, if I'm sitting on the train and I see someone across from me all done up in "overboard" mode I don't think of them as interesting, right or wrong, I think of them as desperate. If I see someone sitting across from me with a tastefully done tattoo, or who is dressed average with a twist, that's more interesting to me because they're not going crazy with it, they're just showing something about their personality in a tasteful way. I once ran into a girl with tattoos across her hand and going up her arm, they were small star outlines and it struck me as really beautiful, did she need to have piercings and wear crazy clothes or have her hair spiked and indigo? No, the simple little outline of those small stars curling up her arm was far more striking and years later I still remember it because it was truly unique. Do I remember that pierced goth kid on the bus? Heck no, he was just so unique he must have blended in with the other 800 goth kids I've seen.

So, in short - yeah, sometimes I get stared at, but not because I'm doing things to try to get people to look at me. Just because people think they know me from somewhere, and it doesn't bother me at all.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Not by me! However, you would probably get weird looks from me as I will most likely be biting my hand like Lenny from Laverne & Shirley.

LMAO!
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    All the time... I must say I'm more on the thick side but I love my body... I knw ppl think why.she got that on...simple answer I look good in it...
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I get looks aplenty these days. Could be one of many reasons, or a combo effect, who knows. I am on oxygen 24/7 at age 39 and have to take a portable tank with me so it could be that. I am partially covered in tattoos, so it could be that. I have bright red hair and a m very tall, and fat, so it could be that. I don't mind when the little ones stare, they know no better and most of the times, it like some of the posts above, they just like my tattoos or hair. I do get a little annoyed at the teenagers and younger adults that should know that it is rude. Really though, if they are staring at the tattoos, or my hair, that's all on me as I chose to put them there and have my hair that color, so stare on folks!! Only when they stare at the tube in my nose does it bother me......
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I get looks aplenty these days. Could be one of many reasons, or a combo effect, who knows. I am on oxygen 24/7 at age 39 and have to take a portable tank with me so it could be that. I am partially covered in tattoos, so it could be that. I have bright red hair and a m very tall, and fat, so it could be that. I don't mind when the little ones stare, they know no better and most of the times, it like some of the posts above, they just like my tattoos or hair. I do get a little annoyed at the teenagers and younger adults that should know that it is rude. Really though, if they are staring at the tattoos, or my hair, that's all on me as I chose to put them there and have my hair that color, so stare on folks!! Only when they stare at the tube in my nose does it bother me......

I read your profile, and just have to say that I so hope you get your transplant soon. Great job on the weight you've lost so far, and I wish you well! :flowerforyou:
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    Believe it or not, some of choose to look different than what's considered by most to be "normal" because we simply like the way it looks. Just as some women think long blonde hair, makeup, tanned skin, breast implants, and diamond rings are beautiful, I think my shaved head, flawed face, gauged ears, cycling tan lines, and increasingly tattooed body is beautiful. It has nothing to do with attention. It has everything to do with presenting a version of me that I like when I look in the mirror every morning. If people look at me, that's fine, but don't assume you know why I look the way I do.

Other thoughts. If I was doing this for attention, then I really suck at it as I have received more negative comments than anything (especially due to having a shaved head as a woman). Also, most people "mod" their body in some way: loosing fat, building muscle, tanning, hair coloring, manicures, plastic surgery, piercings, tattoos, etc. Any of these activities could be classified as attention seeking but I would hope that most people do it for themselves and not others.
  • CheyenneTLE10
    Options
    I make faces back. What do I care if they look at me funny, their problem not mine :happy:
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Just an observation...

A lot of senior citizen bashing going on. What's that about?

It's about pots and kettles.

Where I am from.... it seems like the older the individuals are..... the more immature or ignorant they seem.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    So let me get this right, you've gone out of your way to make yourself look different and then you don't like it when people look at you because you do look different? I'm not sure what else you expect to have happen.

to be treated like a "normal" human being and not stared at like they are a freak of nature?

Again, if he doesn't want people to look at him like he's a freak of nature, then he shouldn't make himself appear "freakish." That's a choice he is making. I'm not saying he should be poorly treated but if I see something that's outside of the norm, it's only natural that I take a second look, whether it be something strange or beautiful. It's human nature. I don't intentionally stare or comment but I'm sure my face expresses my thoughts. I have no problem with others being different, life would be boring if we were all the same. Just don't complain when you're intentionally being different and don't like the attention it brings.
  • RobynUnfiltered
    RobynUnfiltered Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Whatever man, think of it as a fan club!! People can be so confused by what is different they sometimes are not aware of the stare :) Just do you!