You're not "special"

Options

Replies

• RichOC
    RichOC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Come on man, you know all you need to do to lose weight is throw some cucumbers and fruit in water, add a little mint, and drink. The weight just falls off!!!
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I have noticed how disappointed people are when I tell them I lost weight by eating less and exercising more. I know they wanted me to tell them some magic diet I went on. They also don't like it when I say it took me 3 years to lose 40 pounds. They want to lose 40 pounds in 4 months.

I hate that too, so I started telling everybody that I lost weight by masturbating more. Nobody can be disappointed with that answer.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    *like*

Some will say that they have control though. Apparently people have control over their money and spending, yet the majority of people still live paycheck to paycheck or are just scrapping by.
    I know this is not the entire point of your post, but I'd like to add that saving money (or getting out of debt) and weight loss have very similar qualities. Both usually require small daily actions combined with long-term goals and commitment.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Yep.

7396232.png
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Took me wasting my money at Jenny Craig to learn that lesson. I lost 60 pounds...then gained it all back and more.

A person has to cultivate a good relationship with food..... to learn what is in it and what we can expect our bodies to do with it. And people have to expend energy to use that food. Do those 2 things and your body will reward you.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It is this simple, and many people here know this and calories in vs: calories out is what works.

However, we are all "special". The basic premise (in vs: out) works for most of us, but we have to discover our own path to follow that will lead us to accomplish our goals and help us continue leading a more healthy life style when we get to where we want to be to maintain our new, healthy way of living. We need to look at this as a new way of living and try not to revert back to bad habits when we reach our goals. Not an easy thing to do, as statistics show us.

Best of luck to all of the special people here!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Fad dieting nearly killed me.

Low fat blew out my gallbladder. It was suggested by my sister, the doctor. "Stay under 20 grams of fat." Yeah.

Low carb made me insane. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :huh:

Meridia (RX weight loss pill) caused my heart to flutter around and put me in the hospital with an endocrine system crash.

Orlistat: RX name of Alli, caused me to have caustic, burny liqui-poos. No spank you. :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

ViSalis Shakes (loaded with Splenda) gave me migraines for months until a good physician's assistant diagnosed the problem.

Now I just eat right, journal my food and exercise. I should write a book.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    *like*

Some will say that they have control though. Apparently people have control over their money and spending, yet the majority of people still live paycheck to paycheck or are just scrapping by.
    I know this is not the entire point of your post, but I'd like to add that saving money (or getting out of debt) and weight loss have very similar qualities. Both usually require small daily actions combined with long-term goals and commitment.

And this, TOTALLY. When I got my home in order and my finances in order and my life in order, I was also able to start losing weight. Go figure!

7396232.png
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    *like*

And this, TOTALLY. When I got my home in order and my finances in order and my life in order, I was also able to start losing weight. Go figure!

7396232.png

Me, too. On Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace, we paid off $151,000 in 17 months. Amazing. It taught me to slow down and see the big picture.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yer momma's special.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    What I am saying here is that unless one is suffering from a health issue or a reaction to certain foods, then eating a calorie deficit is what one needs to do to lose weight.

Not some special diet, supplement, concoction, shake, meal timing, carb manipulation, etc. All of them have one thing in common when trying to get one to lose weight.......................less calorie intake vs calories burned.

Don't think that you're NOT going to be the one who regains after getting off some special diet. 90% plus do and odds aren't in your favor.

What's the point here?

You don't NEED to spend extra money on carefully thought out diet plans that were concocted to make money for the seller.
    Just eat less and move a little more.

That's not to say you can't enhance your body with exercise, but it just boils down to calorie in/calories out when it comes to actual weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

+5
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I cringe when people say "I'm doing Such-and-Such Diet. I hope it works!" Or, "I just bought So-and-So's workout program. I think it's going to work." No. You are the one doing the work. Are you eating less and eating better quality? Are you exercising more efficiently? Then sure, you'll lose weight. Of course. But it's because YOU did something. Not because a video did something for you.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So true. I'm tired of seeing people on these forums give advice like "Well for ME, mfp wasn't working. I HAVE to cut out sugar to lose weight. Try cutting sugar out of your diet!" Again, unless you have a special medical condition, you don't HAVE to cut out anything to lose. And are you going to just never eat sugar again for the rest of your life?

And the scams you have to pay for are even worse.

I had someone recently tell me to go "low carb" because I was upset I had gained 3 lbs in a week (turned out to be water weight obviously) but it was frustrating that was the first thing someone jumped to :/ I'm not cutting out anything... I make better choices 80% of the time simply because it makes me feel better :) Besides I've heard low carb makes you feel drained and yucky :p Not a feeling I want to have for a lifetime :p
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    *like*

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    LIKE!!:drinker:
  • Shange_Gully
    Shange_Gully Posts: 106
    Options
    disagree

it's not that simple, metabolism plays a huge role- assuming one wants to get fairly lean and not just from fat to skinny fat.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Cue music, "I believe in magic, in a young girls heart..... and in diet and exercise, it's enough to make you fart...."

Oh, it can be a medley:

"Beans, beans, the magical fruit, the more you toot, the more you toot, the better you feel, so eat your bean at every meal!"

"ooooooooh" (transition)

"Got brass in pocket
    Got bottle, I'm gonna use it
    Intention, I feel inventive
    Gonna make you, make you, make you notice"

(Everybody sing!)

"Cuz I, gonna make you see
    There's nobody else here
    No one like me
    I'm special, so special
    I gotta have some of that magic diet stuff
    Give it to me "
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It's all 5:2 at my workplace at the moment.

Their eyes glaze over when I tell them it's taken me almost 18 months to get half way.

Gah! Veg and running, not Slimfast! But they don't want to hear it.

A colleague went on a 'bikini body' diet for her holiday (that she's on at the moment) and although she wasn't big at all (UK 12) she spent weeks eating nowt but oranges, cabbage soup and hotdogs. What a miserable process - I don't doubt she'll have put it back on with churros and beer over the next fortnight.

I'm actually great at managing my money and tight budget...what I wasn't always good at is not cramming crisps in my trap.

ETA: In my case it is my pesky 'glands' and medication that is *partly* responsible for the svelte physique I carry, and they have slowed the weight loss, but the basis principle of eating less and doing more still stands.
  • Agannon0728
    Agannon0728 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Agree if I get one more person trying to hook me on shakeology... :noway: I even told one, "Sorry, I don't do fads". They actually tried to give me a lecture on why it wasn't a fad... :grumble:

I LOVE SHAKEOLOGY :) i must say that it is the BEST protein powder out there!!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Agree if I get one more person trying to hook me on shakeology... :noway: I even told one, "Sorry, I don't do fads". They actually tried to give me a lecture on why it wasn't a fad... :grumble:

I LOVE SHAKEOLOGY :) i must say that it is the BEST protein powder out there!!

NO.