I have a vagina.

Options
UnwrappingCandy
UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
The fact that I have a vagina is not going to keep me from posting in the heterosexist threads that are titled with 'men, what do you think?', 'Guys only.', or any other similar titles. Those are not titles that somehow magically keep women from entering. Also, when I see a thread that says 'women only' or something similar I just expect there to be men commenting in the thread. This is the internet, and this is how it has been for quite some time now. Usually there's not a problem with this because it's simply what most long-time internet users expect.

So, I will keep commenting in the threads that ask men what they are attracted to because amazingly I am a vagina-having person attracted to other vagina-having persons and some of what I am attracted to men are also. My opinion is not made irrelevant simply because I have a vagina or because I like other vaginas.

Or should MFP start enforcing sex segregation in those threads? What if someone were to post a thread with 'White opinions only!' as the thread title and a black person commented? Should we have skin colour segregation as well?

How do you feel about the heterosexist threads that are so common in the MFP chit chat forum? Do you have a problem with someone posting in a thread if they are of the opposite sex the OP is requesting opinions from? Why? Why not?

Have a brilliant day.

Cheers,

Candy

Edit: typo

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks putting "XYZ Only" in thread title will keep out those not meeting the stated criteria does not understand human nature. :smile:

I don't care if women post in a thread for men, or the other way around. If you have something relevant to say, then by all means do it.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I think you're taking this a little too seriously, this is Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games the land of " would you bang, rate /10, do dfg to the person above you"
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    While I personally do not get the need to ask members of an online site what people of the opposite likes as in my opinion, their opinions are irrelevant. However, if you are so inclined, it is natural to ask the sex that you are attracted to.

That being said, it never stops the non-requested sex from giving input.

In all honesty though, I am really just posting so this shows up on my feed!
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I usually don't respond to those threads because the small-minded nature of trying to exclude 1/2 of the population just based upon genitals is ridiculous. I supposed gay men are allowed to respond but not lesbians? *eyeroll* But I agree with you. I am attracted to women and men, so if I had a strong feeling about my personal answer to questions like that I would respond anyway.

BTW, for me, short skirt/dress and boots does it every time. :love:
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I think it is about how relevant you and your experience are on the topic. I can ask you on tips on hitting on women or on sex with women but that won't help me as much because you have a different perspective that might not work as well for me.

Don't get me wrong your input might br invaluable to the issue but might not meet the criteria for the demographic the poster is targeting.
  • UnwrappingCandy
    Options
    I think you're taking this a little too seriously, this is Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games the land of " would you bang, rate /10, do dfg to the person above you"

I disagree. I think someone trying to make a woman feel irrelevant in a thread simply because the thread is directed at receiving male opinions is taking things a little too seriously.

By the way, 6/10 would bang, great chest and abdomen. :P
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I think there are an equal number of threads entitled *WOMEN ONLY*. I don't really think it's a sexist thing.
  • UnwrappingCandy
    Options
    I usually don't respond to those threads because the small-minded nature of trying to exclude 1/2 of the population just based upon genitals is ridiculous. I supposed gay men are allowed to respond but not lesbians? *eyeroll* But I agree with you. I am attracted to women and men, so if I had a strong feeling about my personal answer to questions like that I would respond anyway.

BTW, for me, short skirt/dress and boots does it every time. :love:

That does it for me sometimes, but not every time. I definitely LOVE the professional look. (And I don't mean prostitute) lol

And yeah, heterosexism and really sexism as well are both rampant here on MFP. I am just doing my part to change that a little I guess.
  • UnwrappingCandy
    Options
    I think there are an equal number of threads entitled *WOMEN ONLY*. I don't really think it's a sexist thing.

O_o I have a feel that you didn't read my entire post.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I am not getting the point.
  • thatgirlLeah
    thatgirlLeah Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I confess: I once prefaced a status update (admittedly different from a forum thread) with a request for my gentlemen friends to cease reading as I had an unladylike NSV to share. I assume ALL of my male friends read that post but I did appreciate them upholding the facade of decorum by not responding. :flowerforyou:

Ps. Where's the curtsying smiley?
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt that the creators of these threads really expect the exclusion to hold. In fact, I think the opposite happens. Nothing draws one faster to a thread than being told you can't participate ...
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    ...and you'd think you could find something better to do with it on a Sunday morning than to start this silly thread.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    While I personally do not get the need to ask members of an online site what people of the opposite likes as in my opinion, their opinions are irrelevant. However, if you are so inclined, it is natural to ask the sex that you are attracted to.

That being said, it never stops the non-requested sex from giving input.

In all honesty though, I am really just posting so this shows up on my feed!

Exactly! I also just want this to show up on my feed!! :p
  • UnwrappingCandy
    Options

The point is that this is the internet and trying to exclude 1/2 of the population from commenting just doesn't work, shouldn't work, and it's pretty silly to expect such a thread title to keep the other half from commenting. It's even more silly when you're not even the OP and you're actually trying to enforce the sex segregation the thread title demands. It's just silly.
  • UnwrappingCandy
    Options
    ...and you'd think you could find something better to do with it on a Sunday morning than to start this silly thread.

It's Sunday afternoon here. I am good to go. Thanks for your concern.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Bump..because I need to have this on my feed. :drinker:
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I basically ignore threads that limit who can participate...

I believe that it is always good to hear from both women and men...
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options

Me either. Exclusionary titles are like flashing attention beacons, calling to me to post my opionion. Also, I had no idea there was something called "Heterosexism". Wasn't there enough stuff in these forums to get butt hurt about already?

Oh, and really, i'm just here so this shows up in my news feed...
This discussion has been closed.