Milk???

Options

Replies

• norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've never drank more than a sip of almond milk (straight, to see what it taste like), and I like it a lot. I just never have a desire to drink milk unless I have something really sweet, and I rarely have a sweet tooth. In saying that, I use almond milk every morning in my smoothies, and it works great.

My fiance likes it in his smoothies, but says it doesn't play well with his coffee, so we use half & half for that.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Good Idea! Milk (COWS) is sooo bad for humAN CONSUMPTION! It does nothing for our bones we cant even absorb the "calcium" we are supposedly getting from it..It actually depletes the calcium from your bones....Stick with Almond milk...make your own if you have to

Sources for your claims?

Source: Feskanich D, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA. Milk, dietary calcium, and bone fractures in women: a 12-year prospective study. American Journal of Public Health. 1997).

"CONCLUSIONS:

These data do not support the hypothesis that higher consumption of milk or other food sources of calcium by adult women protects against hip or forearm fractures."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9224182

Not preventing fractures and actively causing them are two completely different things.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Good Idea! Milk (COWS) is sooo bad for humAN CONSUMPTION! It does nothing for our bones we cant even absorb the "calcium" we are supposedly getting from it..It actually depletes the calcium from your bones....Stick with Almond milk...make your own if you have to

Sources for your claims?

Source: Feskanich D, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA. Milk, dietary calcium, and bone fractures in women: a 12-year prospective study. American Journal of Public Health. 1997).

"CONCLUSIONS:

These data do not support the hypothesis that higher consumption of milk or other food sources of calcium by adult women protects against hip or forearm fractures."

Not preventing fractures and actively causing them are two completely different things.

Man! Yall are different! Would you feed you kitten you wife's breast milk? No of course you wouldnt so why do you think a cow would want to feed you milk for their babies???
    Its bad..Show me proof that it does the body good!...and I will wait cause there is none! None at all!!!
    Cows have 4 stomach(1 with 4 chambers) but common sense would tell you hey maybe theres something in the cows stomachses lol that would allow them to digest the milk!!! But no! you wanna play Captain try-some-milk...Do whatever all I know is if you child is has an ear infection take away that milk and about bet the ear infection would go away too.. *Drops Mic* lolol
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone- I'm thinking seriously about cutting out milk. Currently, I drink 8-12 oz. a day of 1%. I LOVE MILK- and this is a reduction in what I used to drink- 24 to 32 oz a day-of whole or 2%. I'd love to hear folks opinions about milk and whether milk substitutes like almond milk have helped with that craving. Thank you for any feedback!

I see you're drinking one percent. Is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to.

I must be tired and missing something (long day), but what do you mean by "'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not" when the op has almost 100 Ibs to lose? Genuinely curious. I will be analysing this all night, haha.
  • CRizxle81
    CRizxle81 Posts: 1
    Options
    Rather than cutting out milk, cut out yogurt. Milk helps grow muscle tone
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've never liked milk. I keep a small container around...sometimes...for cereal and baking. But it usually goes bad. I prefer Silk brand coconut milk, original. Unfortunately the grocery stores in the town I live in stopped carrying it. I was probably the only one buying it (it's a whole milk/red meat/bread/what are vegetables kind of town). I buy the unsweetened Silk almond milk now. But mostly I don't even need it for anything.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone- I'm thinking seriously about cutting out milk. Currently, I drink 8-12 oz. a day of 1%. I LOVE MILK- and this is a reduction in what I used to drink- 24 to 32 oz a day-of whole or 2%. I'd love to hear folks opinions about milk and whether milk substitutes like almond milk have helped with that craving. Thank you for any feedback!

I see you're drinking one percent. Is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to.

I must be tired and missing something (long day), but what do you mean by "'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not" when the op has almost 100 Ibs to lose? Genuinely curious. I will be analysing this all night, haha.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmOzSNKqjaY
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

Napoleon Dynamite
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmOzSNKqjaY

From one of the funniest movies ever!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I like milk - and buttermilk! and kefir! - but drink little of it now because it has a lot of calories. I rarely eat cheese or bread either, although I haven't 'dropped' either.

I now drink 8 oz every few days - skim. Or skim milk buttermilk. I do make my own cheese (mozarella, cheddar, gouda, paneer) from whole milk, but eat it in little .5 oz pieces.

That's just me. Why are you thinking about dropping it?
  • shell1379
    shell1379 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Milk is good for you unless your lactose intolerant but I cut out whole milk about 10 years ago and drink only skim milk which is good for you especially if you a female.
  • jnowak21
    jnowak21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it was brought up but I didn't read through all of the replies. I love coconut milk and it is much better for you. There are some studies that suggest that humans should not drink cow milk. I'm not a nutritionist and my doctor disagrees with this statement but I have noticed for me and my kids we've felt much better after switching. :)
  • amandab1979
    amandab1979 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love skim milk, full cream is too rich for me. I drink at least 500ml a day with my protein shakes, I drink it because I love it and for the calcium boost.

Not sure if this is an old wives tale but I have been told that milk helps with skin elasticity when you're losing weight.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I don't like milk. Since I was a young person, most of the time milk tastes "off" to me, like it's starting to sour. Greek yogurt tastes full on sour, and more than a serving or two of most cheeses starts to taste funny in my mouth.

That being said, if you like milk, I've never heard a real reason not to drink it.

PS: That argument about us being the only creatures on earth to drink another animal's milk? Not so true. I have cats and dogs who are more than happy to drink cow milk. If they were clever enough to obtain it themselves, I'm quite sure they would insist on it.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Sources for your claims?

"CONCLUSIONS:

Man! Yall are different! Would you feed you kitten you wife's breast milk? No of course you wouldnt so why do you think a cow would want to feed you milk for their babies???
    Its bad..Show me proof that it does the body good!...and I will wait cause there is none! None at all!!!
    Cows have 4 stomach(1 with 4 chambers) but common sense would tell you hey maybe theres something in the cows stomachses lol that would allow them to digest the milk!!! But no! you wanna play Captain try-some-milk...Do whatever all I know is if you child is has an ear infection take away that milk and about bet the ear infection would go away too.. *Drops Mic* lolol

lol wut?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you love milk drink it!
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It may not sound right coming from me, but milk really ISN'T needed in the diet. The main reason people drink it is because of calcium. However calcium can be derived from many other sources.
    If I'm being unbiased in my research, there is really no scientific studies showing that people who don't have dairy in their diets suffer from lack of calcium.
    Now that's NOT to say don't have it if you like it. Personally I would NEVER give up yogurt, cheese and ice cream.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm with you-I don't drink milk but get my calcium from other dairy products or other food. Just a personal preference-I can't stand the taste of milk blech!
  • snoopycool
    snoopycool Posts: 37
    Options
    I gave up all dairy but yogurt a few months ago after it started making me sick. I drink almond milk and love it.
  • littlelady2b
    littlelady2b Posts: 104
    Options
    someone told me to think about it this way... after that milk grossed me out. We are the only species on the planet that drinks anothers milk.... I dont eat any dairy! Althought i love it, i am not lactose intolerant either but being a nutritionist and personal trainer i dont recommend it to any clients. The body does not function well with dairy. It stores the fat between the muscle and skin and makes it harder to lose actual body fat.

If you are a nutritionist and personal trainer you should be rethinking what you just posted for one thing we drink another's milk, we eat another's meat and so on so your comment makes no sense unless you are vegan which then I understand and respect that choice but at the same time you have to remain open to others likes and needs when giving professional advice. In my research during my kinesiology training I learned a lot and have since found this:

According to the National Dairy Council, milk is filled with nine essential nutrients that benefit our health:

Calcium: Builds healthy bones and teeth; maintains bone mass
    Protein: Serves as a source of energy; builds/repairs muscle tissue
    Potassium: Helps maintain a healthy blood pressure
    Phosphorus: Helps strengthen bones and generate energy
    Vitamin D: Helps maintain bones
    Vitamin B12: Maintains healthy red blood cells and nerve tissue
    Vitamin A: Maintains the immune system; helps maintain normal vision and skin
    Riboflavin (B2): Converts food into energy
    Niacin: Metabolizes sugars and fatty acids
    In other words, milk packs quite a punch when it comes to nutrition—and you don't have to drink a gallon to reap the benefits, the National Dairy Council says. In fact, the council says that just one 8-ounce glass of milk provides the same amount of vitamin D you'd get from 3.5 ounces of cooked salmon, as much calcium as 2 1/4 cups of broccoli, as much potassium as a small banana, as much vitamin A as two baby carrots and as much phosphorus as a cup of kidney beans!

Milk and Weight Loss

All of these nutrients contribute to our overall health and wellness, and they can even play a part in weight loss, says Dr. Brian Roy, an associate professor of applied health sciences at Canada's Brock University.

Dr. Roy published a study on the impact milk has on the body post-exercise. While he admits there's some controversy surrounding milk's influence on weight loss and body fat in general, he also shares that recent studies have shown that when milk was consumed by young adults after weight training, they lost more body fat and gained more muscle mass than those who had consumed different drinks that contained the same energy and macronutrients.

There is a difference between professional research, peer reviewed articles and someone's opinion at the same time you do have a right to your opinion and this is not meant to offend you, you have every right not to like milk and to believe what you want about it. I just feel in a public forum being a milk drinker myself and a dairy lover who is losing weight I would also include some positive and realistic information about it as well.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It may not sound right coming from me, but milk really ISN'T needed in the diet. The main reason people drink it is because of calcium. However calcium can be derived from many other sources.
    If I'm being unbiased in my research, there is really no scientific studies showing that people who don't have dairy in their diets suffer from lack of calcium.
    Now that's NOT to say don't have it if you like it. Personally I would NEVER give up yogurt, cheese and ice cream.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

True. If you want to drink it, fine. But don't let anyone tell you it's something you need. There are other ways to get your calcium. Excellent marketing has led people to believe that dairy is a necessary component for good health, but it's not. I'm personally a huge fan of cheese, but since I can't tolerate casein (milk protein) I've had to cut it out of my life. I don't miss the milk at all, though. It always kind of grossed me out anyway. :cry:

Unsweetened almond milk has zero sugar and 50% MORE calcium than cow's milk if you'd like to give it a try. It's got very little protein, but there are plenty of other ways to get your protein. When I want a little sweetness I add some stevia. :drinker: