Is giving up diet soda really worth it?

Options

Replies

• Cheetahgirl88
    Cheetahgirl88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There are scientific studies. As well, as a scientist, I know for a fact that the chemicals in diet soda (and some in all sodas) have negative effects on the bodies metabolic systems. The studies are there if you do the research!
    I think that people tend to think if something is good then it must be bad. They then create stories to support their beliefs. If there were quality scientific studies saying that diet drinks have negative consequences, then I would give diet drinks up. Otherwise, I am not. Also know, we all have been wrong in our lives and I may be wrong. If so, then studies will let us know.
  • sonymacaroni11
    sonymacaroni11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i think it is worth it to quit. just read the label and you'll see what a chemical cocktail it is. after quitting a 10+ year diet coke habit, i legitimately feel better. i have not lost any noticeable weight (but i also quit smoking soon after, so maybe they balanced out), but my body FEELS better. my sense of taste also improved, and i've cut back on my sweets now that i can really taste them. though i still love coffee, my caffeine need is also reduced.

for a soda substitute, try cranberry juice (or any other) + citrus seltzer water. i mix about 1/4 to 1/2 cup juice to one can of seltzer water. the carbonation will always be bad for your teeth, but it puts good things (cranberries, water) in rather than bad (weird chemicals).
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    There are scientific studies. As well, as a scientist, I know for a fact that the chemicals in diet soda (and some in all sodas) have negative effects on the bodies metabolic systems. The studies are there if you do the research!
    I think that people tend to think if something is good then it must be bad. They then create stories to support their beliefs. If there were quality scientific studies saying that diet drinks have negative consequences, then I would give diet drinks up. Otherwise, I am not. Also know, we all have been wrong in our lives and I may be wrong. If so, then studies will let us know.

if you have phenylketonuria?

http://cdnutritionandfitness.com/aspartame-is-the-devil/
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    If it's the caffeine you miss, try black coffee or tea (iced if you prefer a cold drink). Caffeine isn't so bad; it has neuroprotective effects. It's the other crap in diet soda that you may want to avoid.
  • hustona1
    hustona1 Posts: 14
    Options
    Has been the best decision of my life is to quit drinking soda, it's been 7 years. The only time I even require soda if rare at that is in mixed drinks otherwise I drink beer. I lost weight immediately and replaced the caffeine need in coffee & tea.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is known to cause joint issues

Nope.
    I just have to ask...which soda company do you work for?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Nope.

If you look through my posting history, you'd probably think I work for Coca-Cola, McDonald's, Taco Bell, Talenti, Fitbit, Five Guys, and Kellogg's.

I don't. I value reality and intellectual integrity, and take issue with spurious claims about anything. I'm the sort of guy who, in political debates, constantly gets accused of being both a Democrat and Republican by different people at different times because I criticize invalid or illogical arguments from either side.
  • rachseby
    Options
    Go to nih.gov. There is a lot of research. Some says that aspartame is safe, some says it isn't. Personally, I don't think that in moderation it poses significant risks. But I don't think that I'd go crazy with it either. If I was taking any medication, or had any health issues, I would definitely discuss that with my provider.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    yes
  • wascls
    wascls Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit diet soda back in December of 2012 after trying to "cut back" and going through aspartame withdraw anyway. So I just cut it. Boy was I a bear for about a week. I only use truvia for my coffee. I feel a million times better. I have more energy, my stomach acid problems have decreased, as have the chronic under eye cirlces and exhaustion. I also see a HUGE reduction in sugar cravings/munchies! I'm finally maintaining my weight with diet and exercise and now starting to lose!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Go to nih.gov. There is a lot of research. Some says that aspartame is safe, some says it isn't. Personally, I don't think that in moderation it poses significant risks. But I don't think that I'd go crazy with it either. If I was taking any medication, or had any health issues, I would definitely discuss that with my provider.

Please, link me to some research that shows aspartame is "unsafe." In particular, please link me to some research that establishes that aspartame causes joint issues, because that's what you accused me of having an undisclosed financial bias over.
  • rachseby
    Options

Nope.

If you look through my posting history, you'd probably think I work for Coca-Cola, McDonald's, Taco Bell, Talenti, Fitbit, Five Guys, and Kellogg's.

I don't. I value reality and intellectual integrity, and take issue with spurious claims about anything. I'm the sort of guy who, in political debates, constantly gets accused of being both a Democrat and Republican by different people at different times because I criticize invalid or illogical arguments from either side.

I actually just researched aspartame on nih.gov. It does seem that they have found it to be safe, but they also found that it could increase appetite (a side effect I can do without!) But I also wonder (without wanting to sound paranoid) about the politics behind the entire issue. Whose interests are the most served by declaring it to be safe? I think that most things are safe in moderation (except crack) and anything could have negative side effects if abused. Taco Bell is just nasty though. :happy:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Nope.

I actually just researched aspartame on nih.gov. It does seem that they have found it to be safe, but they also found that it could increase appetite (a side effect I can do without!) But I also wonder (without wanting to sound paranoid) about the politics behind the entire issue. Whose interests are the most served by declaring it to be safe? I think that most things are safe in moderation (except crack) and anything could have negative side effects if abused. Taco Bell is just nasty though. :happy:

I have no idea what you mean by "they have found it to be safe." Who has found it to be safe? That's not how science works, even remotely. A scientific experiment can look for a correlative and/or causative link between aspartame and some particular outcome, good or bad. You can't design an experiment to determine whether it's "safe" or not.

Aspartame has, to my knowledge, not been shown to cause any negative health outcome. There's no reason to give it up if you like it.
  • rachseby
    Options

Please, link me to some research that shows aspartame is "unsafe." In particular, please link me to some research that establishes that aspartame causes joint issues, because that's what you accused me of having an undisclosed financial bias over.

Here's one..granted, it is on rats...
    Effect of long term intake of aspartame on antioxidant defense status in liver.
    Abhilash M, Paul MV, Varghese MV, Nair RH.
    Source
    School of Biosciences, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala 686560, India.
    Abstract
    The present study evaluates the effect of long term intake of aspartame, the artificial sweetener, on liver antioxidant system and hepatocellular injury in animal model. Eighteen adult male Wistar rats, weighing 150-175 g, were randomly divided into three groups as follows: first group was given aspartame dissolved in water in a dose of 500 mg/kg b.wt.; the second group was given a dose of 1000 mg/kg b.wt.; and controls were given water freely. Rats that had received aspartame (1000 mg/kg b.wt.) in the drinking water for 180 days showed a significant increase in activities of alanine aminotransferase (ALT), aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alkaline phosphatase (ALP) and γ-glutamyl transferase (GGT). The concentration of reduced glutathione (GSH) and the activity of glutathione peroxidase (GPx), and glutathione reductase (GR) were significantly reduced in the liver of rats that had received aspartame (1000 mg/kg b.wt.). Glutathione was significantly decreased in both the experimental groups. Histopathological examination revealed leukocyte infiltration in aspartame-treated rats (1000 mg/kg b.wt.).

**It can be concluded from these observations that long term consumption of aspartame leads to hepatocellular injury and alterations in liver antioxidant status mainly through glutathione dependent system.**

Copyright © 2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
    PMID: 21376768 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I love the "logic" of advocating something that is universally accepted as bad for you (like pop) just because it doesn't noticeably impair your health (so far), therefore concluding that it must be healthy!

"My grandpa smoked for 50 years and didn't get lung cancer, so cigarettes must be safe! My cousin ate a bowl of lead paint chips each morning for breakfast when he was a child and he's in great shape! Come on, show me a study that conclusively states that cigarettes and lead paint are bad for you - and when you do, I'll still claim that they are good for you, because I'm a contrarian that that really loves to argue!"
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I completely gave up soda 3 years ago. One of the best choices I have made. I lost 15 pounds at the time simply from cutting soda. Plus after quitting it I actually had more energy, felt like I could do more things like exercise and all those caffeine withdrawal symptoms went away after awhile. Once I replaced all the soda with water my skin and hair looked better, my mood was better, I slept better and had more energy. So I'd say yes it is totally worth it.

Yes giving up regular pop will help you drop weight but that is your lowered sugar intake...diet soda on the other hand...eh....I have them in my house all the time...

I have one rule...no pop until I drink my water tho so I have it in the evening with ice...not every day but sometimes it's a nice refreshing change with all that fizz....and of course I need somethign to put my alcohol in as well...
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I finally quit 2 months ago. Really tough for about 1 week. But, it was worth it!

Drinking diet soda actually made me crave junk food and fast food - go figure!
  • jonnythan
    Options

Here's one..granted, it is on rats...
    Effect of long term intake of aspartame on antioxidant defense status in liver.
    Abhilash M, Paul MV, Varghese MV, Nair RH.
    Source
    School of Biosciences, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala 686560, India.
    Abstract
    The present study evaluates the effect of long term intake of aspartame, the artificial sweetener, on liver antioxidant system and hepatocellular injury in animal model. Eighteen adult male Wistar rats, weighing 150-175 g, were randomly divided into three groups as follows: first group was given aspartame dissolved in water in a dose of 500 mg/kg b.wt.; the second group was given a dose of 1000 mg/kg b.wt.; and controls were given water freely. Rats that had received aspartame (1000 mg/kg b.wt.) in the drinking water for 180 days showed a significant increase in activities of alanine aminotransferase (ALT), aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alkaline phosphatase (ALP) and γ-glutamyl transferase (GGT). The concentration of reduced glutathione (GSH) and the activity of glutathione peroxidase (GPx), and glutathione reductase (GR) were significantly reduced in the liver of rats that had received aspartame (1000 mg/kg b.wt.). Glutathione was significantly decreased in both the experimental groups. Histopathological examination revealed leukocyte infiltration in aspartame-treated rats (1000 mg/kg b.wt.).

**It can be concluded from these observations that long term consumption of aspartame leads to hepatocellular injury and alterations in liver antioxidant status mainly through glutathione dependent system.**

Copyright © 2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
    PMID: 21376768 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Those rats were given the aspartame equivalent of about 400 cans of Diet Coke all at once every day for six months. It looks like the rats that were given 200 cans of Diet Coke per day for six months showed no difference from the control, interestingly.