I feel like giving up.

Options

Replies

• ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I pay $42 a month for a gym membership and haven't been since the end of April :-) Walk, run, move, grab some friends and do some "Indian runs" for interval training, YouTube has tons of videos for free :-) On long drives I do crunches :-)
    Your motivation should be how you feel, not what others think you should feel. Try something...if it works GREAT....if it doesn't, try something different! Look to your friends who support you if you have to. If I get into a rut, I also use this site to build a workout http://workoutlabs.com/ . It has free printable workouts that let you target your areas you need to. :-)
    Do your own research and quit listening to those around you. Every single body is different and you need to find what works for you. One person eats clean and loses weight, I eat chocolate every day and I lose weight. Find the plan that you will do and make it work for you. And mostly, be happy with who you are and celbrate the small successes! It's all worth the hard work and much harder to start again if you give up this time.
    Good luck to you!!! :-)
    Beth
  • Lemongiggles
    Lemongiggles Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrock.tv/2012/01/02/day-1-of-our-30-day-challenge-fit-test/ I love this site. Lisa- Marie is super motivating. Like my mom says, the weight didn't get there over night, and losing it won't leave overnight either. Don't give up, just switch your workout up!
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279
    Options
    Sorry but everybody saying its not enough is right.walking is not really any workout.need to step up your game,watch your diet..for toning you will have to do lot of sweating.good luck

I call "BS" on this.

<~~~ this take a hell of alot more then walking. Sorry but i call BS on your BS. You want tone thighs and a tone bum Squat go out and get a $12 workout dvd and $14 weights if you cant right now then google "workouts without weights." Dont give up, find a way to acheive thats what everyone else here has done instead of walking run.
  • ldilone13354
    ldilone13354 Posts: 125
    Options
    My guess is you misinterpreted what people were saying when they said, "No."

You can't spot reduce fat. It comes off where it comes off, and often our "problem areas" are the places they come off last.

Walking is okay cardio if you can walk at a pace to raise your heart rate, and raising your heart rate is what makes it cardio.

As for "toning," I'm not sure what you're necessarily doing--by butt and thigh workouts, are you doing body weight-style aerobics? That'll be mildly strengthening to your muscles and predominantly cardio... again, which is fine.

Quicker/more noticeable changes in your thighs/butt/body overall will come from a bit more "oomph," like weight lifting and HIIT for cardio. Yoga/pilates is good step before these, though, in terms of cardio and body weight training.

If you're looking to just target making your thighs/butt smaller, you ultimately just have to keep eating at a deficit and, ideally, incorporate strength training and some cardio.

Do you think if I do 50 squats every other day that my thighs can get firm and nice? I just did the 10 minute workout for my butt and thighs and it really didnt do much.
  • jushanna
    jushanna Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keep going hun. Everything works different for everybody. Make what you have access to work for you. Keep up the good work! See you at the finish line.
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    Sorry but everybody saying its not enough is right.walking is not really any workout.need to step up your game,watch your diet..for toning you will have to do lot of sweating.good luck

I call "BS" on this.

<~~~ this take a hell of alot more then walking. Sorry but i call BS on your BS. You want tone thighs and a tone bum Squat go out and get a $12 workout dvd and $14 weights if you cant right now then google "workouts without weights." Dont give up, find a way to acheive thats what everyone else here has done instead of walking run.

I'm going to take your advice. Tomorrow morning I'm going for a run. I own 5 pounds dumbells so do you think if I do 50 squats every other day and also run that I should see improvement?
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I worked out 5 times a week for 8 months with zero weight loss but noticiably trimmer in the waist line.

Then I started logging calories and started losing weight at an amazing pace. Counting calories works as long as your honest about how much you exercise, your level of activity and how big your portions are. (Fair warning... I've gained quite a bit of it back after I fell off the wagon)

Don't give up! If you're in HS, try signing up for active clubs like running or something. If you want a gym, look into your local community center. Running is the best thing you can do for yourself. You never need a gym because the world is your gym. All you need is shoes! A Heart rate monitor and music player would be nice, too.

It sounds like you want to target your weightloss to a particular body part. Unfortunately, your body/genetics determine where the weightloss happens. The only thing you can do is keep up with your program.

Here's a great article on strength training: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Also, if you want some free workouts, look for them on YouTube.

You have a lot of different directions that you can go. On MFP, you'll get a lot of conflicting advice. Map out a routine that you can maintain and enjoy and then stick with it. Good luck! And don't give up!
  • BurningAway
    Options

You can't spot reduce fat. It comes off where it comes off, and often our "problem areas" are the places they come off last.

Walking is okay cardio if you can walk at a pace to raise your heart rate, and raising your heart rate is what makes it cardio.

As for "toning," I'm not sure what you're necessarily doing--by butt and thigh workouts, are you doing body weight-style aerobics? That'll be mildly strengthening to your muscles and predominantly cardio... again, which is fine.

Quicker/more noticeable changes in your thighs/butt/body overall will come from a bit more "oomph," like weight lifting and HIIT for cardio. Yoga/pilates is good step before these, though, in terms of cardio and body weight training.

If you're looking to just target making your thighs/butt smaller, you ultimately just have to keep eating at a deficit and, ideally, incorporate strength training and some cardio.

Do you think if I do 50 squats every other day that my thighs can get firm and nice? I just did the 10 minute workout for my butt and thighs and it really didnt do much.

A 10 minute workout is going to take a long time for you to see results. You need to be consistant your expectations seem a bit unrealistic, it take alot of time to tone. A month at the very least.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Squats are probably the best move you can do for thighs/butt. 50 of your own bodyweight's probably fine, but if you can manage to do them weighted (barbell or dumbbell), you can do even less with more results (I think I take less than 10 minutes squatting three sets of five repetitions with 135 lbs, though I currently am in a deload and just squatting 90 lbs. I worked up to all of this.) Just look up "squats" or even "how to make my butt bigger" threads on here--tons of women always end up posting pictures showing their results (my legs in my profile pic are predominantly from squatting and deadlifts).

Remember: Squatting is strengthening those muscles, but firming is two-fold: strengthening and/or building muscle PLUS a calorie deficit to help lose the fat. Be patient with both and you'll get results.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I honestly feel like giving up. I posted a topic asking if my routine which is walking and also doing but and thigh workouts would help because of my flabby thighs and everybody says no. I just lost all my motivation. What's the point then? I can't afford a gym because I don't work and yes I've applied and nobody is hiring because I'm still in high school and I don't have my diploma yet.

This is how I look
    My body in a bathing suit - http://i.imgur.com/uAvHi2f.jpg
    My body I'n clothes - http://i.imgur.com/xfk0Ytw.jpg

I do have strech marks also which make my thighs even more flabby looking. It's gross. I just lost all my motivation.

Giving up? - Giving up is easy. But are you seriously going to be happy if you just give up? I'm pretty sure the answer to that question is no. In the last thread you posted, you actually got a great list of options to choose from.

What's the point? - The general idea is to be healthy. Also, any form of exercise will help boost your mood and help you feel better.

No money for gym? - I don't have a job either. Does that mean I give up? Hell no! It means I look into ways that I can exercise RIGHT in my home, which again was mentioned in your last thread.

Walking is not going to help you tone, but it is a good idea to get cardio in for your heart (again, healthy!) If you want to tone, I suggest strength training. You don't HAVE to go to a gym to do this, you can easily do it right in your own living room. Look up body-weight exercises. I'm assuming you have access to the internet, as you are posting on here, so look up youtube videos.

Fitness blender has tons of all different exercise videos, cardio videos, strength training videos, yoga, Pilates, stretching. I <3 them.

If your looking for some intense work-outs, look up ZuzkaLight on youtube. I also <3 her videos, they kick my *kitten*.

Jillian Michaels has some cheap DVD's out. She even has a butt and thigh work-out!

Bigolates on you-tube also has some pretty intense work-outs too.

BeFit and Livestrong are a couple others.

There are lots of options you can choose from to help tone without having to go to the gym, all you have to do is a little research. Many of the listed above have butt and thigh work-outs to specifically target that area, and usually the only thing you might need are some dumbbells which aren't that expensive, and maybe a chair to balance on.

Also, I suggest full-body toning. I'm sure you'd love your abs and arms to look awesome as well. :)
  • BurningAway
    Options

I call "BS" on this.

I'm going to take your advice. Tomorrow morning I'm going for a run. I own 5 pounds dumbells so do you think if I do 50 squats every other day and also run that I should see improvement?

I think if your consistant and do squats with your weights you will see results, you have dumbells look up jillian micheals 30 day shred on youtube follow that program and in a month you will have what you want IF your at a calorie deficit and IF you stay consistant.
  • kumitekg
    kumitekg Posts: 61
    Options

I don't really like posting on these boards, but I had to answer this one - Walking is not really any workout? It sure felt like it was when I did my 1.25 hour power walk this weekend (pumping my arms and even throwing in some upper body twisting) ... My legs and butt were aching when I was done and there certainly was "a lot of sweating" involved. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think she said she was going for a stroll to the corner store. Besides it just making me feel great, I can't imagine it not being considered any workout or having any benefit. And sometimes, it's all you can get to. It might not be the "toning" she was looking for (I can't opine on that since I am far from an expert), but to say it isn't a workout can't be right??
  • ldilone13354
    Options

A 10 minute workout is going to take a long time for you to see results. You need to be consistant your expectations seem a bit unrealistic, it take alot of time to tone. A month at the very least.

Yeah that's true. Of course like a month or two but since I own a pair of dumbells that are 5 pounds do you think that if I do them with squats everyday, no quitting, also running or jogging everyday that it will make a difference?
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options

First of all , you like myself and many of us are too hard on our selves.. we are our own worst critics

but you say you just did a 10 minute work out and don't see results??? if it were that easy, every one would be skinny

The people above are right in saying that its a process and you cannot spot reduce and the problem areas thighs and butt for women and belly for men are most often where fat clings the most

you didn't put on weight there overnight so you shouldn't expect it to come off overnight

but they are being too hard when they saying walking cant help.. that's the way I started just walking and then building up to running .. and you don't need a fancy gym for that

but you shouldn't do just cardio.. you should get some dumbbells or a kettlebell and do some resistance or strength training.. don't get the 2lbs ones.. get ones you might think are just a little heavy for you.. you need to challenge your self and your body

its a process and hard work but you can do it , I have confidence.. I am still working hard and if this old guy can make changes you sure can.. just don't expect immediate results from one 10 min workout
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

I call "BS" on this.

I never said walking only was the key to nice butt and thighs. I called BS on the claim that "walking is not really any workout". BTW, I do SL5x5.
  • ldilone13354
    Options

I call "BS" on this.

I think if your consistant and do squats with your weights you will see results, you have dumbells look up jillian micheals 30 day shred on youtube follow that program and in a month you will have what you want IF your at a calorie deficit and IF you stay consistant.

Thank you for your honest opinion. I'll look up the video right now. :)
  • BurningAway
    Options

First of all , you like myself and many of us are too hard on our selves.. we are our own worst critics

but you say you just did a 10 minute work out and don't see results??? if it were that easy, every one would be skinny

The people above are right in saying that its a process and you cannot spot reduce and the problem areas thighs and butt for women and belly for men are most often where fat clings the most

you didn't put on weight there overnight so you shouldn't expect it to come off overnight

but they are being too hard when they saying walking cant help.. that's the way I started just walking and then building up to running .. and you don't need a fancy gym for that

but you shouldn't do just cardio.. you should get some dumbbells or a kettlebell and do some resistance or strength training.. don't get the 2lbs ones.. get ones you might think are just a little heavy for you.. you need to challenge your self and your body

its a process and hard work but you can do it , I have confidence.. I am still working hard and if this old guy can make changes you sure can.. just don't expect immediate results from one 10 min workout

:flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Listen to this lady, she knows what she's talking about.
  • BurningAway
    Options

I call "BS" on this.

I never said walking only was the key to nice butt and thighs. I called BS on the claim that "walking is not really any workout". BTW, I do SL5x5.

:flowerforyou: elaborate next time! Sorry for my snarkyness!
  • 1andonlykellyd
    1andonlykellyd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can do squats all day long and still not hav ethe body of your dreams if you are eating junk.....but junk tastes so goooooooddddd