Fitness myth pet peeves...

Options

Replies

• bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Not a myth, but I'll give my #1 current pet peeve.

"I'd like to start running. How do I do this?"

It's running. Like, similar to walking but faster. My kids learned to walk and then started running about 3 months later. Children do it in the park all day every day but grown *kitten* adults have to post a forum topic to be ask how to buy shoes, run (similar to walking, but faster) and don't overdo it?

oh, and don't forget to buy your hrm first because if you don't your heart might explode! yes, so many exploded hearts on the running trail by my house.

tumblr_lw9nfgfg4z1qjokxe_zps2eefaa9f.gif

I love this ^^^ :laugh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    "You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time"

Ohhh that hurt me to my heart when I found that out. :(
    This is no true???? *sigh*:cry::cry: :cry: I feel like when I found out Santa Claus isn't real.

Wait....santa isnt...WHAT?!
    Just don't tell Bull about the Easter Bunny.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Running will wreck your knees / joints.

Drives me insane when I read this.............

This angers me to no end! The only reasons my knees and joints work correctly is because I ran and lost the fat that was crushing them!! The same people say, "Oh, I can't run because I have bad knees." Whatever. It's ok if you don't know about running shoes or are self conscious but don't give me the bad knees bullsh*t.

But what if martial arts ruined your knees, combined with getting older, THEN you try to run? Yeah, that's why I don't run. Plus, it's mind numbingly boring to me.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

This is no true???? *sigh*:cry::cry: :cry: I feel like when I found out Santa Claus isn't real.

Wait....santa isnt...WHAT?!

It is not as forlorn as you think. Lets say that you are trying to gain fat and lose muscle as a part of your overall goal. You can focus on muscle gain for a few months and then focus on reducing fat for a few months and then switch back and forth. In this way you can reach your goal with more muscle and less fat. So while you aren't able to multitask you can hyper thread.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.

This argument is what drives me up the wall. Maybe I'm the only one who sees the implied "a fixed volume of" before "muscle weighs more than fat" but nobody really thinks a pound of muscle is heavier than a pound of fat.

Cars weigh the same as bicycles, by this argument, but everyone knows you're not talking about a pound of car vs a pound of bicycles.
    No, you're not the only one. Anyone with a three-digit IQ can see volume is implied.

I'll third this. We all know exactly what is meant by "muscle weighs more than fat." I shake my head whenever someone is so annoyed and has to split hairs about density and weight. You know what's being said. Let it go.

That's just it they aren't even splitting hairs. It isn't like they are technically right. They are completely wrong.

Muscle actually does weigh more than fat.

That is an actual objective fact regardless of the speakers opinion.

It is the people that hate the word "toning" that are splitting hairs. I can see how they could have a point in a technical sense. They at least have an argument. But yes when someone says they want to look toned we do know the look they are going for.

The people that think everything in existence weighs the same are flat out wrong. Some things do weigh more than other things and density is the reason for that fact.

But witches DO weigh the same as ducks ...

Well yeah but that is because they are both made of wood.

*Facepalm to me* I forgot about that.

Clearly, you are a man of science. Tell me, what is your name?
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options

This is so universal that it hardly needs to be mentioned.

Very small rocks!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The first law of thermodynamics applies to humans but not in the way people want it to. It does not state that all caloric content of swallowed food is absorbed by the body nor does it state that macronutrients must be burned or 'do work' before leaving the body.

Correct! It states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. ERGO: Calories in = calories out

Excess calories in are stored as fat. When calories out > calories in, fat stores are tapped.
    I'll happily admit that my point is a rather pedantic one, but IMO claiming thermodynamics applies to food in the human body is also pedantic so I think it's only fair game. :laugh:

One can have protein or glucose in their urine, or exhale alcohol for example. Those are calories out without 'burning' them and violate the "equation." The energy in this context is stored in the bonds of molecules, and there's no law that says the molecules cannot leave the body in the same state as they entered it. Also you can say the same with calories in, not everybody absorbs everything they've eaten.

However it is consistent with an individual, at least consistent enough that counting calories (and calories in/out) still does work very effectively and IMO is the best weight loss strategy. But the first law of thermodynamics isn't about molecules entering or leaving a body.:wink:

It doesn't matter if they are "burned" or "expelled," or whatever the process. They still go out. :laugh:

What goes in has to go out, or get stored.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

This is so universal that it hardly needs to be mentioned.

Very small rocks!

Churches! Churches!
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Everything that's ever been said on MFP.

Pretty much this, including this thread.

Since several "myths and pet peeves" people are upset about are actually good strategies for someone starting out.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options

You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (this made me sad when I found out)

This is news to me. What is that about?

You cannot be both catabolic and anabolic at the same time. When you are in a calorie deficit, you are catabolic all of the time; ergo, you cannot gain muscle mass at a caloric deficit. That said, you can increase strength and maintain the lean body mass you have. Many people think they've put on muscle when the fat starts shedding and they note that they have really "toned up"...but really, they're just seeing the muscle they already had an just didn't know it because it was buried in the fat suit.

Best post ever!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

It's running. Like, similar to walking but faster. My kids learned to walk and then started running about 3 months later. Children do it in the park all day every day but grown *kitten* adults have to post a forum topic to be ask how to buy shoes, run (similar to walking, but faster) and don't overdo it?

oh, and don't forget to buy your hrm first because if you don't your heart might explode! yes, so many exploded hearts on the running trail by my house.

I love this ^^^ :laugh:

It's kind of like the "fat and muscle weigh the same thing" argument. I'm sure I ran all the time as a three year old. However, as an adult, I needed a little guidance into being able to run for more than a minute without losing a lung. We get very confused and think that running is about being able to go fast. I needed some training in running SLOW. No, even slower than that, for the first three months.

However, I love Davpul, so I'm not going to argue too much.
  • likitisplit
    Options

This angers me to no end! The only reasons my knees and joints work correctly is because I ran and lost the fat that was crushing them!! The same people say, "Oh, I can't run because I have bad knees." Whatever. It's ok if you don't know about running shoes or are self conscious but don't give me the bad knees bullsh*t.

But what if martial arts ruined your knees, combined with getting older, THEN you try to run? Yeah, that's why I don't run. Plus, it's mind numbingly boring to me.

Running isn't what's killing your joints. Repetitive motion over the wrong planes is killing your joints, Throw that sucker in a brace or learn better form - you're in good alignment and the pain goes away.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    What about women who can't figure out where the spontaneous monthly weight gain comes from?
  • heytherelameman
    heytherelameman Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Not really a myth....but a pet peeve is definitely when those of us who are new to working out or healthy living in general get reprimanded or treated like idiots for *honestly* not being aware that some of these things are myths. (I get the whole, stop posting questions on things that have already been answered - I pretty much NEVER have to post questions because I search and they've already been answered). But I don't get why everyone thinks that all of this is SUCH common knowledge and of course they've known about all of these things since birth.

And I'm really not getting why saying "I want to tone up" is such a big deal? Please explain because I definitely would like to be toned. Call me blonde, ignorant, or just plain dumb....but these things honestly discourage me from asking ANY questions and even being around fit people who clearly know it all.

Oh and pet peeve #2: People who USED to be fat and ignorant and forget where they came from and what it felt like.

at-last.gif
  • TammyS327
    TammyS327 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

What?!? Please direct me to this information.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Running isn't what's killing your joints. Repetitive motion over the wrong planes is killing your joints, Throw that sucker in a brace or learn better form - you're in good alignment and the pain goes away.

I can understand people being bored with it. It's not for everyone.
    ninja-afro-ninja.gif
    ninja-fail.gif
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

According to my registered dietitian, she thinks this to be true. I inwardly winced when I heard her say this when I say her Monday morning. Le sigh.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The first law of thermodynamics applies to humans but not in the way people want it to. It does not state that all caloric content of swallowed food is absorbed by the body nor does it state that macronutrients must be burned or 'do work' before leaving the body.

Correct! It states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. ERGO: Calories in = calories out

Excess calories in are stored as fat. When calories out > calories in, fat stores are tapped.
    I'll happily admit that my point is a rather pedantic one, but IMO claiming thermodynamics applies to food in the human body is also pedantic so I think it's only fair game. :laugh:

One can have protein or glucose in their urine, or exhale alcohol for example. Those are calories out without 'burning' them and violate the "equation." The energy in this context is stored in the bonds of molecules, and there's no law that says the molecules cannot leave the body in the same state as they entered it. Also you can say the same with calories in, not everybody absorbs everything they've eaten.

However it is consistent with an individual, at least consistent enough that counting calories (and calories in/out) still does work very effectively and IMO is the best weight loss strategy. But the first law of thermodynamics isn't about molecules entering or leaving a body.:wink:

It doesn't matter if they are "burned" or "expelled," or whatever the process. They still go out. :laugh:

What goes in has to go out, or get stored.
    Yes but the first law is about conservation of energy within a closed system. What goes in and out and what you're measuring on the scale is mass in the form of molecules. You don't gain and lose pounds of sunlight, you gain and lose (and convert) molecules. Energy in the form of heat can be transferred into the body without eating, those would be 'calories in' if we were talking about energy.

It would be like applying the first law to scooping sand into and out of a bucket. Yes, the amount of sand in the bucket is a function of how much is put in and taken out. That isn't the first law of thermodynamics, that is the principle of conservation of mass.
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Hilarious!!!