How popular is your name?

Options

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    GEMMA is the #1711 most common female first name

0.003% of females in the US are named GEMMA.

Around 3675 US females are named GEMMA!

That is very low! Although the last time I entered the states the lady at passport controlled asked me how to pronounce it as she had not heard my name before in the US, which I did not expect

When I was born in the UK in the 1970's my name was not very common at all - it has become more so with children born in the 1990's but I don't meet many people at all my age or older than me with my name

That's my name too :smile: I was born in Canada but live in Australia. My Australian Mum chose the name though (from a book).
    In my experience it's not a very common name in North America (they often struggled to pronounce it) but is well-known and fairly commen in Australia, UK and Spain. Interestingly the alternate spelling Jemma was even more rare in the US but I've found it to be more common growing up. Our name is definitely gaining poularity. Personally I love it :heart:
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    both my first and last name are popular. When I was in highschool we had moved to a small city of 8000 people. There was another girl there with my exact name (I have never met her- she was younger)

and almost every new job I have - if it is a company with like 1000+ employees there usually seems to be a problem getting me IDs or employee numbers because I am not the only one with my name lol
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    My name is Jennifer so of course it was ranked #1 from 1982 to 1984 and as of 2012 it is now ranked #163. Definitely wanted to change my name as I was growing up. There were so many Jennifer's in my graduating class. My last job I had, I worked with 3 other Jennifer's. Uggghhh! Be original people!I tried to name my children unique names but my oldest son's name ended up being one of the most popular names. I have 2 sons named Aiden and Toryn and a daughter named Tahllon. Yes that is like the talon's claw. I had to be different and spell it funky. LOL

*Facepalm* I've never understood the need of parents to do this. Talon would have been an "unnique" enough name as it is without condemning your child to a life of "My name is Talon, yes like a claw, no but spelled with and h and two ls". Serioulsy, why?
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    First name - #113
    Last name - #7288
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Mine is #1649 lol. Starr. Only % 0.004 of the u.s. population is named Starr. I've never met anyone else with my name and the only time I ever heard of someone else wwith it was that girl on general hospital. Lol my mom was so pissed when she found that out!!
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    the funny thing is, even though I have the 11th most common first name according to that list and there was another girl in my small city with both my first and last name

I was always the only Lisa in my class. The closest was an Elisa in highschool
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised my first name is #28 but my last name is #12227 only 2500 people in the US have it.

I wonder how old that list is because my niece's name is Kaylee and that has become a VERY popular name but it's saying it's rare.
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    #26 most common female first name

Around 600250 US females are named Jessica
  • kte2711
    kte2711 Posts: 26
    Options
    1st name= Katie=Number 193 on US list and 70 on UK list, not massively popular but I seem to come across lots of Me's!
    2nd name=13796th most popular in US, not so much then! Though I reckon that last name is less about popularity and more about inheritance??!!
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    MARILYN is the #80 most common female first name
    0.241% of females in the US are named MARILYN

"LAST NAME" #422 most common last name
    .027% of last names in the US
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    My name is the #6 most common male first name. There are 2.363% of males in the US with my first name.

8488541.png
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Christopher - #11. When I was born, I think it was #1 or #2.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    #461 among females, #268 among males
  • ldnmaggie
    ldnmaggie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    #9 most common female first name
    0.768% of females in the US are named
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    First name is #420. I expected a higher number. My name is not that popular.
    Last (married) #76
    Maiden #42
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Apparently I have a very rare name. I personally know 4 people with my name. There was no number for my name :cry:

There was no number for my son's name either; but I view that as a good thing! :flowerforyou:
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    142. But I knew my name wasn't all that popular, which part of why I love it now (hated it growing up)

I'm surprised my daughter's is #1208, but I guess that's because it has only recently gained popularity. (Kylie)

My husband's is #4 which is totally expected (Michael)

Our last name is #1146
  • gil_u
    gil_u Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Do I win?

First name - #425.
    0.024% of males in the US have this name.

Last name - #12,709 most common last name
    0.001% of last names in the US this name.
  • Farah_akbar
    Farah_akbar Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    (First Name) FARAH is the #2424 most common female first name

0.002% of females in the US are named FARAH.

Around 2450 US females are named FARAH!

(Last Name ) AKBAR is the #14699 most common last name

0.001% of last names in the US are AKBAR.

Around 2500 people have AKBAR as a last name!

How shaming is that my name is UnCoMMON damn it I am right at the bottom
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    SERIOUSLY?!

DANA is a very rare female first name
    Very few female first names in the US are DANA
    Be proud of your unique first name!