Plateauing for a long time, could use some help.

Options

Replies

• MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Over doing the cheese in place of protein is a huge no-no. Fat free greek yogurt is not a problem, but stay away from cheese. A little sprinkle is ok but unless its fat free, the majority of calories from cheese is from fat (obviously sugar is not the problem with cheese)...
    A couple questions for you, since you're a personal trainer and have studied nutrition for 10 years:

What exactly is the problem with dietary fat?

Why should cheese be entirely avoided?

The problem is Cheese contains Saturated Fats, which are not healthy fats. Unless you are doing enough cardio to burn this fat, it will sit in your body as gained fat...which I am guessing is the main thing everyone here would like to lose.

Now lets take the fats you get from Salmon and avocados for example. These foods are high in fat, but contain good fats like Omega Fatty Acids. These fats your body can utilize and have a better chance of being absorbed and used by the body instead of just sitting in your fat cells and adding to weight and body fat.

This is all pretty common knowledge, stay away from saturated fats found in cheese, milk, butter, and meats. Instead opt for fat free, like fat free cottage cheese, skim milk, and lean cuts of meats like the filet. This is also why you want to skin your chickens ad avoid eating the skin.

That's true!! Saturated FAT better NOO! I can see that you eat food highly fatty like some salad (Kroger - Fresh Selections Cobb Salad Kit, 1 salad & toppingsI don't know that food. maybe you add some dressing)... try eat more fresh food instead of processed one. you can buy mozzarella fat reduced check cal and fats and some tomatos and have a nice meal!
  • nika_bolinhos
    Options
    Not wanting to interrupt ping pong chat here and just sharing from my own experience.
    I couple of months ago I finally managed to overcome a plateau that I was stuck in for 3 months. I could still see my body changing, it was funny, it kind of felt like my body was adapting it's shapes to my new weight, that was after losing 10kg. But anyway, after that I changed my exercise routine, I was power walking with norwegian sticks at the the time from 5 to 2 times a week for 60 min each day, firstly I started using weights on my legs and arms, that got rid of 2kg and I now changed to dance classes, the classes last about 45 min, I go to the classes 4 days a week and I since I got to it I lost 3kg, I started the classes less than a month ago.
    I try to put everything in my diary, but I don't bother with scales and usually use it just as a reference, a very non exact reference. Anyway, this was all to tell you what I learned from this process. You have to exercise your whole body if you want to get the muscles going and the fat burned and changing exercise routines when you get used to them helps to overcome avoid plateaus.

Another thing is about eating fat and all that. When I started my diet I decided to go to by the odd road and increase my fat intake instead of lowering, and I have to say that it helped a lot. I got this book called Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes by Jennifer McLagan and have been living by their rules, not to mention that now when I have bacon I fry it in fat it tastes amazing and it keeps me going for much longer, avoiding nibbles between meals became a piece of cake as well. Since me and my husband started eating more fat and banished anything with light or fat free in the label from our house we both lost weight, he lost 5kg without changing anything else and I lost 15kg since I started, I started dieting before signing up to MFP, when I got here I had lost 5kg already. We also avoid eating out and it became much easier since the food we cook is so much tastier than anything we can get in a restaurant, say whatever you like but fat is delicious ;)

I hope this helps or at least shows a different approach that works and that is the opposite of what most people go for ;)
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    Over doing the cheese in place of protein is a huge no-no. Fat free greek yogurt is not a problem, but stay away from cheese. A little sprinkle is ok but unless its fat free, the majority of calories from cheese is from fat (obviously sugar is not the problem with cheese)...
    A couple questions for you, since you're a personal trainer and have studied nutrition for 10 years:

The problem is Cheese contains Saturated Fats, which are not healthy fats. Unless you are doing enough cardio to burn this fat, it will sit in your body as gained fat...which I am guessing is the main thing everyone here would like to lose.

Now lets take the fats you get from Salmon and avocados for example. These foods are high in fat, but contain good fats like Omega Fatty Acids. These fats your body can utilize and have a better chance of being absorbed and used by the body instead of just sitting in your fat cells and adding to weight and body fat.

This is all pretty common knowledge, stay away from saturated fats found in cheese, milk, butter, and meats. Instead opt for fat free, like fat free cottage cheese, skim milk, and lean cuts of meats like the filet. This is also why you want to skin your chickens ad avoid eating the skin.

I can see from your pictures that what you recommend works for you, but everyone's body doesn't work exactly the same. Further, there is no evidence that saturated fat causes weight gain on a caloric deficit. In fact, that's quite impossible. So telling people to avoid saturated fat is pointless in a discussion about weight loss. There is some evidence that links saturated fat to cardiovascular disease (some of which has been disputed), but there is no indication that it causes weight gain independent of caloric intake.

Everyones body is different of course, but there are tons of studies which indicate Saturated Fat clogs your arteries and is not good for you or your body. This is really common and I'm surprised it is causing such a discussion. Everyone knows, cut the fat off when cooking meats, take the skin off chicken, dont eat fried foods, don't eat a lot of cheese...the reason is because all of these foods are very high in saturated fat. You can simply look it up in Wikpedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat

Its been known for many years now to get your fat sources from unsaturated fats.

As far as nika_bolinhos....are you sure your extra weight loss was due to eating more fat, or possibly more likely due to the fact that you are changing up your fitness routine, especially adding in a full body resistance training routine. I doubt its an increase in fats unless its from healthy foods such as avocados, salmon, nuts, olive oil ect. Adding some kind of weight/resistance routine is so important and makes a huge difference. And our bodies adapt very quickly to exercise regimes, so changing things up and trying new activities is one of the best ways to jump start your weight loss and get out of a stubborn plateau. Its all about constantly challenging your body and then your body having to adapt to those new changes. I would likely attribute these 2 things to your weight loss, though I'm sure honey boo boo would love your high fat diet, I would be careful with it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

I can see from your pictures that what you recommend works for you, but everyone's body doesn't work exactly the same. Further, there is no evidence that saturated fat causes weight gain on a caloric deficit. In fact, that's quite impossible. So telling people to avoid saturated fat is pointless in a discussion about weight loss. There is some evidence that links saturated fat to cardiovascular disease (some of which has been disputed), but there is no indication that it causes weight gain independent of caloric intake.

Everyones body is different of course, but there are tons of studies which indicate Saturated Fat clogs your arteries and is not good for you or your body. This is really common and I'm surprised it is causing such a discussion. Everyone knows, cut the fat off when cooking meats, take the skin off chicken, dont eat fried foods, don't eat a lot of cheese...the reason is because all of these foods are very high in saturated fat. You can simply look it up in Wikpedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat

Its been known for many years now to get your fat sources from unsaturated fats.

As far as nika_bolinhos....are you sure your extra weight loss was due to eating more fat, or possibly more likely due to the fact that you are changing up your fitness routine, especially adding in a full body resistance training routine. I doubt its an increase in fats unless its from healthy foods such as avocados, salmon, nuts, olive oil ect. Adding some kind of weight/resistance routine is so important and makes a huge difference. And our bodies adapt very quickly to exercise regimes, so changing things up and trying new activities is one of the best ways to jump start your weight loss and get out of a stubborn plateau. Its all about constantly challenging your body and then your body having to adapt to those new changes. I would likely attribute these 2 things to your weight loss, though I'm sure honey boo boo would love your high fat diet, I would be careful with it.
    Can't see why after studying nutrition for a decade that someone would have these opinions.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    For the record, this isnt a competition. I am here to help, I;ve been in the fitness industry for many years, I;ve worked as a model for Nike. I am here to help give advice and encourage my clients to use this program so they can track their diets which I can also check on through their profiles. No one has to take my advice but its what I do everyday and I personally know what it takes to lose weight and most importantly keep it off. As far as cheese is concerned, I advise my clients to keep it to a minimum, ask for light cheese when eating out, and stick to fat free versions whenever possible. Each Fat gram has 9 calories, making it incredibly easy to over eat and not realize the amount of calories you are taking in.

You sound sensible to me!
  • nika_bolinhos
    Options
    So, since I was asked about the whole eating more fat and losing more weight situation I'll explain a bit better how it affected me.
    I don't think I'm losing weight just because I started eating more fat, I have been exercising more as well and that certainly made most of the difference. However the thing about eating more fat that made a world of difference to me is that it really helps to avoid snack between meals. You feel as fool as normal after eating the same size portion you would otherwise, but that lasts for much longer. You ingest more calories with your meal and avoid stuffing yourself between meals, so no more little snack, sandwiches, crisps, chips and all of those little things that add up to so much. The other things that makes you feel full for quite a while are carbs and grains...anyway, the introduction of the book explains much better than I do, and no I don't know the lady who wrote the book and I'm not trying to advertise it, it's just something that when you read makes a lot of sense and as soon as I started to adopt a different behaviour towards my food intake I started to feel better, more energised and with much less cravings. So what I'm saying is not that I lost weight just for eating fat, but that eating more fat helped me to avoid a ridiculous amount of food that I would be eating otherwise without it being a struggle. I love that, I love not being constantly hungry and craving, I love that my food is tastier and richer now and that I can eat about half the amount I used to without feeling hungry for twice as long. It allows me to enjoy the things I like and not to struggle with my limited calorie intake at the same time. I probably should mention that I don't only eat fatty things, I am crazy for my veggies and salads, I can't spend a day without fruits and green in my life without feeling like there is something missing, I'm the sort of person who carries a bag of tangerines to a party.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Well let me put it this way. I am healthy, strong, train on a weekly basis, eat healthy, and am not trying to lose weight. I know how to lose weight and keep it off. I have helped my clients lose hundreds of pounds and I have trained everyone from actors to models, to professional dancers, and your everyday person. I get paid thousands of dollars a month and I am able to support myself by helping others achieve their fitness goals. I am very successful at my job and I am also a certified Pilates Instructor. You are welcome to visit my website at FitnessBeverlyHills ......I am not sure if you also work in the fitness industry, but considering this is my job in which I make my living, I think I know what I am talking about and I would be more inclined to listen to someone with experience. If you are serious about losing weight try listening to someone who is a professional or just read the hundreds of studies on saturated fats. This I thought was common sense, but I realize that this is probably why this country has such an epidemic of overweight and unhealthy people. Many people are very misguided on healthy eating. I just saw a post yesterday by someone asking why fried zucchini was so unhealthy. I'm not telling you these things to argue with you, I'm trying to help you and the original poster. Saturated fats are no good, Eating Bacon is NOT HEALTHY unless you want to look like Paula Dean and eat Bacon, biscuits and fried chicken all day. No Bueno
    Why is saturated fat bad, I forgot. Why is there saturated fat in every single food that has any fat in it at all. Do you think mother nature is trying to kill us?:smile:
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    Saturated fat is not in everything. There are no saturated fats in Vegetables, fruits, fat free cottage cheese, it is mainly found in Dairy and meats. Saturated fats in very low amount are fine like skinned chicken, turkey, low fat meats, but in high amounts it clogs your arteries, increases your cholesterol, and leads to excessive weight gain. Thats just how it is, I don't think "mother nature" has anything to do with it. There are many things in nature that when taken in access are very harmful. Just because its in nature doesn't mean its healthy to eat. Mother nature made Poison Ivy..would you chop it up into a salad and eat it? I don't think so.

There are plenty of foods that contain healthy fats as I stated earlier like Salmon, Nuts, Olive Oil, Avocado..these fats are good for your body and healthy to consume. Here is an article you can read and there are plenty of others just google "bad fats"
    http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Saturated fat is not in everything. There are no saturated fats in Vegetables, fruits, fat free cottage cheese, it is mainly found in Dairy and meats. Saturated fats in very low amount are fine like skinned chicken, turkey, low fat meats, but in high amounts it clogs your arteries, increases your cholesterol, and leads to excessive weight gain. Thats just how it is, I don't think "mother nature" has anything to do with it. There are many things in nature that when taken in access are very harmful. Just because its in nature doesn't mean its healthy to eat. Mother nature made Poison Ivy..would you chop it up into a salad and eat it? I don't think so.

There are plenty of foods that contain healthy fats as I stated earlier like Salmon, Nuts, Olive Oil, Avocado..these fats are good for your body and healthy to consume. Here is an article you can read and there are plenty of others just google "bad fats"
    http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm
    Fat free cottage cheese must be from the cows that give fat free milk I guess. And yes there's saturated fat in all the foods you mentioned, that's just the way it works, you should know that, it's just biology. For example there's the same amount of saturated fat in 1 avocado and 100g's of salmon as there is in 100g's of flanks steak and the steak has less calorie than both. Did you really say clogs arteries......who says that?
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    Im not the one trying to lose weight so how has eating all that saturated fat been working out for you? Its not healthy, do some research, this is common sense. Yes whole milk from a cow will have saturated fat, then there is a process called centrifugation where the fat is removed from the milk. I personally prefer either organic milk or almond milk. This again is general knowledge. And sorry to inform you but eating a bunch of saturated fat causes clogged arteries and numerous health problems..just like cigarettes cause cancer, gee who still says that SMH I must be so old school to think that eating bacon, cheese, and fried chicken could possibly be horrible for me.

The issue is not completely cutting out saturated fats, its reducing them. You might eat salmon over a flank steak because of all the healthy fats it contains which are beneficial, either is a fine choice IMO, However its better to reduce your saturated fat intake by not consuming the fat and cutting it off.

I feel like this is an argument that was already researched in great length in the 1970's and I'm shocked that in 2013 there is still so much misconception and a lack of education in nutrition. It really is no wonder Americans are so over weight and unhealthy. You can believe what you want to believe, its your health thats at risk, but it doesn't hurt to listen to a professional that might possibly have more experience in the matter than you.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Im not the one trying to lose weight so how has eating all that saturated fat been working out for you? Its not healthy, do some research, this is common sense. Yes whole milk from a cow will have saturated fat, then there is a process called centrifugation where the fat is removed from the milk. I personally prefer either organic milk or almond milk. This again is general knowledge. And sorry to inform you but eating a bunch of saturated fat causes clogged arteries and numerous health problems..just like cigarettes cause cancer, gee who still says that SMH I must be so old school to think that eating bacon, cheese, and fried chicken could possibly be horrible for me.

The issue is not completely cutting out saturated fats, its reducing them. You might eat salmon over a flank steak because of all the healthy fats it contains which are beneficial, either is a fine choice IMO, However its better to reduce your saturated fat intake by not consuming the fat and cutting it off.

I feel like this is an argument that was already researched in great length in the 1970's and I'm shocked that in 2013 there is still so much misconception and a lack of education in nutrition. It really is no wonder Americans are so over weight and unhealthy. You can believe what you want to believe, its your health thats at risk, but it doesn't hurt to listen to a professional that might possibly have more experience in the matter than you.
    Maybe you could extrapolate in your own words what mechanisms in saturated fat causes "clogged arteries" for us simpletons that don't know what were talking about from someone with your vast nutritional experience and don't spare me on detail, please be specific.......thanks. Did you really reference the 70's as your mentoring decade?
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    tumblr_ml3hrtVeZt1r963x0o1_500.gif
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    This is really getting silly, if you were so knowledgeable you wouldnt be on this forum looking for advice on how to lose weight, and if you followed advice from professionals in the fitness industry, you might not need to. You obviously want to believe that eating bacon and cheese is healthy for you so by all means continue going about your life and see how it works out for you. My guess is if it was working you wouldn't be here. Arguing about why saturated fats are bad for you is like arguing about why cigarettes cause cancer to someone from the 1970's who still believes they are harmless. The 70's was not my mentoring decade, but by your lack of common sense and education in fitness and nutrition, I am guessing it was yours.

Maybe you're taking your nutritional tips from Paula Deen and Honey Boo boo, but I hate to have to inform you SATURATE FATS ARE NOT GOOD FOR YOU. There is a wealth of information online, I suggest you do some research. All you need to do is observe the eating habits of people who are over weight. The south is a great example. Their diets are high in bacon, grease, butter, and cheese. They are also some of those most obese people in the country. Its not a coincidence, but please feel free to believe what you want. I just find it shocking and a little sad. if you truly want to lose weight and don't want my opinion, I suggest seeing a dietician, I'm sure you"ll be sad by the outcome when she tells you the same thing I just did, feel free to get a professional second option. Then again you seem to be a know it all who wont listen to anyone because of course you must have a career in the fitness industry too? Do you also tell your personal trainer the exercises you should be doing, or tell the dentist how to fix your cavity, or your doctor what medication you should be taking?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    This is really getting silly, if you were so knowledgeable you wouldnt be on this forum looking for advice on how to lose weight, and if you followed advice from professionals in the fitness industry, you might not need to. You obviously want to believe that eating bacon and cheese is healthy for you so by all means continue going about your life and see how it works out for you. My guess is if it was working you wouldn't be here. Arguing about why saturated fats are bad for you is like arguing about why cigarettes cause cancer to someone from the 1970's who still believes they are harmless. The 70's was not my mentoring decade, but by your lack of common sense and education in fitness and nutrition, I am guessing it was yours.

Maybe you're taking your nutritional tips from Paula Deen and Honey Boo boo, but I hate to have to inform you SATURATE FATS ARE NOT GOOD FOR YOU. There is a wealth of information online, I suggest you do some research. All you need to do is observe the eating habits of people who are over weight. The south is a great example. Their diets are high in bacon, grease, butter, and cheese. They are also some of those most obese people in the country. Its not a coincidence, but please feel free to believe what you want. I just find it shocking and a little sad. if you truly want to lose weight and don't want my opinion, I suggest seeing a dietician, I'm sure you"ll be sad by the outcome when she tells you the same thing I just did, feel free to get a professional second option. Then again you seem to be a know it all who wont listen to anyone because of course you must have a career in the fitness industry too? Do you also tell your personal trainer the exercises you should be doing, or tell the dentist how to fix your cavity, or your doctor what medication you should be taking?
    Somehow I was expecting something more than "SATURATED FATS ARE NOT GOOD FOR YOU" in caps no less, no actually it's exactly what I was expecting. Nice song and dance about how great you are and how pathetic I am..........your a consummate professed professional...........can that even happen anywhere, but the internet. lol I'm not losing weight, I'm bulking and not seeking advice, but thanks for assuming, you seem to assume allot. You may be a decent trainer, I don't know, but I would stay away from giving out nutritional advice based on what you said so far in this thread.
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ml3hrtVeZt1r963x0o1_500.gif

Yay for Science :)
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I like trains
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Well, I've lost a fair bit of weight and have consumed saturated fats daily, including stuff like steak and THE EVIL BACON OMG!!!!! I use real butter, too. What I don't eat are any of those low or nonfat processed foods, especially the sorts of dairy products the "Beverly Hills Trainer" is recommending.

I lost a bunch of weight and will continue to do so because I eat at a caloric deficit, plain and simple.

I quite like foods that contain saturated fat--they taste good and are good for me, so I'll continue to eat them regularly.

:drinker:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone want to choose to eat saturated fat when they have other choices better and healthier for them? think about what it is your eating.. bacon grease, etc. Wouldn't a salad be better? (thats a rhetorical statement).

I dont buy the high saturated fat diets like what Atkins promotes. I mean really. What health benefit do you get from high saturated foods besides you like the taste?

I think people who love the high fat diets are those who still want to eat crap because it does taste better (in a way if you're used to it), and who dont want to give up their usual fat laden foods. imo.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone want to choose to eat saturated fat when they have other choices better and healthier for them? think about what it is your eating.. bacon grease, etc. Wouldn't a salad be better? (thats a rhetorical statement).

I dont buy the high saturated fat diets like what Atkins promotes. I mean really. What health benefit do you get from high saturated foods besides you like the taste?

I think people who love the high fat diets are those who still want to eat crap because it does taste better (in a way if you're used to it), and who dont want to give up their usual fat laden foods. imo.

W're all waiting for the science. I have no idea what is right or wrong from this thread. Just a bunch of yelling and folks calling each other stupid. Standing by for data.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

Get ready for this mind boggler: I have bacon ON MY SALAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eating foods that one enjoys is a huge benefit, IMO. So is satiety, which foods that contain saturated fats are typically higher in.

I don't personally believe eating saturated fats from responsibly raised animals is a bad thing, at all. I pretty much eat the way my great grandparents did, and they both lived into their late 90s. Lots of fresh, whole foods, including meats, and eggs...and dairy (if I could--I am lactose intolerant).

I'm not going to tell you my way is better than yours, but this is clearly what works for me. I've lost over 100 lbs, have managed my PCOS and insulin resistance by diet and exercise alone--no drugs. I'm healthy, happy, enjoy my meals and my time at the gym.
This discussion has been closed.