Do you really think rice cakes are healthy?

Options

Replies

• Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    No they are horrible for you. They cause ED and your arms fall off after one bite. Honestly...?
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    No rice!

Rice is not good for health

Care to explain why. Seriously, I am very interested. I am sceptic about many health claims online though so care to explain via some linked peer-reviewed studies why rice is not good for your health?

See, i have a been there done that experiences and i am telling from my own experience and not making up...

Rice contains a lot of carbs, these carbs when digested into the system is converted into fats and you know what happens when a lot of fat is accumulated in the body...

Rice is good for people who work very very hard like farmers and peasants of developing country and not for people in USA.

My weight loss was slow initially but became rapid when i completely abandoned rice!

so.much.bro.science.
    I really hope he was trolling.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Love rice cakes, and usually stick to these organic mini apple ones, with only natural ingredients, no sugar, wholegrain rice. I also like the marmite ones we can get here, which adds in some nice B vitamins.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I think rice cakes are Satin incarnate. No one should ever eat them.
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You people should really learn to read nutritional labels before making your assertions. Rice cakes are almost a completely pure carb source you can use them in many ways and meals.

Seriously. All these people talking about whether or not they are "clean" or "healthy" don't seem to understand that ALL food is just a mix of carbs, protein and fat. Eat whatever you want to meet your macronutrient goals first, and try to get as many micronutrients as you can. A friggin rice cake or two is not going to make or break your efforts. Hell, even when I was CONTEST dieting my coach had me eating rice cakes post-workout.

Buying rice cakes made from brown rice, organic rice, or made my monks living on a mountain top who only speak when the moon is full... makes no difference. I'm so tired of the 'food superiority' complexes some people have!

You win the internet today. :drinker:
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I think rice is good for you as long as it fits into your macros. I grew up on rice (my mom is from the south and we ate rice as a side dish EVERY NIGHT unless we had pasta, pizza or something like that). I'm now a grown woman and am trying to lose about 20 lbs (30 total), but my Mother and Sister are both sizes 6 or 8 (my Dad was about 30 lbs overweight prior to passing away). They still eat rice and have no health issues.

What I'm saying is, I personally think most foods are good (I'm not the biggest fan of processed though) as long as you consume the higher calorie items in moderation. I love rice, and actually just had some for dinner.

In saying that, to answer your exact question, I think rice cakes are fine though I'm not a fan of the taste too much.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options

Satan maybe...? I kinda like satin sheets and stuff...
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Satan maybe...? I kinda like satin sheets and stuff...

Yeah, that's what I said. Satin!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I think rice cakes are a low calorie way to chew on something crunchy. No, they don't offer a lot of nutritional value, nor are they particularly tasty, but they have a pleasant texture and they take up space in your mouth. It's an alternative to chips or crackers because of the crunch.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    No rice!

palms approaching face ... seriously, quoted for totally BS.

Rice is good for you.

Geez people, educate yourselves.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I like the brown rice cakes they make at my local Korean market. Yummmy!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes taste like crap, so good for you or not, I wouldn't eat them :p
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

You're doing it wrong. Cover it with ice cream or peanut butter.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Care to explain why. Seriously, I am very interested. I am sceptic about many health claims online though so care to explain via some linked peer-reviewed studies why rice is not good for your health?

See, i have a been there done that experiences and i am telling from my own experience and not making up...

Rice contains a lot of carbs, these carbs when digested into the system is converted into fats and you know what happens when a lot of fat is accumulated in the body...

Rice is good for people who work very very hard like farmers and peasants of developing country and not for people in USA.

My weight loss was slow initially but became rapid when i completely abandoned rice!

It sounds like an anecdotal experience, not based on science, but based on what worked for you personally.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    After reading this I just want to change my username to 'Rice Police'.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Nope!?

But the mini buttered popcorn ones are my to-to when I go to the movie theatre. Shhhh...I sneak them into the theatre in my purse
  • highervibes
    Options

You're doing it wrong. Cover it with ice cream or peanut butter.

I can see the argument for peanut butter, also Nutella... but ice cream? really? lol I would prefer peanut butter on a thinner vessel personally, cracker maybe? Rice cakes remind me of styrofoam. My original answer still stands; gross! lol
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think they're probably healthier than expanded polystyrene, which is what they make me think of every time I eat them, which is not very often, because expanded polystyrene is not very appetising.
  • highervibes
    Options
    I think they're probably healthier than expanded polystyrene, which is what they make me think of every time I eat them, which is not very often, because expanded polystyrene is not very appetising.

right?!