tried almond milk for the first time today...

Options
and I have to say it was pretty gross :( I was expecting it to be better because of how popular it is... but I couldn't bring myself to get past just the first sip unfortunately... think I'm sticking with regular good old fashioned milk :)

Replies

• sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    aw. what kind did you get?
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I might be the exception to the rule, but I absolutely love almond milk and prefer it to cow milk for almost everything. The only thing I don't like it in is coffee, where I absolutely must have half and half.

I didn't like soy milk, and I can tolerate coconut milk. Haven't tried rice milk yet, although the ice cream made with it is good. You might want to explore those alternatives to see if one appeals to you.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    aw. what kind did you get?

It was the silk brand
  • operation_cute
    Options
    I might be the exception to the rule, but I absolutely love almond milk and prefer it to cow milk for almost everything. The only thing I don't like it in is coffee, where I absolutely must have half and half.

I didn't like soy milk, and I can tolerate coconut milk. Haven't tried rice milk yet, although the ice cream made with it is good. You might want to explore those alternatives to see if one appeals to you.

I love soy milk, but only the flavored ones lol especially the vanilla... which is weird because I ussually don't like vanilla haha maybe I could try the flavored almond milk? but then its not really much less calories than regular milk...
  • MissJacquelineN
    MissJacquelineN Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I only like Almond Breeze vanilla sweetened almond milk. I use it on/in everything, but I can't drink it by itself.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Trader Joe's brand but I also don't drink it straight, I use it for protein shakes, in my coffee, and in recipes.
    But I can't drink dairy milk straight either lol

If you're willing to give it another shot, try to TJ's brand or Almond Breeze instead of Silk.
  • sarahsedai
    Options
    i'm not a fan of cow's milk (my tummy was pretty sensitive to it when i was younger, and although it doesn't physically bother me much now, i don't care for the taste), and i still prefer soy milk, but i usually have almond milk around too. the chocolate is yummy for a treat, and i use the unsweetened for recipes and such.

i'd say give it another chance, but it is what it is! nothing wrong with regular milk. :)
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    I love the Silk dark chocolate almond milk. And Both Silk and Blue Diamond Vanilla. Like Sunshinestate, I can't drink it in coffee, it just isn't creamy enough and doesn't taste good at all.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I've never had it on it's own. I use it in recipes or have it with cereal. I have no problem having it that way.
  • sarahsedai
    Options
    I prefer the Trader Joe's brand but I also don't drink it straight, I use it for protein shakes, in my coffee, and in recipes.
    But I can't drink dairy milk straight either lol

If you're willing to give it another shot, try to TJ's brand or Almond Breeze instead of Silk.

yeah, i prefer almond breeze over silk, for almond anyway.
  • hayles333
    hayles333 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am SO with you! I wanted to love almond milk (and coconut milk for that matter), but blech! Not for me. Love my soy milk (especially flavoured). Man I miss regular milk though (recently diagnosed allergy)!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I want to try almond milk for smoothies / protein shakes but haven't got around to it. I use 2% cow milk now for cereal, occasional protein shakes and smoothies but can't drink it straight.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I've never drank almond milk straight, I think that would be gross (then again I don't like drinking regular milk either). I absolutely love almond milk though and it's the only kind of milk I buy! I use it in protein shakes, cooking/baking, cereal, etc. I don't think I'll ever use regular milk again.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    That stinks. You should try Almond breeze. They have coconut almond, chocolate, vanilla and it really doesn't taste bad.
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yeah after 2% milk, this stuff just didn't cut it! I tried it in my coffee because it's a major calorie cut from half and half, and that wasn't too bad, but I couldn't finish a bowl of cereal. I did try the unsweetened kind, so maybe that was it. Must be a taste thing. Weird, because I eat plain greek yogurt with fresh fruit, and it's sour, so I didn't think I'd miss the sweetness in the milk.
  • Maine2
    Maine2 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have drank Silk and Almond Breeze almond milk. I prefer the Almond Breeze original, but NOT unsweetened. I have a sweet tooth, so the unsweetened tastes awful to me. I drink almond instead of soy because I am a breast cancer survivor and soy has been shown to possibly increase the risk of breast cancer.
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How about coconut milk? You might like it better
  • operation_cute
    Options
    I have drank Silk and Almond Breeze almond milk. I prefer the Almond Breeze original, but NOT unsweetened. I have a sweet tooth, so the unsweetened tastes awful to me. I drink almond instead of soy because I am a breast cancer survivor and soy has been shown to possibly increase the risk of breast cancer.

Really? I didn't know there was a link to it... luckily I only drink it on occasion when the mood strikes :p I tried the unsweetend almond milk, so that may be it... I just dont see the point of replacing regular milk with it when the calories are almost the same... skim milk is pretty low in cals, and boy do I love milk lol
  • operation_cute
    Options
    I've never drank almond milk straight, I think that would be gross (then again I don't like drinking regular milk either). I absolutely love almond milk though and it's the only kind of milk I buy! I use it in protein shakes, cooking/baking, cereal, etc. I don't think I'll ever use regular milk again.

I LOVE milk lol I think its one of the things that got me to where I am haha, I was drinking probably a good half gallon a day of it before starting mfp :p now I"m enjoying it in moderation...
  • operation_cute
    Options
    I want to try almond milk for smoothies / protein shakes but haven't got around to it. I use 2% cow milk now for cereal, occasional protein shakes and smoothies but can't drink it straight.

I'm thinking of giving it another shot in smoothies, and even chai tea (since I sweeten that myself) so who knows, maybe it will work out better when I try using it in things rather than just drinking it straight :)