does anyone else feel scared to eat?

Options

Replies

• itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    If you feel scared to eat, or grossed out that you have eaten, you have a disordered relationship with food. You might want to talk to a professional about that. It's not normal and it won't be beneficial to you in the long run.

^^ This, big time.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Never! Food is fuel!

That's the beauty of logging food - it's a learning process. You log everything, and see that some days are better than others. Some days you might be over on cals, some days way under - each day you can see what you ate, and where you can make a better choice, choosing foods and portions to keep closer to target cals, and not be either way over OR way under.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    lol... I wish Id never asked the question now!! I think thereis a very fine line between knowing when to stop eating and what is healthy.
    Hey I understand what you mean. One of the problems of this site is you have so many different ideas of what foods or exercise is best for you(there are a lot of experts) My decision, I just go with what works for me and if someone tells me I am wrong I just point :to the 108 lbs I have lost and say I must be doing something right. :wink:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power. If you are not sure of a food, do some research on it. MFP here plus the internet has statistics about what nutrients are in a food.

#2 - you have to eat. You probably want to exercise. So as long as you have to do that anyway, why not find out what would be the best to eat so that you know you are eating healthy.

some things are just logical - for example, compare a cucumber with a piece of chocolate cake with icing and candy on it. Tell me, which do you think is going to be considered more healthy?

Some things are easy peasy. But if you dont know something, just look it up and study up on it. Could be real interesting too. That way you know for sure. For your own self.

That way when you come here and read about 100 different versions of approach to eating, some may be right, some may be wrong, but you can kinda judge for yourself what will work for you. Everyone is different,, I may not be able to eat like weight lifter because they have different requirements. but learn what is sensible and not faddish and then do that.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    ok, well I dont have an eating disorder, reckon I did once. I am just being conciencious of what Im eating.
    Just tread lightly. Demonizing food can lead you back down the road of disordered eating again. Just follow your calorie goal, try to hit your protein goals, and don't worry so much.
    thanks for your kind reply, I used to overeat, I also ate the wrong foods. I wont be making that mistake again.

Can you please explain your definition of the "Wrong Foods" ????
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Okay...so I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! When I first go on a diet (which in my case is just watching what I eat) I don't want to touch ANYTHING! I always think I am making the wrong choice, and I'll spend forever looking at the label, even though I don't really know what I am looking for. When I do eat something, I think, Well, that was a bad idea, and then I'll jump right on the treadmill to burn what I just ate. But, I've stuck with this diet (lifestyle change) longer than any of the others, and I have to say, I'm glad I was like that in the beginning! Now, I can kind of eat whatever I want. I am more aware of what is in things. I don't eat any candy or pop or anything like that. I just do (mostly)healthy choices in moderation. I can now eat something and not panic about what I have just put into my system!

You're not alone!!

All the best to you!!

what she said!!!!! xxx
  • ZenBJR
    ZenBJR Posts: 13
    Options
    I avoid "diet" foods and "low fat" foods like the plague.

An easy way to eat clean, healthy foods is to do all your shopping at a Farmer's Market. Hard to go wrong there. I do all of my shopping there.

You won't find these crazy chemical laden "diet" foods there, and it's all healthy and cheap.
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    Okay...so I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! When I first go on a diet (which in my case is just watching what I eat) I don't want to touch ANYTHING! I always think I am making the wrong choice, and I'll spend forever looking at the label, even though I don't really know what I am looking for. When I do eat something, I think, Well, that was a bad idea, and then I'll jump right on the treadmill to burn what I just ate. But, I've stuck with this diet (lifestyle change) longer than any of the others, and I have to say, I'm glad I was like that in the beginning! Now, I can kind of eat whatever I want. I am more aware of what is in things. I don't eat any candy or pop or anything like that. I just do (mostly)healthy choices in moderation. I can now eat something and not panic about what I have just put into my system!

You're not alone!!

All the best to you!!

Quit going on "diets" then and learn to change your entire life. It worked for you to look at it that way :)
  • Tigermum9
    Options
    takeaway, lots and lots of bread, fried, cake, buns etc etc.
  • Tigermum9
    Options
    I avoid "diet" foods and "low fat" foods like the plague.

An easy way to eat clean, healthy foods is to do all your shopping at a Farmer's Market. Hard to go wrong there. I do all of my shopping there.

You won't find these crazy chemical laden "diet" foods there, and it's all healthy and cheap.

so true
  • Tigermum9
    Options
    lol... I wish Id never asked the question now!! I think thereis a very fine line between knowing when to stop eating and what is healthy.
    Hey I understand what you mean. One of the problems of this site is you have so many different ideas of what foods or exercise is best for you(there are a lot of experts) My decision, I just go with what works for me and if someone tells me I am wrong I just point :to the 108 lbs I have lost and say I must be doing something right. :wink:

You have done great, an inspiration.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have determined what i want to eat.. then i put in the food here in the diary, and then i see over the course of the week and month what progress im making.. if something seems to not be working i tweak it, you can too. you will see results over the course of a month. if not, then no biggie, just find out what works better and do that next month.
  • Tigermum9
    Options
    I have determined what i want to eat.. then i put in the food here in the diary, and then i see over the course of the week and month what progress im making.. if something seems to not be working i tweak it, you can too. you will see results over the course of a month. if not, then no biggie, just find out what works better and do that next month.

Im fairly new to mfp, but hope to achieve that. Thank you
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    ok guys, I dont mean literally scared so I wont eat. What I mean is, I want to make sure Im eating healthy..even low fat and 'diet' foods are laden with sugar. Dont think I need psychiatric assessment just yet!!

thanks for your concern...i think!

You're right, low fat and diet foods are chemical *kitten* storms. Try just eating whole foods. Lean meat, vegetables, fruits, rice, oatmeal, nuts, etc. You can't gain fat unless you eat more than your body burns in a day. You need to learn your limits and understand that a scale gain isn't always fat, sometimes it's water or glycogen.

^^ and this.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    No. Food = Fuel.

Are you afraid to put gas in your car? You have to have it or it won't work. Same with food.

Someone else mentioned above, the problem is only with the AMOUNT. Measure and log your food, eat enough but not too much.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    ok guys, I dont mean literally scared so I wont eat. What I mean is, I want to make sure Im eating healthy..even low fat and 'diet' foods are laden with sugar. Dont think I need psychiatric assessment just yet!!

thanks for your concern...i think!

I know EXACTLY what you mean. And yes, I do get that feeling a lot.
  • Tigermum9
    Options
    I know I have to eat, but I WILL NOT go back to where I was last year.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    No that's a sign of an eating disorder

Kinda like when you eat something bad for you and get the look/feeling of pleasure. I think that's just as much of an eating disorder.

If food is supposed to be looked at as fuel, then lack of eating or eating too much both are eating disorders. But we all have our opinions.

The definition of an eating disorder isn't a matter of opinion. It's pretty clearly outlined by the APA, NEDA, and a variety of other organizations.

Being afraid to eat is definitely a sign of an eating disorder. Frequent, out of control binge eating is also a sign of an eating disorder. That, however, has no relevance whatsoever to this thread, given that the original post asked about being afraid to eat and not about binge eating.

To the OP: I'm sure many people, when they first start out, feel that they don't quite know what they should and shouldn't be eating or what to do, and that can be overwhelming and, yes, even a little scary. There's all kinds of information (and misinformation) out there about what we should and shouldn't be eating. However, in order for this to become a real lifestyle that can last a lifetime, you eventually need to let go of some of that anxiety. If you can't, or you feel that anxiety growing, then yes, you are at the start of what could become and eating disorder, and you should definitely seek help. If you have previously experienced an eating disorder and are feeling that way, you should get help, as eating disorders don't just happen and then disappear - they are a lifelong struggle. However, if you can remind yourself that there are no "bad" foods, that no food is going to individually make you gain weight as long as you are keeping an eye on your calories, and that eating some junk food now and then isn't going to kill you, you'll be fine. I think the best approach is the 90/10 approach: fresh, whole, healthy foods 90% of the time, and then treats and junk 10% of the time, for that little satisfaction.

Also, next time, if you don't want people to jump to conclusions in their responses, you might want to try being a little more specific in your posting. Your original post does indeed sound a bit like someone developing an eating disorder.
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options

You're not alone!!

All the best to you!!

Quit going on "diets" then and learn to change your entire life. It worked for you to look at it that way :)

A diet for me IS a lifestyle change. I don't do the fad diets...that's why I made that clear in my post.
  • Tigermum9
    Options
    No that's a sign of an eating disorder

Kinda like when you eat something bad for you and get the look/feeling of pleasure. I think that's just as much of an eating disorder.

If food is supposed to be looked at as fuel, then lack of eating or eating too much both are eating disorders. But we all have our opinions.

The definition of an eating disorder isn't a matter of opinion. It's pretty clearly outlined by the APA, NEDA, and a variety of other organizations.

Being afraid to eat is definitely a sign of an eating disorder. Frequent, out of control binge eating is also a sign of an eating disorder. That, however, has no relevance whatsoever to this thread, given that the original post asked about being afraid to eat and not about binge eating.

To the OP: I'm sure many people, when they first start out, feel that they don't quite know what they should and shouldn't be eating or what to do, and that can be overwhelming and, yes, even a little scary. There's all kinds of information (and misinformation) out there about what we should and shouldn't be eating. However, in order for this to become a real lifestyle that can last a lifetime, you eventually need to let go of some of that anxiety. If you can't, or you feel that anxiety growing, then yes, you are at the start of what could become and eating disorder, and you should definitely seek help. If you have previously experienced an eating disorder and are feeling that way, you should get help, as eating disorders don't just happen and then disappear - they are a lifelong struggle. However, if you can remind yourself that there are no "bad" foods, that no food is going to individually make you gain weight as long as you are keeping an eye on your calories, and that eating some junk food now and then isn't going to kill you, you'll be fine. I think the best approach is the 90/10 approach: fresh, whole, healthy foods 90% of the time, and then treats and junk 10% of the time, for that little satisfaction.

Also, next time, if you don't want people to jump to conclusions in their responses, you might want to try being a little more specific in your posting. Your original post does indeed sound a bit like someone developing an eating disorder.

I should have def worded it better, my apologies. But have some great responses thank you. It may seem that I do have an eating disorder but I am 100% in a better position than last year. Maybe just being a little over analysing when choosing food....