Gastric bypass help!

Options
13»

Replies

• chelley_79
    chelley_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Gastric Bypass is fantastic! Changed my life forever. For some of us, there was no other choice, and GBP has a way better success rate than the one posted on this forum. Research would be good for some of us.

Amen to that!! Best decision of my life!! Alot happier and way healthier now... to each their own.
  • Daisyboohoo
    Daisyboohoo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I need help! Had two birthdays this week... Father-in-law turned 70! I picked up 1.5kg. Now need to loose 7kg by 18 July 2013 BEFORE my gastric bypass surgery! Is this possible????
    If I don't loose it they will not operate.
    PLEASE help... I am desperate!
    :-(

I would like to thank every-one who has responded... For both the positive feedback and also those who gave negative feedback. It is always good to hear what others have to say...
    I would like to set something straight... I had TWO birthdays within three days (both my parents-in-law) and last week I also had a birthday (my mom's) and YES, it is NO excuse and I knew about the surgery for a long time.... But the fact of the matter is, I am fat because I struggle with food! If this was not the case, then I wouldn't need help.

HOWEVER....GOOD NEWS! The pick up of 1.5kg was a false alarm (I was weighing at my mother-in-law!) Back home on my own scale I actually LOST! No wonder I was so upset, because I really worked hard and tried my best through all the birthdays!
    NOW I only have 2.8kg to loose by 18 July 2013!
  • Daisyboohoo
    Daisyboohoo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Gastric Bypass is fantastic! Changed my life forever. For some of us, there was no other choice, and GBP has a way better success rate than the one posted on this forum. Research would be good for some of us.

Amen to that!! Best decision of my life!! Alot happier and way healthier now... to each their own.

Thank you!!
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Why GBP surgery?
    I'm working with a guy now who started his journey at 700+LBS and is now down to the mid 500LBS.
    He just works out every other day and eats right.

GBP does cause you to lose weight but only has a 5% success rate long term.
    And its a huge change to your system.

If you do get the surgery, studies show better nutrient uptake from the system but youll have to dial down your intake big time, as well as drinking a lot of your calories.

What you are saying is simply not true. If you want to convince anyone that GBP has a 5% long term success rate then cite your source.. I also challenge you to find ANY study that proves that diet and exercise alone has as good or HIGHER success rate than those patients who had GBP... Truth is.. GBP is a tool that will HELP patients stick with a calorie deficit for long enough to lose a significant amount of weight.. They may not lose ALL their weight and keep it all off... but over the long term, GBP are exponentially more successful than morbidly obese people who went the diet and exercise alone route. Those who have the BEST results are those who use their bariatric procedure as a tool in order to help them stick with the calorie deficit AND add a moderate amount of exercise. I'm not saying that people shouldn't TRY to do it without surgery.. there indeed are some who can do it this way... but before you go spewing statistics you need to have your facts straight.

Call my friend Dr Matt Andry and ask him personally.
    He does the surgeries only as a last resort and will explain why its not a smart idea.

The whole reason why is the body wants what the body wants.
    If you train it for gluttony, it want to be a glutton.
    If you reverse engineer your brain to eat healthy, it wants to be healthy.

Get your head straight before cutting out your stomach because if it isnt, your body will find a way to get those calories in so it can continue being a glutton.

http://andrymedicalservices.com

Actually for some of us it works almost in reverse. I tried diets, I tried MFP, I tried exercise, etc etc. When I committed to having surgery (RNY, Sept 2012), I knew I had to work hard and change my thinking. But what I didn't realize were the nuances and ingrained habits that were so deep that were preventing the other less-invasive techniques from working. Having surgery and having so many food restrictions forced me to confront the little things that I was doing wrong. The things I didn't even KNOW about!

Good luck to OP. It's a tough road, but well worth it when your health improves and you can do things you have never done before. Be ready to deal with a lot of mental stuff and learn, and BE SURE to follow your surgeon's program because that is what makes you successful in the long run!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Some good information from my friend Dr Adel Moussa in Germany.
    I asked "Adel, what causes such low success rates in GBP patients in long term? I'm on a forum with a member trying to explain that there are better ways to lose fat as opposed to cutting up the digestive track."

Adel writes:
    "I guess it is partly due to the "next round in increases in tummy size"... I mean you got to practice eat so much that you actually become severely obese, so if you can to it once, you can do it twice just takes another 10 years => " There was a significant increase in failures and decrease in excellent results at 10 years when compared with 5 years. The failure rate when all patients are followed for at least 10 years was 20.4% for morbidly obese patients and 34.9% for super obese patients" - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1856611/

similar results here and especially among the "really intense eating trainers" *rofl* ?> "Weight regain was observed within 24 months after surgery in approximately 50% of patients. Both weight regain and surgical failure were higher in the superobese group. Studies in regard to metabolic and hormonal mechanisms underlying weight regain might elucidate the causes of this finding." http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11695-007-9265-1

bypass or not, in the end you need to make a change... if you are too weak you fail - sooner or later => http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19852902 (lose control, gain weight)"

So again its not a matter of finding "what" works but finding if OP has the fortitude to change the lifestyle so drastically.

Now if she came to me asking for diet and exercise advice I'd simply say:
    "Eat slightly below TDEE, walk 10k steps a day, lift weights 2-4x a week and sleep well."

That prescription works for everyone.
    Including T2D and PCOS.

If you need friends in the same boat look to TheDean1td1.
    He's lost 155lbs eating 3k+ a day and working out 3x a week.

Some don't have the fortitude though and just want the easy way out.
    Probably took years of practice to get where you are today.
    Getting the fat off takes time too.

Not trying to be a douche but welcome to reality.

Good luck.

OP if you ever need help please send a PM.
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

"There is no way someone could lose 15lbs in a healthy manner".....I'm assuming this is a typo.

Doesn't 7 kg equal like 15.4 lbs??
  • Seriously? That's a bit to lose by then. If its that serious, I'd go for a liquid diet. Ask your doctor, because they've got those programs. They can also keep track of your diet and make sure you're getting the proper nutrients. I wouldn't try that on my own though.
  • splatt1961
    splatt1961 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I haven't read every bif of this discussion and can only add what my experience is. I have had a gastric balloon and after a year tried a gastric band, which is stil in but isn't inflated at the moment. All I can say is, that some of this has worked in the short term but not the long term. I can still eat above the calories required for me to either lose weight or maintain with the band in. I have dieted all my life, I have now joined MFP and after nearly 3 weeks feel a little more in control and less like this is a diet but a choice. I know some might not understand but it is my head that needs fixing and that is what I am trying to do. To change years of habitual yo yo dieting, not feeling good about yourself and worthless takes some time to change. I hope that I will succeed in this approach as I feel it is the only one I have as I know the other ways are only "Sticking Plasters". It is with disappointment that I write that as I too thought they were my only salvation, only to find that I put weight on and then some more. Everyone is different but only a small percentage of people who have surgery succeed.