Almond milk, Soy milk, Rice milk, cow milk?!

Options

Replies

• two_octopodes
    two_octopodes Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I drink skim or 1% cow's milk and unsweetened almond milk (vanilla or plain). The almond milk thing is new to me- I absolutely adore it! Plus, I've recently discovered I may have prediabetes/insulin resistance, so I'm experimenting with cutting carbs in order to control blood glucose numbers- since almond milk is much lower in carbs than cow's milk, it's quickly becoming my go-to milk choice.

For those who drink soy milk- is that something that you can just drink by itself or is it only something that you add to smoothies or other things?
  • rileyscoutko
    rileyscoutko Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Also think of the environmental impacts- soy milk has questionable farming ethics, dairy farms have extremely questionable ethics, rice milk seems to be generally ok, and almond milk can effect the grounds where the almonds are grown because they are being mass produced. However, out of the options almond or dairy will be your best bet. Watch the sugar and farming methods for almond milk, and look for local farms when buying dairy to help support them rather than mass producing farms that harm the cows from over milking. That's your best bet in my opinion :3
    48193369 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use goat's or sheep (skimmed) as I am lactose intolerant.

Although all milk contains a lot of hidden sugar. Skimmed is definitely lower calorie wise.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I drink real milk and vary among whole, skim and 1%.

The best I can tell soybeans and almonds don't produce milk so you have to create it in a factory and bastardize the English language to call it "milk," which I find rather ironic as the clean eating crowd, which otherwise espouses avoiding processed foods, drinks that crap. It's all part of the joke that is diet food.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Cow milk.

Almonds, Beans, Rice--They don't have nipples, so you can't milk them.
  • postcard32
    postcard32 Posts: 23
    Options
    I can't have milk ( lactose intolerant) so I don't really buy any. Hubby and daughter like 2% so I do get it for them every now and then. We use almond or soy milk for cereal mostly though. I can tolerate greek yogurt so I use it in smoothies.
  • morethanlost
    morethanlost Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Rice,soy & almond.
    No dairy! ! !
    Blegh:x
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I just switched to whole organic grassfeed milk.. It's sooooo creamy I love it..

But my son is having a fit.. so i'll probably also get him the 1% he likes or the regualr whole milk (cause calcium and protein is good for him!)

I am considering getting almond milk again for smoothies.. but i really like the added protein that I get by using regular milk..

Oh for the gentleman who said this:
    The best I can tell soybeans and almonds don't produce milk so you have to create it in a factory and bastardize the English language to call it "milk," which I find rather ironic as the clean eating crowd, which otherwise espouses avoiding processed foods, drinks that crap. It's all part of the joke that is diet food.

Almond milk is fairly clean, if you check lables and avoid the brand with lots of additives (like everything else on the market!)

How to Make Raw Vanilla Almond Milk

Raw Vanilla Almond Milk

1 cup soaked almonds
    (Soak in a bowl in the refrigerator overnight and rinse before using)
    3 cups water
    1 vanilla bean, seeds scooped out
    3-5 soft pitted dates (or soak hard dates in water for 1/2 hour) or
    other sweetener to taste such as honey or stevia

To make raw almond milk blend the soaked almonds with the water until smooth. Then strain the mixture through a sprout bag, cheesecloth, or strainer into a big bowl. Save the almond pulp in a container and put in the refrigerator for later use.

Put the almond milk back into the blender carafe and blend in the vanilla seeds and dates or other sweetener until smooth. This milk will last in the refrigerator for about 3-5 days. Shake well before using. Variation: Blend in a banana and use a pinch of nutmeg to make a festive rawnog.

Is it processed?? In the strictest sense of the word?? Sure.. but it's fairly clean as most clean eaters would define clean eating..
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I drink soy milk. I've never liked cow's milk so I switched to soy decades ago. At the time it was the only milk alternative available in my area. Now it's just habit, and I often have trouble meeting my protein goal. Sometimes I drink almond because my husband always has some around. He doesn't like cow's milk or soy and uses almond milk for cereal.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    As I've gotten older, my body's become less able to handle cow's milk, though I can still do cheese just fine - go figure. As a result, I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my protein shakes in the morning, since protein shakes with water taste horrid to my sensibilities.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    I just switched to whole organic grassfeed milk.. It's sooooo creamy I love it..

But my son is having a fit.. so i'll probably also get him the 1% he likes or the regualr whole milk (cause calcium and protein is good for him!)

I am considering getting almond milk again for smoothies.. but i really like the added protein that I get by using regular milk..

Almond milk is fairly clean, if you check lables and avoid the brand with lots of additives (like everything else on the market!)

Raw Vanilla Almond Milk

1 cup soaked almonds
    3 cups water

To make raw almond milk blend the soaked almonds with the water until smooth. Then strain the mixture through a sprout bag, cheesecloth, or strainer into a big bowl. Save the almond pulp in a container and put in the refrigerator for later use.

Put the almond milk back into the blender carafe and blend in the vanilla seeds and dates or other sweetener until smooth. This milk will last in the refrigerator for about 3-5 days. Shake well before using. Variation: Blend in a banana and use a pinch of nutmeg to make a festive rawnog.

Is it processed?? In the strictest sense of the word?? Sure.. but it's fairly clean as most clean eaters would define clean eating..

Oh, I'm sure most clean eaters would call it "clean." That's the nice thing about a word with no definition. You manipulate its meaning to your own ends. Lab created almond "milk"? Okay. Bread? unclean. I get it . . . but thanks for the entertainment disguising itself as knowledge.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I've recently started using Non-GMO Almond milk and coconut milk in smoothies and recipes for the taste. I don't drink cow's milk by personal choice.

I really wish people would stop bashing others for their personal choices though. Who cares if someone calls something clean or not? It doesn't change the essence of the question or response.
  • cilu90
    cilu90 Posts: 31
    Options
    All of the above except soy (I have a thyroid problem and soy is no bueno for that) and I stay away from non fat milk (high sugars, very little nutrition after pasteurization and processing). I would add oat milk if you can find it (I can find Pacific brand here). 4g of protein, 25% of your vitamin D, 30% of your daily calcium...close to cows milk for those. It comes in plain and vanilla here. But I like to blend with other milks to get a flavor I like or just use them in smoothies or cereal. Im a big water drinker for just quenching thirst.
  • cilu90
    cilu90 Posts: 31
    Options
    Oh, and I love whole raw milk taste wise. It is very creamy and good for you despite the fat (which isn't a bad thing if your overall diet is good).. But as I've gotten older, as others have mentioned, it does not love me back so much! So for now, my only dairy is cheese or greek yogurt, both of which are fine for most lactose intolerant people due to the fact that they contain enzymes that break down lactose that LI people are short on.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Grass Fed Cow Milk, Organic Goat Milk, Hemp Milk. Yum, Yum, Yum.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Raw Vanilla Almond Milk

1 cup soaked almonds
    3 cups water

Oh, I'm sure most clean eaters would call it "clean." That's the nice thing about a word with no definition. You manipulate its meaning to your own ends. Lab created almond "milk"? Okay. Bread? unclean. I get it . . . but thanks for the entertainment disguising itself as knowledge.

Bread is unclean??? I was not aware of that.. Bread using GMO ingredients that is chock full of additives would however be unclean..

You don't like the word fine.. dont' like the word.. i dont' really like it either, but I understand what most people are referring to when they say it. I just strive to eat like my grandmother used to cook. Everything from scratch, everything fresh, everything simple and good and real. It's the same thing to me. They call it milk.. is it really milk? idk.. but who cares what they call it. If it's made from whole real natural ingredients, then it's clean. They can call it a building for all I care..

Point is.. it's made from real, whole, raw simple ingredients, that are grown in nature and mixed together.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Bread is unclean??? I was not aware of that.. Bread using GMO ingredients that is chock full of additives would however be unclean..

You don't like the word fine.. dont' like the word.. i dont' really like it either, but I understand what most people are referring to when they say it. I just strive to eat like my grandmother used to cook. Everything from scratch, everything fresh, everything simple and good and real. It's the same thing to me. They call it milk.. is it really milk? idk.. but who cares what they call it. If it's made from whole real natural ingredients, then it's clean. They can call it a building for all I care..

Point is.. it's made from real, whole, raw simple ingredients, that are grown in nature and mixed together.

On MFP, people use the term "clean eating" to mean many different things, but outside MFP the most common definition I've seen is minimally processed foods. Bread would not fit that description because flour is not "minimally" processed. Unground whole grains would fit.

Some definitions take it to an extreme and say all grains are not "clean" because they are all processed. Threshing is apparently processing while butchering is not, even though both only remove the outer layer and both can be done by hand.

But for the most common definition I've seen, things like whole oats, bulgar wheat, quinoa, brown rice, etc. are considered clean if they are not ground and have the germ and bran intact.
  • BeachIron
    Options

Raw Vanilla Almond Milk

1 cup soaked almonds
    3 cups water

And yet, you drink fake "milk" . . .
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I was always a big milk drinker (cow's) but over the years, the knowledge of the milk industry and all that it entails really turned me off. I recently became a vegetarian, and I still do dairy, but I have cut down. I really love almond milk (unsweetened), and my favorite is actually Blue Diamond's almond coconut milk. It's so rich and creamy, with a hint of "the tropics"-- love that stuff!

ETA: there is some confusion over almond milk. My almond milk has MORE calcium than cow's milk. Read the labels.
  • cseckinger1
    Options
    I don't drink milk bc of the hormones. I just don't do dairy at all!