Krispy Kreme Challenge

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    200 cal is one of the "cheapest" donuts. They go up to 400 calories per donut, depending on which one.

I don't even burn 600 running 5 miles.

They used the 200 calorie donuts. That's why we keep saying 200 calories. If you aren't interested or think it's terrible that's fine. Many of us would enjoy doing it and wouldn't gain weight eating that many. Two weekends ago I had half a dozen KK donuts and I still lost weight. This Friday I will be eating a box of Captain Crunch and will still lose.
  • Gharley64
    Gharley64 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Imagine the positive results if you did this WITHOUT the crappy eating..)
  • EnderNC
    EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be a killjoy, but 7700 people at over $5 bucks a dozen, would be almost another $40,000 for the Children's Hospital. Really? If the goal was to raise money for the kids, just do it without the doughnuts and give the extra 40k to the kids.

Fun hater.

Have all the fun you want. Just be honest about it. It isn't about the kids. Self-indulgence with kids as a secondary thought. If the kids were the primary motivation, ditch the doughnuts and give the money to the kids. Is honesty too much to ask for? It's like all these galas the uber-rich have for whatever charity they are raising money for. It's simply a rataionalization for a party.

I thought self-indulgence is why a lot of us needed to be here in the first place?

Lee, we get it. You don't like the race. The race was started by a couple guys in college that wanted a challenge, so they ran to krispy kreme and it grew from there. The guys in college were doing it for fun, cause that's what some people do. It's something fun and unique that the guys have helped grow into a good cause. Don't complain about the kids not getting enough. At least they're getting something. If you don't like the race, just don't do it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't like donuts, plus I'd hurl if I tried to run after eating a dozen donuts. :sick:
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Dozen of these:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTc5i4GWQOAY2x1ORdqNO7vVvmg1-GfwBTe-PPBwJ7MZiYEeKySFg

Or
    thumb_600.jpg?1301198634
    thumb_600.jpg?1285031058?1373385547
    Germans%20drinking%20beer%20comp.jpg
    url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=6ZrS7eQvigNUWM&tbnid=xRl_eAhqt_QE_M:&ved=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foodspotting.com%2Fplaces%2F31462-lady-m-cake-boutique-new-york%2Fbest&ei=VjHcUdm-Ga7H4AOLuIDYCw&bvm=bv.48705608,d.dmg&psig=AFQjCNFEwhYlG1GG-uP4HvnMpoMbTbjqgg&ust=1373471428665766
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Would calling it "Gain a pound in one day" challenge not have a desired effect on the turnout?

I'll just come out and say WHOOOO CAREEEEES!!! Honestly, if you're afraid to gain a pound, which is the amount you could lose in a week if you're losing slowly and steadily, then you should probably rethink your view of weight loss.

Lifestyle changes tend to include occasional binges. Especially acceptable if you're still running and if they are for charity.
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    the most shocking thing to me in this thread is that a dozen KKs are only 2400cals.
    a dozen DD glazed is 3120.

Krisy Kreme is the LOW CAL alternative! i.e., "diet food" (lolz)

That's because DD makes a superior doughnut ...

I will have to be a cheerleader this year perhaps next...

OP is right sometimes you need to shake up the routine and have some fun..
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be a killjoy, but 7700 people at over $5 bucks a dozen, would be almost another $40,000 for the Children's Hospital. Really? If the goal was to raise money for the kids, just do it without the doughnuts and give the extra 40k to the kids.

Fun hater.

Have all the fun you want. Just be honest about it. It isn't about the kids. Self-indulgence with kids as a secondary thought. If the kids were the primary motivation, ditch the doughnuts and give the money to the kids. Is honesty too much to ask for? It's like all these galas the uber-rich have for whatever charity they are raising money for. It's simply a rataionalization for a party.

I thought self-indulgence is why a lot of us needed to be here in the first place?

Lee, we get it. You don't like the race. The race was started by a couple guys in college that wanted a challenge, so they ran to krispy kreme and it grew from there. The guys in college were doing it for fun, cause that's what some people do. It's something fun and unique that the guys have helped grow into a good cause. Don't complain about the kids not getting enough. At least they're getting something. If you don't like the race, just don't do it.

well said.

also, every time lee makes a post complaining about the race from here on out i shred a $5.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Would calling it "Gain a pound in one day" challenge not have a desired effect on the turnout?

I'll just come out and say WHOOOO CAREEEEES!!! Honestly, if you're afraid to gain a pound, which is the amount you could lose in a week if you're losing slowly and steadily, then you should probably rethink your view of weight loss.

Lifestyle changes tend to include occasional binges. Especially acceptable if you're still running and if they are for charity.

Obviously, I care, or I would not be on MFP, logging.

I don't need to re-think my weighloss just because eating 2,400+ calories of nutritionless sugar and fat in one sitting, with up to 120 grams of SATURATED fat from partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils (daily recommended limit for a healthy adult being 15 grams) does not sound like a particularly bright idea.
  • cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    this sounds nasty
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    As much as I love KK donuts, I just can't do it. I'd get soo sick I would never want a donut again! LOL It's not worth it... hahaha Ya'll have fun though!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    200 cal is one of the "cheapest" donuts. They go up to 400 calories per donut, depending on which one.

I don't even burn 600 running 5 miles.

They used the 200 calorie donuts. That's why we keep saying 200 calories. If you aren't interested or think it's terrible that's fine. Many of us would enjoy doing it and wouldn't gain weight eating that many. Two weekends ago I had half a dozen KK donuts and I still lost weight. This Friday I will be eating a box of Captain Crunch and will still lose.

Thanks for your support. You are correct about 200 calories (2400 total) being the correct calorie count. Here is the evidence:
    http://www.krispykreme.com/nutri.pdf
    http://www.krispykremechallenge.com/

Yesterday I consumed 3502 calories which for me was a deficit of 104 calories
    For July 1st- July 8th I consumed 25,499 calories (3,187 average) vs. a maintenance target of 25,753 (3,219 average)

I am very close to all of my fat, protein and carbohydrate targets each week (I prefer weekly instead of daily tracking)

I am not a big guy at 176cm 61.8 kg. It's not very hard to fit a box of donuts into my weekly calorie/macro targets.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    I like the idea of the Iowa State Doughnut Run better... http://triathlon.stuorg.iastate.edu/tri/?q=DoughnutRun

I would probably die from all that sugar, but it would (possibly) be worth it.

I found that on Google as well! I would love to run that next year!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Stuffing down that many KK donuts all at once would be a challenge for me, period. They sure are tasty, but after 4 or 5 in a row I cannot imagine my tummy would be happy with that decision.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options

I am not sure what you mean by this. I am at my ideal weight right now (about 10% body fat and a BMI of 20 is about perfect for my current focus on long distance running), hit a new lifting PR yesterday and am gaining speed and endurance. I just started running last fall, hope to break a 6 min mile in a race tomorrow and will be running my first marathon in a few months.

My cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar levels are all perfect. A dozen donuts will easily fit into my macros:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1033650-july-3-000-calorie-diet-challenge

I ate these types of foods last fall as well when I was losing weight. I track my macro nutrient intake with an excel spreadsheet and am very close to my carb, fat and protein targets every week

Where is the problem?
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Just thinking about eating a dozen donuts and running a total of 5 miles makes me want to puke! Though from the running or eating I don't know; either way I think I'll sit this one out.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Only a dozen...pfft
    6874536089_532509b3ab.jpg
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    This is one of the best events you can every witness in NC if you get the chance to go! I saw it while touring NC State about four years ago. The costumes and camaraderie are hilarious!! (Plus, it's not a bad excuse to eat Krispy Kreme.)

I would love to see this event in person!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    I'm sorry, but running 5 miles won't even burn 2 donuts. Eating more than your daily recommended caloric intake in donuts does not sound like an idea that should in any way be associated with medical professionals.

There are lots of doughnut haters in the main forums. Therefore I created a new thread inside of the MFP Speed Eating Group. It is a much safer place for us to have fun challenges and post videos without judgement of our food choices!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/7111-mfp-speed-eating-competition

Please join our group!

Here is the new thread inside the MFP group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1040605-krispy-kreme-challenge
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I am not sure what you mean by this. I am at my ideal weight right now (about 10% body fat and a BMI of 20 is about perfect for my current focus on long distance running), hit a new lifting PR yesterday and am gaining speed and endurance. I just started running last fall, hope to break a 6 min mile in a race tomorrow and will be running my first marathon in a few months.

My cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar levels are all perfect. A dozen donuts will easily fit into my macros:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1033650-july-3-000-calorie-diet-challenge

I ate these types of foods last fall as well when I was losing weight. I track my macro nutrient intake with an excel spreadsheet and am very close to my carb, fat and protein targets every week

Where is the problem?

This actually sounds like a lot of fun. I'll check it out in the other forum away from the couch potato and food hating killjoys.