Need to lose 100 lbs. or more? Lets start a group!

Options

Replies

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Renee27 - Add me to those that hate exercise - and can't afford to take classes or buy fancy equipment. However, I do love dancing and I dance - (making up my own moves - kinda what I did back in my youth) in my living room where I have some space. I can't lecture and say I love doing it, because I'm a big TV watcher - (lack of hobbies - again no money) but I TRY to get up during the commercials and do 2-3 minutes of free-style dancing. I was also shown the waltz lately and I practice that too. :wink: So if you can just find some kind of MOVEMENT you enjoy it won't seem like exercise. And those few minutes over the course of a day do add up. I also go to malls, K-Mart, etc. and grab a shopping cart and just walk around. I don't buy anything, I try to keep moving with as little stops as possible. I think this is a great exercise because the cart helps support your weight and you can walk a bit easier than normal. Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    i too hate to exercise! however, i do love the way i feel afterward. it definitely feels good knowing you accomplished something that will help you succeed! my advice: start out slow. do things you like to do! once you're ready, try something else. i like to mix up my routine a lot (i get bored very easily) so some days i'll do the bike, others i'll do the elliptical or i'll pop in a workout DVD. but believe me, you aren't alone on hating to do it! most days i force myself to work out (cuz i'm usually exhausted after work), but i swear you will feel better once you get it done!

:smile:
  • reneeb82
    reneeb82 Posts: 32
    Options
    Yep, I can't stand exercising either. I can't believe anyone could hate it worse than me. But everyday I just tell myself I have to do it and I do. Somedays I try to talk myself out of it but when I wake up first thing I do is to make a choice to live today as healthy as I can.
    I am taking the advice of something I learned when I was going through a deep depression. First off, fake it till you make it. And they would also tell you that you have to make a decision to be happy. So everyday I remake these decisions. And if I am having a bad day I fake it. I am not always happy, I am not always going to make perfect decisions but I sure as hell gonna try.
    Maybe one day I will have faked loving exercise enough that it will take until then I just keep plugging along. Hating every second.
  • mrtechaddict
    Options
    I am having a REALLY difficult time starting to exercise!!

I was having this problem a few months ago and someone on this board suggested listening to podcasts. I subscribe to whatever topic I'd like to learn about in iTunes, then download them to my iPod. I can easily go for an hour + long walk and not even realize it because I'm so involved with what I'm hearing. Works great for me and I've lost over 100lbs doing it!

Another option would be to get a step aerobics type of step. Put it in front of the TV and step the whole time you watch a show. You can burn hundreds of calories just by watching a half hour TV show!
    :smile:
  • krklstephi
    krklstephi Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hey, just checking in. Been really busy. Not doing so well with exercise, but trying to eat right. Gotta get back to work...
  • ColetteDuchnowski
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean - I hate to exercise. This weekend I played Wii with my 5 ear old. We boxed on Sunday night and of course he won but my arms hurt so bad today that they feel like they are going to fall off. Also - if you look at the database of exercise on this website there are some great ideas. Water jogging (exactly what it sounds like) is something I would have never thought of but is movement. Look at the list, it will probably inspire some movement. Keep with it and good luck.

I do water jogging in the pool. It works well if you don't have a deep end....I go round and round until I get tired...at its great resistance too!!

Colette
  • ColetteDuchnowski
    Options
    I also go to malls, K-Mart, etc. and grab a shopping cart and just walk around. I don't buy anything, I try to keep moving with as little stops as possible. I think this is a great exercise because the cart helps support your weight and you can walk a bit easier than normal. Good Luck! :flowerforyou:

I did that today Robin. I went into Wal-Mart for some salad greens and walked around with the cart for a while. It does help you walk and takes some of the pressure off your back. They just got done remodeling our Wal-Mart and you need a map to find out where they put everything...*rolling eyes*...We got new restrooms tho...lol

Colette
  • ColetteDuchnowski
    Options
    High fructose corn syrup...yuck!! I have no idea why they want to put that garbage in food. I love yogurt and one of these days I am going to get myself a yogurt maker and make my own!!!! That way I will know everything that goes into it. I have come to believe that the food manufacturers don't care about us...its all about the money for them. They could care less if their food or the additives they use cause obesity, diabetes, cancer...you get the drift. I only eat veggies that are fresh...frozen if I can't get fresh. I will not use anything in a can. Some of the liners in them have Bisphenol A in them. Its getting dangerous to buy fresh food at the store anymore.

Ok..off my soap box now...

Colette
    {snip}

And since we're calling out food manufacturers, don't you find it odd that yogurt started out being a health food and now you almost can't find yogurt with no high fructose corn syrup? Especially the nonfat ones that come in all the neat flavors! And they advertise how people are losing all this weight with these yogurts.... grrr. I know there's a campaign out now to make it seem like all sweeteners are the same, but high fructose corn syrup is particularly bad once it gets into the system. It interferes with the body's communication system, makes you feel like you're still hungry even though you just ate... which of course is good for food manufacturers... sigh.

Some days I think I should just buy myself a little farm and never eat any food that I haven't produced myself... just kidding, but really, it's so hard to trust food sources these days.
  • Buccinator
    Options
    I'm joining too. I'd like to lose about 190. I've always been overweight, but for the past three years I've suffered from TWO undiagnosed (until two weeks ago) autoimmune diseases. So I have two diseases that cause my immune system to attack my joints, cause fevers, exhaustion, joint pain/stiffness. It led to a lot of weight gain. A few weeks ago I went to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and they diagnosed me and also said that losing weight and exercising would not only help with my joint pain, but also help my natural immunity, since the drugs to treat such problems are immune suppressors. It's only day 2 of my diet and week 2/day 2 of exercising. So far I'm doing really well with the diet, but not so hot with the exercising. I'm exercising, but I don't enjoy it. Does anyone have any exercise recommendations for a girl with sore joints?
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    I'm joining too. I'd like to lose about 190. I've always been overweight, but for the past three years I've suffered from TWO undiagnosed (until two weeks ago) autoimmune diseases. So I have two diseases that cause my immune system to attack my joints, cause fevers, exhaustion, joint pain/stiffness. It led to a lot of weight gain. A few weeks ago I went to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and they diagnosed me and also said that losing weight and exercising would not only help with my joint pain, but also help my natural immunity, since the drugs to treat such problems are immune suppressors. It's only day 2 of my diet and week 2/day 2 of exercising. So far I'm doing really well with the diet, but not so hot with the exercising. I'm exercising, but I don't enjoy it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a girl with sore joints?

I don't have many answers for you, since I'm unfamiliar with autoimmune diseases. I'm assuming you can't take anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprophen, which helps my joints. If you haven't tried these yet, you might try icing your joints after you exercise, its a standard practice among atheletes.

I hope someone can give you more suggestions. Keep up your positive attitude, girlfriend! :flowerforyou:
  • Buccinator
    Options
    [/quote]

I don't have many answers for you, since I'm unfamiliar with autoimmune diseases. I'm assuming you can't take anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprophen, which helps my joints. If you haven't tried these yet, you might try icing your joints after you exercise, its a standard practice among atheletes.

I hope someone can give you more suggestions. Keep up your positive attitude, girlfriend! :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

I have taken prescription anti-inflammatories, and they really don't do much for the joint pain, since it's so severe/an on-going/constant thing. Sometimes ice helps, but usually heat is better. Just depends on what the pain is like. I know that's weird, but that's how it is! I can (mostly) handle the joint pain, it's just trying to figure out which exercises to do that I'll like and are okay for my joints too!
  • BethyAnny
    BethyAnny Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and need to lose a lot of weight, too. I didn't know quite where to jump in, but I read some of the posts, and this group seems really friendly. So, here I am! :flowerforyou:

I'm 50, married, and have a 7 yr. old daughter. I do NOT like that I'm passing my unhealthy eating habits on to her. I've always been rather stubborn, and don't like anybody telling me what I should do. So, I've got to be willing to give that up.

Also, I'm somebody who eats, "Because I Deserve It" - so that's my motto. I need to reframe that to be, I'm eating healthy because I deserve it - and so does my family.

Finally, it's always easy to be motivated on Day 1, I just need to remember that every day is Day 1, otherwise I know I'll blow it because it seems so overwhelming. I really need some support.

Thanks for reading!
  • dianewood
    dianewood Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight most of my life. I am my heaviest right now at 345lbs after 14yrs and 3kids (after which I didn't lose any weight). I've been on this plan starting my 3rd week now and have lost almost 5 pounds. Not as much as I'd like, but better than nothing. I'd like to get back to 200lbs which is what I weighed in high school. I'd love to see myself back in my Rockies with my boots!
  • TinkerLuv
    Options
    Yes, me too:blushing: ...happy to be part of the group, need so much encouragement & need to stay focused & motivated:flowerforyou: .
  • Lithuria
    Options
    High fructose corn syrup...yuck!! I have no idea why they want to put that garbage in food. I love yogurt and one of these days I am going to get myself a yogurt maker and make my own!!!! That way I will know everything that goes into it. I have come to believe that the food manufacturers don't care about us...its all about the money for them. They could care less if their food or the additives they use cause obesity, diabetes, cancer...you get the drift. I only eat veggies that are fresh...frozen if I can't get fresh. I will not use anything in a can. Some of the liners in them have Bisphenol A in them. Its getting dangerous to buy fresh food at the store anymore.

Ok..off my soap box now...

Colette

It peeves me off too. If I make a pudding or desert at home you can guarantee it will be better for me than shop bought as well as tasty and yet I don't have any high fructose corn syrup...wouldn't know where to get it even if I wanted it ^_^ So if we ladies can do this wonderful cooking at home, why can't food manufacturers do it in the factories? I understand sure the need for a couple of additives...natural preservatives and what not...but seriously, there is no excuse, they WANT to get us addicted and spending our money on their product by getting us high on their evil evil sugar.

But of course you know what they say...they aren't responsible if people over indulge. Oh no, not their fault.

Well maybe not directly but for sure indirectly. It's like McDonalds if you ask me. I here in the states your maccy d's are whopping huge but here in the UK they are really quite small and pathetic so you ask for a regular (newspeak for small, you can't even buy a small portion anymore arrgh just regular, large and super large) and they give you this piddling little portion of fries. You have to pay extra just so you get enough to fill up and frankly you pay way over the odds for it (I know it's generally rather cheap but for what you get extra...no). Do you get a bigger burger? No, you get some more measly fries which so far as I can tell are fluff wrapped in flavoured cardboard and yet with a calorific value that is, frankly, astoundingly huge. Same with the large drink they'll give you too. I mean seriously, does it really cost that more for that extra bit of water, sugar and flavouring? I doubt it. But you are left with an emptier purse and a body full of nasty, nutritionally devoid calories.

Yeah it's been a while since I've been to a McDonalds and now I quite fancy one lol ^_^ but you get the picture...everyone is at it, make you want more so they can fill up their coffers...but no, they're not responsible if you, naturally, succumb to the urge for more, highly calorific and flavourful but barely filling food.
  • ColetteDuchnowski
    Options
    Its all about the money and how many people they can get addicted to the foods and additives, not to mention a big financial boon to doctors who treat you because of what the USDA and the FDA says they can put into our food supply. The USDA are not nutritionists, their job is to monitor agriculture! Our food pyramid is a joke that perpetuates fatness in our country. They tell us not to eat fats, because it will make us fat. In truth, if you eat the right fats and cut down on your carb intake you will lose. People need to take responsibility for what they eat, but a lot of people are just to busy to take the time to read labels and find out what kind of poisons are entering your body. Also, some just don't care. Our government does not want us healthy...allows doctors to make more money and the pharmaceutical companies are getting richer and richer. Our government is paid off by these corporate companies to pass bills that suit them. They don't care about who gets hurt. Nitrates are know to cause cancer, but they still have it as a preservative in our foods. The government tells to beware of the sun, so we have to use sunscreen which can cause skin cancer and block vitamin D absorption. One more thing and then I will get off my soap box. Our government thinks that just because they passed a health care reform act, it is going help keep medical costs down. It will if they focus it on prevention instead of "curing" something with meds that make the drug companies get rich, and which by the way, some drugs have no more effect than a placebo. We need prevention...we need nutritionists who don't buy into the FDA and USDA food pyramid, leading the way to good healthy eating. I look at some of the diets out there for diabetics and healthy heart diets and I cringe. Too high in carbs, and higher glycemic foods, wrong kinds of fats are suggested for use, and not enough of the good ones. Well, I guess that was more than one thing...lol Oh, about the Big Mac's....they are a bit bigger I guess. Really haven't been to a McD's in a while, but most things are bigger in the states as far as portion control. I think a lot of people in this country have forgotten how to cook, well at least the younger generation. They were raised on fast food and junk foods.

It peeves me off too. If I make a pudding or desert at home you can guarantee it will be better for me than shop bought as well as tasty and yet I don't have any high fructose corn syrup...wouldn't know where to get it even if I wanted it ^_^ So if we ladies can do this wonderful cooking at home, why can't food manufacturers do it in the factories? I understand sure the need for a couple of additives...natural preservatives and what not...but seriously, there is no excuse, they WANT to get us addicted and spending our money on their product by getting us high on their evil evil sugar.

But of course you know what they say...they aren't responsible if people over indulge. Oh no, not their fault.

Well maybe not directly but for sure indirectly. It's like McDonalds if you ask me. I here in the states your maccy d's are whopping huge but here in the UK they are really quite small and pathetic so you ask for a regular (newspeak for small, you can't even buy a small portion anymore arrgh just regular, large and super large) and they give you this piddling little portion of fries. You have to pay extra just so you get enough to fill up and frankly you pay way over the odds for it (I know it's generally rather cheap but for what you get extra...no). Do you get a bigger burger? No, you get some more measly fries which so far as I can tell are fluff wrapped in flavoured cardboard and yet with a calorific value that is, frankly, astoundingly huge. Same with the large drink they'll give you too. I mean seriously, does it really cost that more for that extra bit of water, sugar and flavouring? I doubt it. But you are left with an emptier purse and a body full of nasty, nutritionally devoid calories.

Yeah it's been a while since I've been to a McDonalds and now I quite fancy one lol ^_^ but you get the picture...everyone is at it, make you want more so they can fill up their coffers...but no, they're not responsible if you, naturally, succumb to the urge for more, highly calorific and flavourful but barely filling food.
  • reneeb82
    Options
    Well, I must admit that I like the things that are bad for me. And it really is our fault. If we didn't buy it they wouldn't put it in. I was not happy when they got rid of the bad oil at theatres. Like I went there often. When I did I wanted the good tasting stuff not the healthier choice. It is a shame though. This addiction we (I) have to food. I just love food. That is my problem. I can't remember a time when I didn't.

I have been eating better for 56 days now. I still miss the good stuff but I don't think of it as much. I have stayed away from all that crap food, but I know I will eventually eat it again. Hopefully, by then, I will be able to eat less and be satisfied and not go overboard.

Renee'
    Today I choose to eat healthy and exercise.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    Processed food is the worst, but it so economical. I'm trying to do more cooking to get away from as much of it as possible.
    Have you ever seen the youtube about the 4 yr old McDonalds hamburger?
    [url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh1tUBAW8Sg&feature=related[/url]
    It doesn't grow mold!! The fries don't even turn brown! What are we eating? It's really scarey to think about! I'm hoping to find some healthy, economical recipes to make. The fresh fruit and veg, and lean meats can be expensive, but soda and cheesy-poofs are cheap! Imagine that. If you have any recipes that you would like to share, please post them and I will, too.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    Spicy Sausage Jambalaya
    serves 4

Ingredients
    8 ounce(s) turkey andouille sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
    1 green or yellow pepper, chopped
    1 can(s) (14 1/2-ounce) stewed tomatoes
    1 cup(s) uncooked instant brown rice
    8 ounce(s) chicken tenders, each cut crosswise in half
    1 bunch(es) green onions, sliced

Directions

1.Heat 12-inch skillet on medium until hot. Add sausage and pepper, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    2.Stir in tomatoes with their juice, rice, chicken, 1/2 cup water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until rice is just tender. Remove skillet from heat; stir in green onions.

Nutritional Information
    (per serving)

Calories 265
    Total Fat 6g
    Saturated Fat 2g
    Cholesterol 73mg
    Sodium 830mg
    Total Carbohydrate 30g
    Dietary Fiber 4g
    Sugars --
    Protein 26g
    Calcium
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    well i have been doing alot of exercise and eating alot and am down two pounds so that is good today i discovered and old yoga tape i think will help me focus on the food eating problem i have been haveing lately good luck everyone