Cant eat enough calories in a day!!!!

Options

Replies

• harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Try to give your body a day of rest or two even better. I'm doing the same two workouts 30DS 6x a week and twice a week Zumba. 900 or 1000 calories burn makes me so exhausted I can not eat either.. Don't push yourself too hard, food is MORE important than exercise. Feel free to add me if you wish.
  • Need2lose456
    Need2lose456 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys

I need some help here.....i just cant seem to find enough calories to eat in a day, im trying to eat back exercise calories and almost every day i burn almost 900 calories from Zumba and 30DS and i have no idea what to eat back as its too much food for me.

I also didnt want to start eating junk just to make up calories.

Anyone else experienced this and have any solutions?

Thanks!!!

Do you use a heart rate monitor? I was using MFP estimates and found them to be wildly off in both directions much of the time.

Hi :) yes i use a HRM
  • Need2lose456
    Options
    Shakes are a great way to get in calories

Mixture of fruits
    Mixture of nuts
    Yoghurt
    Coconut oil
    almond milk
    Protein powder

combine the above into one simple shake 1000+ calories depending on quantities . Tastes good and is packed with nutrition.

Noted....sounds good, will give this a shot!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't like protein shakes!

Blasphemy.

They taste funny. :sad:
  • Need2lose456
    Options
    Everyone has made really good suggestions. I would just double check about the exercise really adding up to 900 calories. That is a lot. MFP seems to really overestimate. You want to eat back your exercise calories but you also don't want to eat back too many.

Also dont trust MFP reading, i take mine off my HRM
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I wish I struggled to eat my calories in a day!

Right?
  • Need2lose456
    Options

Blasphemy.

I also cant stand that artificial taste!
  • stephenidea
    Options
    Damn that's a lot of calories. What's your timing between meals?
    #Impressive
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am having the same trouble, I am on 1200 calorie Diet and only get about 1100 calories.

However; I am 66 years old and have health problems with my back and knees, and cannot exercise very much.
    I have degenerative arthritis in my back and knees.

I do try to eat Avocado and peanut butter.
    When people state they don't have that problem, it is because they do a lot of body building and exercise.

As we get older, our appetite is not what it was in our 30s.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Never have any problems eating enough calories - the things that put the weight on in the first place (not junk, things like cheese, sausages - GOOD sausages - nuts, etc.) If you have lots of leafy green veg, then cut those down and add in healthy carbs - boiled new potatoes with their skins on, wholemeal pasta, good quality bread with grains etc. And use Olive oil, real butter, full fat dressings etc if you're really struggling.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Blasphemy.

I also cant stand that artificial taste!

My post-workout shake:
    1 scoop Isoflex peanut butter chocolate protein (99% lactose free due to whey isolate)
    1 banana
    1 cup dark chocolate almond milk.

I promise there is no artificial taste! Like a pb, nutella, sandwhich topped with banana! Runs me about 340 cals, 30g protein, 51g carbs.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Then don't eat back the calories, I've allotted myself 1200 calories a day for the past my months, At least 30% of those days, I've 300+ calories left over. I'm not advocating anorexia here, but Zumba have a hefty workout calorie count and if you eat healthy plant based diet, it's quite fulfilling without much calories. So don't sweat it.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Another way to do this is to even out your intake over a week, rather than on a daily basis, by having over and under days. I eat around an average of 2000 calories per day whether I exercise or not. Some days I'll be over my goal and other days under my goal - but as long as over the week I even out, it all balances. Personally I think it's good to have 'over' days and not always be in deficit, as it reassures my body there is no shortage of food. This is different from having a binge day or 'cheat' day. It's just balancing out over a week, rather than a day. It means you can have a rest day without having to compromise and eat less than you usually do. :)

I do this and it works a treat :happy:

I also hate protein shakes - why have something artificial when you can have some real protein like a nice milkshake and an egg sandwich?
  • Need2lose456
    Options
    Damn that's a lot of calories. What's your timing between meals?
    #Impressive

i try for the following...
    8:30 - breakfast
    10:00 -snack
    12:00- lunch
    14:00-snack
    between 16:00 - 18:00 - snack
    19:30 - 20:00 - dinner

As for the calories, about 300 from 20 minutes of 30DS, and between 500-600 doing 50 minutes of Zumba(Medium Intensity) on X-box Kinect
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest you knock 30 to 40% off those HRM calorie burns before eating them back. Chances are it's significantly overestimating for you.
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Blasphemy.

I agree!
  • cutieryan
    cutieryan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have a spoonful of peanut butter. If you don't like protien shakes try a carnation instant breakfast, more protien than regular milk but without the protien powder taste. Great job with your work outs!
  • jstika
    jstika Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Have a couple of beers, that's what I do, yo! Although, I have NO issues getting enough calories. That is certainly a strange phenomenon to me, even on days where I do a long bike ride instead of my normal commute. Although, I don't worry so much about eating back my calories.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Often I have the same problem. I work out 6 days a week, running, strength training, horseback riding, and I also work a second job at a farm doing manual labor several days a week so on average I burn 800-1100 calories. I often forget to snack at the farm because the horses don't wait for me to take a snack break. I use a HRM because MFP was really overestimating my calories burned.

I'm not a big peanut butter fan but I add almond butter, nuts, etc. like what has already been mentioned, and lots of protein for my muscles. Also, are you on a good multi-vitamin?

When I'm desperate I'll eat Chipotle ... yummy

Even with all that I'm lucky to net 1200 calories but I'm getting better. Good luck and feel free to add me.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sammich and a tall glass of milk!!!

What is hard about that?