38lbs down. No one has noticed.

Options
123457»

Replies

• CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    It's kind of funny when you know a person has noticed and is too polite to bring up the subject of your weight. Last night a male friend did it the right way with a simple "You look good!". :happy:
  • Zoe2901
    Zoe2901 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    wheni lost weight before i think i was down 30-40 lbs before anyone noticed and hubby and family were last to notice really.
    it is disheartening when youve put in so much effort and noone bats an eyelid. but i would try not to worry about it xx
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Been following MFP for a while. Just joined as I felt I wanted to pitch into this thread as it has been something bothering me for a while.

I lost over 35lbs since last April. Since last year I've lost a good 60lbs and since 2011 I've lost 80lbs. It has been a crazy change, dropped from a waist 42" to now bordering 34". Chest dropped another 4 sizes.

Currently I live in London, but whenever I go back home everyone I bump into goes crazy over how much weight I lost. It is the culture back home to be open about these things. When I gained weight everyone commented, but when I lost everyone was nice enough to congratulate me.

In London I've noticed things to be a little different. The culture is to be non-critical of those around you. And what has been mentioned in the thread is right, people just generally feel very uneasy commenting on your weight unless they really know you and you have been losing weight for >5 months or so.

At first I hated it, I questioned whether those around me were just hating. My boss at work is a fitness freak, he does marathons and stuff. I figured he would be the first to comment, but he never did, even when we are out on lunch AND discussing fitness issues and food. Others in the office don't either, basically NO ONE said anything.

But whenever I see friends and family that I haven't seen in ages they shower me with compliments and really give me a morale boost. Ultimately though, retail therapy is the greatest motivation for me. Just going shopping and trying on new sizes and new stuff just makes you realize how far you've traveled. And to top it up, whenever I'm feeling particularly grey about this, my mum sends me a pic of what I used to look like 2 years ago and it suddenly all makes sense. :)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror and still see this obese person. Its like everyday im getting bigger and bigger. No one at work has noticed either and ive lost 38lbs , 20% body weight and down three sizes. I feel like this weight loss is fake and the scales are lying to me.

I dont get why I, or anybody else can not see a difference.

Any thoughts?

people sometimes don't want to say anything even when they notice. I noticed a friend of mine has lost a fair amount, but said nothing. Why? because she's so bada$$ that commenting on her body is like commenting on a pine cone on the ground while watching the most amazing thunderstorm you ever saw in your life.

Just keep going and get yer chin up!
  • g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It can take a long time for people that see you every day to notice that you've lost weight. I'm almost 35lbs down right now, and my husband JUST told me yesterday that my arms and face looked much thinner.

The mirror can lie to you, don't trust it. Trust how you feel - and trust in yourself!
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Been following MFP for a while. Just joined as I felt I wanted to pitch into this thread as it has been something bothering me for a while.

I lost over 35lbs since last April. Since last year I've lost a good 60lbs and since 2011 I've lost 80lbs. It has been a crazy change, dropped from a waist 42" to now bordering 34". Chest dropped another 4 sizes.

Currently I live in London, but whenever I go back home everyone I bump into goes crazy over how much weight I lost. It is the culture back home to be open about these things. When I gained weight everyone commented, but when I lost everyone was nice enough to congratulate me.

In London I've noticed things to be a little different. The culture is to be non-critical of those around you. And what has been mentioned in the thread is right, people just generally feel very uneasy commenting on your weight unless they really know you and you have been losing weight for >5 months or so.

At first I hated it, I questioned whether those around me were just hating. My boss at work is a fitness freak, he does marathons and stuff. I figured he would be the first to comment, but he never did, even when we are out on lunch AND discussing fitness issues and food. Others in the office don't either, basically NO ONE said anything.

But whenever I see friends and family that I haven't seen in ages they shower me with compliments and really give me a morale boost. Ultimately though, retail therapy is the greatest motivation for me. Just going shopping and trying on new sizes and new stuff just makes you realize how far you've traveled. And to top it up, whenever I'm feeling particularly grey about this, my mum sends me a pic of what I used to look like 2 years ago and it suddenly all makes sense. :)

QFT:

also, it's not considered appropriate work talk in my office. The only time I'm allowed to comment on someone's figure is if they mention it first. I wouldn't do it. If you are a woman, I bet they are even more worried about harassment suits.
  • booncey
    booncey Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Awesome job so far! 3 sizes is DEFINITELY a big accomplishment. Keep it up and before long, you will get the "I didn't recognize you" comments. It's going to happen as long as you don't get discouraged. Be proud of yourself! You've earned it
  • SACasto
    SACasto Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror and still see this obese person. Its like everyday im getting bigger and bigger. No one at work has noticed either and ive lost 38lbs , 20% body weight and down three sizes. I feel like this weight loss is fake and the scales are lying to me.

I dont get why I, or anybody else can not see a difference.

Any thoughts?

Do you have a before/after picture?
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't comment on my coworkers' weights. Telling someone they look like they have lost weight is the same as telling them they are fat.
  • Motivatedin20131969
    Motivatedin20131969 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well put!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I didn't really notice a difference in myself much until about 40lbs down and that is about when everyone else seemed to notice as well. Congrats on your loss.. be very proud :)
  • DapperKay
    Options
    Honestly, I don't comment on my coworkers' weights. Telling someone they look like they have lost weight is the same as telling them they are fat.

Agreed. I personally don't comment on other people's appearance unless it can only be construed as positive e.g. "nice dress" or "I'm loving your new hair cut". Weight, a bit iffy, unless it is initiated by the person who lost weight.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    not to even mention the awkwardness of:

Coworker 1: Hey! You look like you have lost some weight!

Coworker 2: Yes. I have. I have cancer. I wasn't ready to tell you that.
  • DapperKay
    Options
    not to even mention the awkwardness of:

Coworker 1: Hey! You look like you have lost some weight!

Coworker 2: Yes. I have. I have cancer. I wasn't ready to tell you that.

That's one thing. The other is that in the workplace, especially in highly charged political ones like mine, giving people personal complements is often a sign of "sucking up" and can be held against you, especially when said in a vain non-sincere manner...