• SNorris01
    SNorris01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    2lstjiv.png

For those of us who watch both!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Oh, so here's another thought I've had about Sansa.

Bear with me.

My FL is familiar with my hatred of all things 50 Shades of Grey, but so that I could better criticize it, I listened to the audiobooks through YouTube. My thought was that 50 Shades is a 10-year-old girl's romantic fantasy and especially early Sansa reminds me so much of Ana (or the other way around, since Sansa was first). Only Ana is supposed to be an adult so in those books, it's annoying and ridiculous and just terrible, while for Sansa I think it's fabulous writing.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't think i hated the character at any point, but i will say she becomes more interesting as the books go on (which is basically what many of us are saying here). Can't really fault her for having a princess mentality at first, since she ticks nearly all of the boxes on the princess scorecard.

How about the fact that we actually started to like Jaime Lannister's character more as the books progress, or maybe that's just me...yikes.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    In the book i do not see a 180. I see her believe the Lannisters and she does say what she needs to survive. I am 3/4 the way through book 2 right now. She is just now deciding she was to get away and no marry joffery. But until not too long ago she still wanted to marry him thinking he would change once they were married. Very naive.

What are you reading? She wants to not marry Joffrey immediately after he kills her father. That gets established in book 1.

I can go ahead and start posting quote from the book. She does not hate Joffery right after ned is killed. she believes the lannisters that he was a traitor.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    No HBO for me so I'm reading the books (in book 4 right now). I'm on the fence about Sansa. Like others have mentioned I'm trying to keep it in mind that she is a child, but I keep coming back to the way she was being raised. The septon and her mother were basically grooming her to be a trophy queen. That's the way I see her and to me she's acting accordingly.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In the book i do not see a 180. I see her believe the Lannisters and she does say what she needs to survive. I am 3/4 the way through book 2 right now. She is just now deciding she was to get away and no marry joffery. But until not too long ago she still wanted to marry him thinking he would change once they were married. Very naive.

What are you reading? She wants to not marry Joffrey immediately after he kills her father. That gets established in book 1.

I can go ahead and start posting quote from the book. She does not hate Joffery right after ned is killed. she believes the lannisters that he was a traitor.
    I'm pretty sure you and I are not reading the same books.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was about the sensa you spread over your food to lose weight :((

Yep. Me too.
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't think i hated the character at any point, but i will say she becomes more interesting as the books go on (which is basically what many of us are saying here). Can't really fault her for having a princess mentality at first, since she ticks nearly all of the boxes on the princess scorecard.

How about the fact that we actually started to like Jaime Lannister's character more as the books progress, or maybe that's just me...yikes.
    yes I was surprised to find my self actually rooting for Jamie he has really redeemed his self in my eyes...and I absolutely despised him in the earlier books/seasons
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Because I would argue that Ned Stark's death is her fault. Yes, Ned does question Joffrey's birth but it is Sansa's request for mercy that pushes Joffrey to kill him because he's a little prick. I do kinda feel bad for her but she was never really one of my favorites to start with. I've always liked Arya better. I've only watched the HBO series so I don't know how it goes in the books. :P
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    When i saw the title i thought you meant the dietary supplement Sensa!! LOL! :blushing:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

:laugh: Right?

Anyway, I don't dislike Sansa. I kind of hated her when they got to King's Landing and she didn't vouch for Arya when that stuff went down with Joffrey and the little boy and Arya's wolf. But she learned her lesson. She's a young, self-centered romantic, so I get why people don't like her. But her character is growing and I'm exciting to see where she'll go next. Unless she dies. Because that's likely, lmao.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    IMO she acts helpless, she blames everyone for her problems, she thinks of herself over her family, its all about her. She is a brat who throws family under the bus. I dont care if she is 11 or not. She obsessive over being rich and married to powerful husband.

I think the is going threw traumatic stuff but she does not change her mindset much. She wants to be a queen and that seems to be all that matters.

I agree. I personally found that in the book she has no story of any merit. She's nothing, just fluff page filler. There is no point to having her. I'm a third of the way into the third book, she doesn't improve. She's either whining, crying, or head in the clouds about how handsome and dreamy Loras/Joffrey - whomever is. While I do not hate her character in the book, I find her to be annoying and boring and I just want to skip past her parts and get to the interesting characters.

Having said that however, I believe a larger amount of hate for her comes from the character portrayal in the Television series. She's quite irritating. Also, while she's 11 in the book, in the show she looks more like a petulant 16 year old that needs to be smacked.... well she does get smacked a lot by the Hound come to think of it. Maybe that's why she simmers down a bit toward the end of season 3.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

want me to post a photo of the cover of book 2?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    SENSA® just doesn't help you lose weight by itself and it makes your food taste funny. That's why people hate it.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Keep reading.

For me, Sansa is kind of dull-witted and I hate that she sees herself as so helpless. But you're right, the characters are complex, rarely completely good or evil.

This is exactly why I don't like Sansa. She think's she's so helpless and can't do anything for herself. I only watched the show though, don't read the books.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Sansa is REALLY annoying initially, and that first (and second and third and ninth) impression is difficult to shake. She definitely gets vastly better, but I understand why people have trouble getting over her early behavior.

Pretty much this for me. I don't think I'm ever going to like her mostly because of how much I disliked her at first. She does get better though as the books progress.
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    No insight here, just chiming in that I thought the title was "Why do people hate Santa?"... :)
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

want me to post a photo of the cover of book 2?

You may be reading the books but your memory has failed you on this one. Joffrey agrees to show mercy if Sansa writes letters to her family condemning her father and asking them to fall in line. She doesn't believe her father to be guilty - she just agrees to write the letters so they won't kill him. Then Joffrey kills him anyway, Sansa stays in her tower crying and sleeping for awhile, and when Joffrey shows up to tell her to get out of bed and attend to him at court, she begs him to just let her go home to her family. When Joffrey says they're still to be married, Sansa wails that she doesn't want to marry him and that she hates him. Then he has his guard hit her. From that point forward, everything she says and does to prevent being beaten.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I had a similar conversation with someone the other day. I said I feel really bad for Sansa and they said "Well I don't, she deserves it!"

Honestly I think her situation is heartbreaking--she wanted life at court so earnestly and idolized it for just a little too long and allowed herself to become a pawn because of it. She did start out the series as a selfish brat, but she's just a scared little girl that was a little too naive and stuck on the idea of being a Lady. I don't think she "deserves" what she got. Yes, she's definitely not as likable or dynamic as Ayra, but I don't hate her.

Now, I've not seen any of the 3rd season yet and I'm just finishing the first book, and I've found that my opinions of characters are pretty flexible (I really like the Hound after his actions in season 2) but I don't know if I could ever hate Sansa, I just pity her.
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I feel that a lot of people forget that Sansa is a young pre-teen/teenage girl. So of course she is going to be winey, and all that. I was certainly like that at her age.

I like Sansa in a way. She does what she needs to do, I mean she tried with all her might to save her father and family. (Well that's what I got from reading and watching the series)