Do you count the water in your protein shake...

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Sorry guyz but IFBB Pro said I should count the water in my shake. If I don't I will lose all muscle.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    So much magical thinking in this thread. Water is water. It doesn't matter if it has powder mixed into it. It's still water.

It will also still be water if you freeze it, pray over it, add carbonation, or even *gasp* steep tea leaves in it.

Heck most of our food has a high water content and that also contributes to hydration requirements. (Fruits and vegetables are 90%+ water) It's not like your body just throws it out because it came shipped inside a cucumber.

If you think that only pure water is useful for your bodies liquid requirements the burden of proof rests with you to prove it, because science and common human experience suggest otherwise.

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full

now that's just crazy talk!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    So much magical thinking in this thread. Water is water. It doesn't matter if it has powder mixed into it. It's still water.

It will also still be water if you freeze it, pray over it, add carbonation, or even *gasp* steep tea leaves in it.

Heck most of our food has a high water content and that also contributes to hydration requirements. (Fruits and vegetables are 90%+ water) It's not like your body just throws it out because it came shipped inside a cucumber.

If you think that only pure water is useful for your bodies liquid requirements the burden of proof rests with you to prove it, because science and common human experience suggest otherwise.

This. I drink about eight cups of tea a day and very little "pure" water. I have not died of dehydration yet.

Me neither, and I only drink "pure" water a few times a year. The only time I can stand it is when It's ridiculously hot out.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

This. I drink about eight cups of tea a day and very little "pure" water. I have not died of dehydration yet.

me neither.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    No, you ruined perfectly good water and now you can't count it........if you keep that up your going to expire from dehydration.:wink:
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i use milk and coffee =)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Water has zero calories, why would you count it? It's like counting the air you breathe. Water is the ONLY zero calorie item on earth.

Unless you are talking about the water per day factor? The I usually don't. In fact I hardly use the water part cause I get mine from coffee/pepsi/coke ect...... yeah I'm one of those people who still drink soda & coffee. I'm still losing as well :indifferent:
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Why can't people just drink water?
  • tazzy2805
    tazzy2805 Posts: 25
    Options
    i dont personally
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I count all liquids as water. A protein shake is a cup, even when I use milk :-O
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    NOPE, ..... I use milk in my shakes. I only count pure WATER as water intake. I pack 6 20oz bottles a day, that I drink at work, and I drink more at home, before and after work ....over a gallon a day of plain old water ...
  • Zoeeee_xx
    Zoeeee_xx Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    No, with the protein i have at the minute i only add 200ml water.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I hear when you add things to water it's no longer water, so eat my powder dry then chase it with water. That way it counts cause, you see, when you mix it outside of your stomach it's something else, but if it mixes in your stomach it's a-ok. That's why I'm allowed to count the water I have with my quest bar, which I sip after every bite (Because texture) but not the water from my tea.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    NOPE, ..... I use milk in my shakes. I only count pure WATER as water intake. I pack 6 20oz bottles a day, that I drink at work, and I drink more at home, before and after work ....over a gallon a day of plain old water ...

i do the same i have my pet bottle and each refill is mark one cup i count them as bottles =)
  • mjschumacher100
    Options
    So many crazy people out there. Water is not water if mixed with whey protein? What does it become exactly? Anyone that believes this, I would love to hear the science behind what happens to the water when it's mixed with protein and how your body processes the water differently? What are the new pathways created? Does the water somehow do something magical?
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What does it become exactly?

Magical 'non-water' apparently....

Each to their own.
  • SkepticallyFit
    Options
    This forum has been an eye-opening experience regarding the insane things people believe about nutrition.

Water mixed with protein doesn't count as water. I reject your reality and substitute my own!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Yes count it. i also count tea.
  • Keto_Keith
    Keto_Keith Posts: 73
    Options
    is this r/circlejerk?
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    So many crazy people out there. Water is not water if mixed with whey protein? What does it become exactly? Anyone that believes this, I would love to hear the science behind what happens to the water when it's mixed with protein and how your body processes the water differently? What are the new pathways created? Does the water somehow do something magical?

So, I'm curious. Do you count everything you eat and drink as water?? I mean, it all has water in it, right?? So, by your description, it should all count as water ......